MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome week merc67 General Discussion 2 08-23-2010 03:55 PM
Welcome Week Angoose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 53 08-19-2010 10:58 AM
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
Welcome Week/Frosh Week Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-04-2008 05:30 PM
Welcome Week amplified First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 47 07-28-2008 06:15 PM

Welcome Week Rep Help

Old 02-18-2010 at 02:06 PM   #1
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Welcome Week Rep Help
Hi,

I really want to be a welcome week rep!

But I tried last year and I never got in... I'm really terrible at filling out the questionnaires. Can anyone be kind enough to give some pointers or advice to make it stand out?
Old 02-18-2010 at 02:10 PM   #2
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

Read the info on being a rep, and ensure you include stuff about upholding their main goals (equality, privacy etc.)
Old 02-18-2010 at 02:19 PM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I think it varies a bit depending on what you want to rep for (IRC, SOCS, Res, Maroons, Faculties), but in general just emphasize that you want to put first years first and make sure they have an amazing Welcome Week.

finklej likes this.
Old 02-18-2010 at 05:50 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Be concise.
Instead of saying:
"I babysat my neighbours kids each day for 4 hours over the course of 15 years, and ensured they were comfortable, safe and healthy" you could write something like:
"Successfully and responsibly babysat over 15 years, organized a soccer league for neighbourhood kids for 3 consecutive years, and performed skilled neurosurgeries pro bono for 50 years"

The reason you have so many questions is because each is highlighting a specific aspect that the reviewers are looking to read about.
So in volunteering work, they want to hear about what you did, and want to see some adjectives describing the skill level at which you performed that work as well as some brief details about the time period.

You don't need to go too much in depth if you have the opportunity of an interview. You can always elaborate on the things you referenced during that time.

When they ask "What can you bring to the job" - that's when you can feel free to discuss your positive attributes more thoroughly.
I'll elaborate:
"Discuss some previous volunteer work"
"Being the hard working individual that I am, and since I aspire to one day be a licensed neurosurgeon, I perform neurosurgery on the impoverished for free right now." -> Not ideal.

You can discuss your hard work and your aspirations in the other sections.
"Why are you a qualified candidate for this position?"
"I'm a hard working lepruchaun but also believe strongly in organizing my time and priorities and lucky charms, to ensure that I enjoy collecting rainbows while giving it my best."

You don't need to touch on "proof". You have provided this evidence earlier in your volunteer work/paid work descriptions

(I haven't applied for the WW position so this may not be entirely relevant. I'm sure other previously successful applicants would be happy to provide more details)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Cassanova says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 02-18-2010 at 11:25 PM   #5
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Be concise.
Instead of saying:
"I babysat my neighbours kids each day for 4 hours over the course of 15 years, and ensured they were comfortable, safe and healthy" you could write something like:
"Successfully and responsibly babysat over 15 years, organized a soccer league for neighbourhood kids for 3 consecutive years, and performed skilled neurosurgeries pro bono for 50 years"

The reason you have so many questions is because each is highlighting a specific aspect that the reviewers are looking to read about.
So in volunteering work, they want to hear about what you did, and want to see some adjectives describing the skill level at which you performed that work as well as some brief details about the time period.

You don't need to go too much in depth if you have the opportunity of an interview. You can always elaborate on the things you referenced during that time.

When they ask "What can you bring to the job" - that's when you can feel free to discuss your positive attributes more thoroughly.
I'll elaborate:
"Discuss some previous volunteer work"
"Being the hard working individual that I am, and since I aspire to one day be a licensed neurosurgeon, I perform neurosurgery on the impoverished for free right now." -> Not ideal.

You can discuss your hard work and your aspirations in the other sections.
"Why are you a qualified candidate for this position?"
"I'm a hard working lepruchaun but also believe strongly in organizing my time and priorities and lucky charms, to ensure that I enjoy collecting rainbows while giving it my best."

You don't need to touch on "proof". You have provided this evidence earlier in your volunteer work/paid work descriptions

(I haven't applied for the WW position so this may not be entirely relevant. I'm sure other previously successful applicants would be happy to provide more details)
That's what I needed! Thank you so much!