MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome week merc67 General Discussion 2 08-23-2010 03:55 PM
Welcome Week Rep Help Cassanova Volunteering Opportunities 4 02-18-2010 11:25 PM
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
Welcome Week/Frosh Week Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-04-2008 05:30 PM
Welcome Week amplified First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 47 07-28-2008 06:15 PM

Welcome Week

Old 07-27-2010 at 09:42 PM   #16
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Sounds exciting >: O. Too bad I'm such a boring person. Oh there really aren't any labs in the first few weeks? That's a relief.
Old 07-27-2010 at 11:51 PM   #17
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia. View Post
So, welcome week goes on while we have classes ?
Weird.
Classes don't actually start until the Thursday of WW, and there aren't tutorials/labs so it's all good. The first class is usually just the prof going over the syllabus and sometimes lets you out early.
Old 07-28-2010 at 10:23 AM   #18
Olivia.

Liked: 9 Times

Ah, good to know. Sounds like something I'll be able to handle lol
I'm excited
Old 07-28-2010 at 11:22 AM   #19
drysdale

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Hey I am writng a series of articles based on experience in first year. They talk about stuff like moving-in, frosh/welcome week, on-campus/off-campus food, courses and much more. Check it out and see if they help answer a lot of your question and maybe better prepare you for Mac.
Link -> http://socyberty.com/education/simpl...r-first-years/

Next article coming this week. I hope you enjoy it
Old 07-28-2010 at 02:32 PM   #20
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I have to commute from the mississagua area? How easy is it o handle? Are there alot of night events?
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:10 PM   #21
Angoose
Elite Member

This is just a really random question, but is it recommended to bring a printer into residence? I don't really want to lug a million things on move-in day, especially larger devices. I'm hoping things are similar to high school where we can print things off in the library (For a fee, of course).
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:12 PM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
This is just a really random question, but is it recommended to bring a printer into residence? I don't really want to lug a million things on move-in day, especially larger devices. I'm hoping things are similar to high school where we can print things off in the library (For a fee, of course).
Yeahh... don't bother bringing it. You can print everything in the library. (Or, if you know someone on the faculty, you can get them to print it for you, he-he. ... I've never done this before. ... )
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:19 PM   #23
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Yeahh... don't bother bringing it. You can print everything in the library. (Or, if you know someone on the faculty, you can get them to print it for you, he-he. ... I've never done this before. ... )
Phew, that's a relief. I still haven't gotten my student card from Mac, though. Another user posted a thread about two weeks ago, and had already received it. I'm starting to think I messed something up somewhere >: O.
Old 07-28-2010 at 07:01 PM   #24
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I'd recommend a printer actually, depending on your classes. I knew many people in residence who used one. While you're technically able to print in libraries and at The Underground (the student union run printing place) you'll definitely save money in the long run by having a decent printer. When you need to print 10+ pages for one class every week, you'll wish you had a printer.

However, if you have many classes where you don't need to print notes, that probably won't be an issue.
Old 07-28-2010 at 07:30 PM   #25
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

It would have cost me a small fortune to not have had a printer. It was also more environmentally friendly, since I was able to easily print double-sided. Don't worry about all the stuff you bring at move-in--you won't have to move any of it up to your room anyways! The reps do all of that.

You can print stuff in the library, but I'm not sure if it's in colour (not a huge deal, but sometimes science notes have colour-coded diagrams and are easier to see in colour). It's also a huge pain to have to go to the library every day before it closes to print stuff off. I printed all my notes for class, so I'd print things on a daily basis, and often notes or assignments were printed well past midnight, when the libraries are closed.

I think having a printer is like having a fridge (for example, since it seems to be on everyone's mind )
You can survive without one, since there's one there for common use, but it's MUCH more convenient to have your own. In the case of a printer, it might actually be cheaper, depending how much you'd be printing. For me, it definitely was, including the cost of ink & everything.
Old 07-28-2010 at 07:41 PM   #26
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

so the notes that you print what exactly are those
are they required notes for daily lecturers?
Old 07-28-2010 at 07:51 PM   #27
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

They're not "required" in the strictest sense, but the profs assume you have them and are just supplementing those notes, so they don't usually go slow enough for you to copy down the slides and take notes about what they're saying. They're usually the slides the prof will be using, although the exact content varies with the prof. Sometimes they only post skeleton notes, which are the slides with some blank spots (to encourage you to come to class), or written notes that generally have the information from the slides on them, or occasionally fill-in-the-blanks (in case you wanted to go back to elementary school...) but usually it's the full powerpoint. So, you can see where that would be helpful in note-taking!

I'm pretty bad at traditional note-taking, because I've never really had to do it. I always print off the lectures (4-6 slides per page, double-sided) and take notes on them. For me, it's the most effective way of taking notes--I never learn as much in a lecture without them. If I had to, I supposed I'd learn though--I know some people who never print off the notes beforehand. You might find you don't need to...unless you've had a lot of experience with lecture-style teaching (which most people don't get in high school), you'll just have to wait and figure it out as you go
Old 07-28-2010 at 07:54 PM   #28
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

where are these notes posted
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:09 PM   #29
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Depends on the course, but for most classes they'll be on Avenue. Some courses have the notes in other places, but you'll definitely be told in advance where they are!
Old 07-28-2010 at 09:20 PM   #30
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
I have to commute from the Mississauga area? How easy is it to handle? Are there alot of night events?
Bump anyone? Sorry to interrupt this thread but i was wondering about this.