Course Selection Dates lorend MacInsiders Announcements 29 06-22-2009 09:26 PM
Important Dates Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-20-2007 12:54 AM
Important Dates Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-02-2007 04:00 PM

Welcome-week dates/questions

Old 05-26-2010 at 10:26 AM   #1
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Welcome-week dates/questions
I really want to get involved and meet new people (going into first year, none of my present friends are going to mac) but my sister is getting married the move in weekend! I won't be able to come until September 6th I think, which is a monday, and the last day of the long weekend. Will i miss the activities of the 2010/2011 "welcome week" in their entirety?
Also is welcome week when all the clubs are featured? I was really looking to join some clubs at uni.
Old 05-26-2010 at 10:36 AM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
Will i miss the activities of the 2010/2011 "welcome week" in their entirety?
No you shouldn't miss everything...there are still events going on the remainder of the week up until I believe it's the second day of class (?). Don't be worried even if you do miss some things because remember, Welcome Week is just one week. You still have plenty of time to get used to McMaster and meet new people in many different ways if you make the effort.

Quote:
Also is welcome week when all the clubs are featured? I was really looking to join some clubs at uni.
Clubsfest is the event that happens during Welcome Week where all the clubs are featured. I'm pretty sure it's usually on Wednesday of Welcome Week.
Old 05-26-2010 at 10:43 AM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Unless they changed how they run welcome week this year, no.

Last 2 years Clubsfest was on a Wednesday. If they do that again this year then you're good for clubs. If anything, you could always check the MSU website for clubs listings. There's also usually a second clubsfest later on in the year (but it's much smaller in terms of size and scale)

As far as meeting people goes, you'll probably miss out on some bonding with people in your residence. It'll depend on which residence you live in though; it's harder to meet new people in Bates and Keyes since there's no common room. In any case your CAs would probably host occasional floor events.

As far as meeting people outside your residence goes... I.e. faculty day or all those icebreakers on the football field... Chances are you're not going to remember them anyways.
(Or maybe it's just me... I'm extremely antisocial)
Old 05-26-2010 at 10:57 AM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Welcome Week goes until the 12th, so definitely not! There are some events you'll miss, but you'll definitely still be able to participate in most of it. There still isn't a set schedule of exactly when everything will take place, but based on previous years most of the major events take place after the weekend. You should be fine!
Old 05-26-2010 at 10:59 AM   #5
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post

Last 2 years Clubsfest was on a Wednesday.
I can confirm that it's been like that at least for the past 4 years, which is why I think it'll probably fall on a Wednesday again this year.

Quote:
As far as meeting people outside your residence goes... I.e. faculty day or all those icebreakers on the football field... Chances are you're not going to remember them anyways.
(Or maybe it's just me... I'm extremely antisocial)
haha it was like that with me too. There were just WAY too many people.
Old 05-26-2010 at 02:03 PM   #6
Guest253
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Im pretty sure (if its like the past 2 years) most of the welcome week stuff will happen monday onwards so you shoudnt miss much at all
Old 05-26-2010 at 05:06 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Just as a side note, Horizons happens in August (the 13th to 15th). It's a conference for first years'. I believe last year it was $175, but honestly it was worth it. I attended it last year and had an amazing weekend and met a lot of people that I saw later when school started. We were in smaller groups as well as activities with everyone else, so you definitely have a chance to meet tons of people in addition to having fun.

For more information, check out the site:
https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...o/overview.htm

And message me if you have any questions about the conference !