MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Do I get to Toronto and back on Saturday? sdiddy General Discussion 12 10-23-2009 04:49 PM
Welcome Week Concert Annoucement lorend MacInsiders Announcements 78 09-08-2009 07:25 PM
Saturday 19th LAN Question nawedc Gaming 1 09-08-2009 11:39 AM
Welcome Week Concert Artists Confirmed! samantha__ MacInsiders Announcements 23 08-21-2008 01:06 PM
Outdoor Welcome Week Concert Update Chad ARCHIVES 3 07-27-2007 02:42 PM

Welcome Week Concert: the Saturday.

Old 08-08-2007 at 01:50 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Welcome Week Concert: the Saturday.
I can officially spill the beans now...IT'S METRIC!!!

I'm soooooo excited! Metric is soooo good.

FREE for students with a MacPass
$5 for reps with their lanyard
$15 for all other students.
Old 08-08-2007 at 08:18 PM   #2
lucc

Liked: 0 Times

Thank god. With Hedley and Faber Drive, this year's welcome week concerts were quickly beginning to look like a total bust. Metric is good, and Emily Haines is a babe, so that's good news. Last year was great though, Sam Roberts and Bedouin put on tight shows.
Old 08-08-2007 at 08:59 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

The free concert at/in faculty hollow has been a bust 75% of the time (or according to my music tastes, at least).
Old 08-08-2007 at 09:04 PM   #4
lucc

Yeah, I wish they would go out and get some kind of punk rock/hardcore band, but it would severely limit the number of people who are interested (even though I would love it). Someone who I would LOVE to see perform at Faculty Hollow would be K-Os. I think almost everyone would be into him, he's an engaging MC and a crazy lyricist.

But all in all, it still remains true that you can enjoy any music act if you get enough liquor in ya. Can I say that? lol
Old 08-08-2007 at 09:52 PM   #5
Josh

Haha yeah, with enough alcohol any music becomes bearable. Ahhh, memories... Anyways, someone like K-Os would be pretty sick. I'm not normally into that kind of music, but I think I could actually enjoy one of his concerts sober. I haven't heard much by Metric or Faber Drive, so I can't comment either way. I don't really like Hedley (ok, I can't stand them). But I'll suck it up, and try to have a good time just to meet new people. (Plus, if I paid for this, no matter how little, I'm going! Don't care! lol)
Old 08-08-2007 at 10:00 PM   #6
janeller

Liked: 3 Times

What kind of music does Metric Play?
Old 08-08-2007 at 11:05 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Metric is considered alternative. It's fairly mellow, as it's a female singing.

K-OS actually played at Mac in my first year the week after Welcome Week.

Aaand the indoor concert when I was in first year consisted of: protest the hero, bombs over providence, and sum41.
Old 08-09-2007 at 10:57 AM   #8
lucc

METRIC
http://www.myspace.com/metricband

HEDLEY
http://www.myspace.com/hedley

FABER DRIVE
http://www.myspace.com/faberdrive

p.s. Protest The Hero is a great band, I used to go to local shows and watch them before they were ever big. Now they sell out shows all over the place. And Bombs Over Providence is another good band, I can't wait until both release new material.
Old 08-09-2007 at 11:00 AM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Thanks for the links lucc!
Old 08-09-2007 at 07:59 PM   #10
christzak

i don't know lucc. new protest the hero isn't all that appealing to me. don't get my wrong, i like metal but i used to go to all their local shows as well when they played a calculated use of sound, pretty much front to back. those were great shows. you could actually sing along to that cd. but i'll give them credit where it's due. they improved as musicians tenfold and if you enjoy speed metal then kazia and their new album coming up is definitely for you. personally, i'm not in to them that much anymore. they should have stuck with their old sound or found a new singer

ps. i still enjoy a good bombs over providence tune. i swear they broke up though.
pss. i agree, bedouin played a great show last year at mac. 2 and a half hour set, partially in the rain
Old 08-09-2007 at 08:34 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

i actually enjoyed both protests; both are different, i realize, but they still appeal to me. and yes, i think bombs did break up as well.

and i found my closet monster hoody, after a year!! dance for me, minons!
Old 08-09-2007 at 08:38 PM   #12
christzak

yes! i have an old closest monster sweater that i bought at warped to something like 3-4 years ago. it's black with red writing in the upper left boobage area.
Old 08-09-2007 at 08:45 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

i hate boobage. lol.

mine's navy with a star on it...bought three years ago when they played with bombs, protest the hero and hostage life.
Old 08-10-2007 at 11:51 AM   #14
dbt10

HAAAAAAAA Metricccccccc... coked up Emily Haines and I get to see it for free. That's sweet.

I think it's really retarded how they stuck a $5 fee for Reps, if you have a lanyard you should be able to get in anywhere the hell you feel like because you sure as hell do a lot more work than you get credit for.

But christ Quarters will be packed if they are letting upper years in for $15, reps in for $5 and Macpass kids in for $free.99.
Old 08-10-2007 at 05:36 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Apparently it's at Faculty Hollow as well, where did you get Quarters from?

And yes, we (reps, especially residence and SOCS) deserve a HELL of a lot more credit than we get.