MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is welcome week fun at mac? 737300173 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 47 06-20-2011 10:40 PM
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
Welcome Week/Frosh Week Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-04-2008 05:30 PM
Welcome Week amplified First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 47 07-28-2008 06:15 PM
This Week In The Sil Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-08-2008 10:58 AM

Welcome week

Old 07-31-2011 at 09:32 PM   #1
Huzefa

Liked: 1 Time

Welcome week
So heres the deal, I'm a bit lost to be honest. I know that a Welcome day was on August 5th, I also think there was one before that, then there things such as Horizon and what-not. But when is the actual Welcome week. The website says the event dates are yet to be announced but I need to know earlier, since I need to buy the MacPass if I could make it on time. I'll hopefully be arriving in Canada on the 27th of August. Will I make it on time?
And Thank You in advance :rolleyes:
Old 07-31-2011 at 09:35 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzefa View Post
So heres the deal, I'm a bit lost to be honest. I know that a Welcome day was on August 5th, I also think there was one before that, then there things such as Horizon and what-not. But when is the actual Welcome week. The website says the event dates are yet to be announced but I need to know earlier, since I need to buy the MacPass if I could make it on time. I'll hopefully be arriving in Canada on the 27th of August. Will I make it on time?
And Thank You in advance
From the FYEO website: Saturday September 3rd to Sunday September 11th
Old 07-31-2011 at 09:37 PM   #3
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
And Thank You in advance
welcome day is just a day where u get information and stuff i think (i never went)
Horizons is like early orientation leadership thing where u have to pay to go (i never went)
ur not missing anything, what u dont want to miss is the welcome week which starts on september 3rd or 4th depending when u move in, so ur fine u'll be back in time
Old 07-31-2011 at 09:45 PM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

You're back 5 days before me... And I HAVE to be there. So no excuses about being late to return to Canada
Old 07-31-2011 at 10:34 PM   #5
vinny06

Liked: 3 Times

If you're arriving to Canada in August, you'll definitely be here in time for welcome week! Having said that, if you're planning on buying a MacPass I'm quite sure that if you buy it before August 5th, you will get 25 dollars off (price: $ 100.00). After that date the price will be $ 125.00.
Old 07-31-2011 at 11:09 PM   #6
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
And Thank You in advance
I'd like to point out that right now, its only August 1st. And yet you mentioned that "welcome day WAS on august 5th". That is grammatically incorrect unless you have mastered time travel, which scientists have recently said is impossible.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Old 08-01-2011 at 12:18 AM   #7
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Hey, is there any disadvantage if I miss a few days of welcome week? I'll be arriving to Canada on the 7th so I'll be in time for the first day of classes. Also, I heard ClubFest is on the 8th? So I definitely won't be missing that if it's then!
Old 08-01-2011 at 12:24 AM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IqzFendi View Post
Hey, is there any disadvantage if I miss a few days of welcome week? I'll be arriving to Canada on the 7th so I'll be in time for the first day of classes. Also, I heard ClubFest is on the 8th? So I definitely won't be missing that if it's then!
You'll miss out on the activities and meeting your fellow first years. But really other than having fun I didn't make any friends at welcome week. All my first year friends were from my residence and in upper years I made friends with people in my program.

Yeah, clubfest is on the 8th. But you can also contact clubs via the msu website. They have clubs and their contact information on the website. msumcmaster.ca
Old 08-01-2011 at 12:26 AM   #9
IqzFendi

alright, well i'm not really a first year, i'm a transfer student anyway so if that's all it's about then it's alright, i'm sure i can make a few friends in my classes and whatnot. And thanks, i did contact the clubs already! Just have to sign up with them on the 8th now so it's perfect!
Old 08-01-2011 at 12:58 AM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IqzFendi View Post
alright, well i'm not really a first year, i'm a transfer student anyway so if that's all it's about then it's alright, i'm sure i can make a few friends in my classes and whatnot. And thanks, i did contact the clubs already! Just have to sign up with them on the 8th now so it's perfect!
You don't actually have to sign up with them at Clubfest. You can join and leave clubs at any point during the year. In the end they just take your name and e-mail anyway, which they should already have if you've already e-mailed them. Just ask them to put you on their contact list.
Old 08-01-2011 at 05:22 AM   #11
j0sh

Liked: 4 Times

So by welcome week you mean Frosh Week ! Does anybody know who's headlining the concerts this year? When do we usually get that info?
Old 08-01-2011 at 05:26 AM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0sh View Post
So by welcome week you mean Frosh Week ! Does anybody know who's headlining the concerts this year? When do we usually get that info?
Yep, welcome week is frosh week! They haven't announced who will be playing this year yet, but it should be coming out really soon along with the schedule of WW. It'll show up here once that info is released: http://studentsuccess.mcmast er.ca/...come-week.html
Old 08-01-2011 at 06:50 AM   #13
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
I'd like to point out that right now, its only August 1st. And yet you mentioned that "welcome day WAS on august 5th". That is grammatically incorrect unless you have mastered time travel, which scientists have recently said is impossible.

Time Travel?!?! IMPOSSIBLE?!?! ...or so you think
The only reason I'm stuck in this damn time period... err... forum... is simply because I haven't found a reaction strong enough to generate the requisite 1.21 jigawatts :(

Seriously though, time travel's easy... I'm not so sure about the backward direction but for the forward direction just accelerate towards the speed of light or move further away from a large mass i.e. your mama... nah I'm just playing just move further away from the Earth (ask the astronauts).
Old 08-01-2011 at 08:46 AM   #14
IqzFendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You don't actually have to sign up with them at Clubfest. You can join and leave clubs at any point during the year. In the end they just take your name and e-mail anyway, which they should already have if you've already e-mailed them. Just ask them to put you on their contact list.
alright, sounds good..i shall shoot them all emails then
Old 08-01-2011 at 09:52 AM   #15
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

I just want to point one thing out that MacPass is not being sold on the spot now. So you have to buy it online and make sure you do it before the deadline or else you will not be able to attend many of the events.