MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are you going to welcome week by yourself? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 41 09-08-2010 11:57 AM
Welcome week merc67 General Discussion 2 08-23-2010 03:55 PM
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
Welcome Week/Frosh Week Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-04-2008 05:30 PM
Welcome Week amplified First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 47 07-28-2008 06:15 PM

is welcome week fun at mac?

Old 05-23-2011 at 10:53 AM   #16
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Welcome week is the best part of the university. The whole first week of coming back to school feels awesome...only to be stopped by the stress and reality of the academic environment. :(
Old 05-23-2011 at 12:23 PM   #17
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Welcome Week can be fun and it's an easy way to make friends. But if you don't go, I doubt you'll regret it. Mac has lots of fun events and activities throughout the year - Welcome Week is only one of them. So if you can make it, try to go. But if you can't, don't worry too much about it.
Old 05-23-2011 at 03:04 PM   #18
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Welcome Week was easily the best time I had during my first year, and I didn't even take part in everything. Looking back on it, I wish I had have gone to everything because it was just so much fun.
Old 05-23-2011 at 04:15 PM   #19
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

is welcome week fun? is green grass green? lol. welcome week has tons of events. i was a socs and an eng so did i ever have a great time.

aspire.dream says thanks to MacPack for this post.
Old 05-23-2011 at 05:02 PM   #20
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

mcmaster ****s it up with their rulez. say hi to tim for me.
Old 05-26-2011 at 07:52 AM   #21
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Welcome Week was a solid 8/10. It irked me that parties got shut down before 11:30 every night, but I had a couple of GREAT concerts in '08 (Tokyo Police Club and AOF) and I met a few friends over the week.

I just wish they did more faculty based stuff for us, but I'm in Kinesiology with 200 other people, so it would have been better to meet people in our program early and often, but I digress...

Point is, go to events and enjoy it. You'll regret it if you don't.
Old 05-26-2011 at 09:18 AM   #22
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Absolutely right. If you go about it with an attitude of "this sucks", then its going to suck. But if you choose to participate, its freaking awesome. There's a lot of people every year that work throughout the summer to make sure welcome week is as amazing as it is every year.

I'm one of those people this year! Gah, so stoked to be a Hummer, can't even tell you.

I didn't attend all of Welcome Week, but still loved it
Old 05-26-2011 at 12:47 PM   #23
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Welcome Week in first year was awesome. If you party at night it can be hell trying to wake up to get involved in the events but it's well worth it. I woke up hungover as HELL on Shinerama day, but Shinerama was hands down the best part of welcome week for me. We set up shop outside of a Toys R Us and people paid $5-$20 to pie me in the face. Hilarity ensued.

Frosh week is even more fun as an upper year, keggers every night! Awwww yeah.
Old 05-27-2011 at 10:44 AM   #24
BigT905

Liked: 6 Times

welcome weeek is FUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
and u willl get luckyyyyyyyyyyyy
and u will have funnnnnnnnnn

lol..
Old 05-27-2011 at 11:09 AM   #25
Nort

Liked: 18 Times

Welcome week is fun if you aren't lame and don't spend half the time hiding in your dorm playing WoW.In other words: yes, yes it is.

AelyaS likes this.
Old 05-28-2011 at 07:41 PM   #26
ThagsanaR

Liked: 10 Times

I didn't even get a macpass, and I still found it pretty fun! Great way to meet new people, and relax a little before the reality of university hits you...but until then, make the most of welcome week and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

aspire.dream says thanks to ThagsanaR for this post.

DMe3, traveler10 like this.
Old 05-28-2011 at 08:50 PM   #27
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Welcome week is defs fun..I didn't enjoy it that much tho..i shall explain.

If you like going to the club and dancing definitely go to 1280 (the campus club) it's hectic during frosh I went and it was PACKED, walls were dripping...kinda gross but so fun. I didn't like faculty day, I left early, the people in my group were so lame and it was just not a fun time. The comedy show was great! The concert was good but I'm not into rock. The reason I didn't like welcome week THAT much was because of the no guests after 9 rule. I can see how being in any other res other than Keyes and Bates it would be fine to be confined in your res with just the people in the res and on your floor cause you can go floor to floor but it's a little more awkward in Bates and even if we did have parties they got broken up pretty easily. On top of that I had friends off res and in other residences and it would've been fun to hang out with them too and party with them but oh well other than that little bit it was great!!!!!!!

It's so nice to be at school and on campus and to not have to worry about school work, I didn't realize that until a little bit later. I guess that's what I wish I had realized more during frosh lol. Also after frosh it seemed that campus was SOOOO quiet. I'm looking forward to it being all rowdy again at the beginning of this year, the spirit is really nice!
Old 05-28-2011 at 10:45 PM   #28
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737300173 View Post
also does mac have alot of parties
Welcome Week is absolutely the greatest thing ever, just a unique social situation that will never ever get replicated anytime else at Mac. Whether it is good or bad is upto you and the attitude you approach it with, even if you were not so outgoing in highschool, it doesn't matter since you will be equal with around 3000 first year students at Mac so you have a prime opportunity to redefine yourselves and have fun. Going out to Clubs in Hess or outside Mac is something alot of first years have started doing recently as well(through people selling wrist bands) but I personally would advise you to stick to the regular WW Programming instead, since you can do the same club nights every weekend for the next four years but that one welcome week will never come back! But the regular programming DOES have two jam packed club nights at 1280 so as someone said earlier it has a bit for everyone.

There are alot of people who shy away from it or tell you to not buy the MacPass but I definitely think it is worth it. I've been a SocSci WW Rep for two years and this September I'll be repping Brandon Hall and SocSci again so I have definitely experienced my fair share to give you an honest opinion.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-12-2011 at 10:07 PM   #29
jessicalynn

Liked: 7 Times

welcome week was honestly the highlight of my first year! (:
it's such a good opportunity (especially if you're super awkward like me..) to put yourself out there, be loud, rowdy and meet new people. everyone acts ridiculous during welcome week, that's the whole point! honestly, go out to a few events and get the feel of things, you'll love it (:

RyanC likes this.
Old 06-12-2011 at 10:20 PM   #30
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

It's nothing to write home about.

traveler10 says thanks to Mazer for this post.