MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper Year Commerce Students - Commerce 1st year report CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 03-13-2011 07:46 PM
Commerce Internship after 3rd year? danman324 Academics 6 11-28-2009 07:15 PM
2nd year commerce MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 10-05-2009 09:41 AM
2nd year commerce tangs24 Academics 3 03-24-2009 09:51 AM

What's Second Year Commerce Like ?

Old 04-24-2011 at 01:14 AM   #1
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

What's Second Year Commerce Like ?
I'm thinking about switching into Commerce and I'm just wondering what the course load is like; preferably in comparison to Eng?
Old 04-24-2011 at 02:03 AM   #2
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p92 View Post
I'm thinking about switching into Commerce and I'm just wondering what the course load is like; preferably in comparison to Eng?
Eng has a higher workload, pretty much throughout undergrad. 37 units > 30 units.
Old 04-24-2011 at 02:35 AM   #3
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

and do you have any idea what courses they take 2nd / 3rd year?
Old 04-24-2011 at 02:52 AM   #4
Aftermath

Liked: 5 Times

I'm in the management program so I take a few of the second year commerce courses. Courses like marketing and organizational behaviour are just read, remember and regurgitate the textbook. You also have to do a few group assignments and presentations (and deal with unforgiving marking schemes, but I won't get into that).

Accounting and Microeconomics there is some application of math, but there is significantly less and less complicated math than engineering.They use some math concepts from pre-university calculus, mostly basic derivatives and substitution. Accounting is a mixture of knowing accounting standards and basic math.

All in all, I'd just say the heavy reading courses are where most of the courseload come from. If you're a slacker like me, expect to have heavy reading before midterms and exams.
Old 04-24-2011 at 02:56 AM   #5
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Courses:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1189.html
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1190.html

Also, if you want to transfer in, you'll need to apply (in case you didn't already know) and as far as I know, it's pretty competitive.

According to the document I attached the deadline to apply for an internal transfer was March 31st. If you are sincerely interested in transferring, I would contact the department immediately.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf InternTransCommIISept2011.pdf (65.2 KB, 4 views)