MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[urgent] "account is full (quota exceeded)" email problem WekSos Academics 3 07-06-2010 11:33 AM
When is Deferred Exam Grade Release? islytt Academics 1 06-24-2010 07:09 PM
"Twlv Eghty" on Facebook Kathy2 General Discussion 10 10-08-2009 03:39 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

What's up with girls posting "I like it on the..." statuses on facebook?

Old 10-07-2010 at 07:46 PM   #106
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

We should do something similar for cancers below the waist, specifically ovarian cancer which gets little to no focus.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-07-2010 at 08:00 PM   #107
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhorrible View Post
Sure, you got lots of people's attention... but what for? Does it actually do anything constructive, or just gets people speculating about your sex life with your cryptic messages that actually has nothing to do with expressing your sexuality? Why would you care for that? I don't know... maybe it's just me, but when I'm asked to participate in a "campaign", I like for there to actually be a point.
I don't really think it was a campaign, and the only point (in my opinion) is for girls to do something together that we can all recognize. Its like, we don't know the other hundred(s) of girls who are doing this, but we're all connected because we're doing it together. It was justa fun thing to do, I don't know why it's getting so much speculation.
Old 10-07-2010 at 08:31 PM   #108
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

The bra thing makes sense. Bra=boobs
Purse = ??? indicates you probably have boobs...??
Using purses and sex to tell people about cancer just doesn;t make sense. When I saw the message it was just about girl power etc.
Old 10-07-2010 at 09:24 PM   #109
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
The bra thing makes sense. Bra=boobs
Purse = ??? indicates you probably have boobs...??
Using purses and sex to tell people about cancer just doesn;t make sense. When I saw the message it was just about girl power etc.
BY JOVE I THINK YOU'VE GOT IT! IT'S ABOUT GIRL POWER! It has nothing to do whatsoever with breast cancer! Finally, someone understands.
Old 10-07-2010 at 09:43 PM   #110
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Or maybe, just maybe, it's a ploy started to prove just how stupid some people can be: "Oh everyone's doing this, maybe I should do it too!" Remember the days when every single person forwarded the chain letter email saying that if you sent it to x or more people, it'd bring you unicorn fart and fairy dust and a girlfriend? Well this is like that....just for Facebook.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 10-07-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2010 at 08:47 AM   #111
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

My actual facebook status:

I like it attached to a defenseless elderly woman, preferably with no witnesses around.

No, not really. I don't approve of this slacktivism though.

.:callen:., lizziepizzie like this.
Old 10-08-2010 at 09:14 AM   #112
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
My actual facebook status:

I like it attached to a defenseless elderly woman, preferably with no witnesses around.

No, not really. I don't approve of this slacktivism though.
BAHAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE IT.
Old 10-08-2010 at 09:19 AM   #113
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I don't carry a purse, so I guess my status would have to be, "I don't like it."
Old 10-08-2010 at 01:32 PM   #114
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Oh, so THAT'S what it's all about? :/

That's...dumb...

((I didn't want to say that! I'm a girl! But...there's no use denying it...))
Old 10-08-2010 at 02:13 PM   #115
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It depends on the message you received on Facebook. The one I got said it was to raise awareness for Breast Cancer, and another one I just received today linked to http://ilikeitonfacebook.com /.

Some girls might be doing it for attention, some girls might be doing it for fun, and some girls might be doing it as a viral campaign for breast cancer. It just depends on the message they got or how they got the idea. Either way, it's just a Facebook status. I'm not sure why people are getting so upset by it. If it really bothers you for some reason, you can click on a little button on the top right of someone's status (from your Facebook homepage) and block their status updates.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 10-08-2010 at 04:06 PM   #116
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I bet girls who don't carry around purses/handbags feel very left out with this.. :(
Old 10-08-2010 at 04:20 PM   #117
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
I bet girls who don't carry around purses/handbags feel very left out with this.. :(
I really don't.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-08-2010 at 05:03 PM   #118
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I like it on a store shelf with its expensive prie tag. I also like money in my wallet.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 10-08-2010 at 05:43 PM   #119
naimaa

Liked: 6 Times

Robyn Urback: Facebook’s “I like it” campaign pointlessly sexualizing tragedy
National Post October 6, 2010 – 4:47 pm

Many unsuspecting Facebook users have logged in this month to the harrowing news that their sister “likes it on the floor,” their coworker “likes it on the kitchen table,” and their mother, perhaps most disturbingly, “likes it anywhere, as long as its out of my hands.”

No, it’s not Facebook-hosted sexual liberation revival, but a campaign to promote breast cancer awareness. The movement went viral after a message began circulating between Facebook inboxes, suggesting women change their statuses to indicate where they typically put their handbags once they walk in the door — which was, somehow, to support breast cancer awareness. Women soon began ominously posting that they “like it on the couch,” or “like it on the dresser,” while the rest of the Facebook world scratched their virtual heads and asked, “What gives?”
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and last year played host to a similar campaign whereby women posted descriptions of their bra style and colour as their Facebook statuses. The idea again was to unite women for a pressing cause and keep men (*tee hee*) in the dark. That campaign, however, was at least loosely connected to the idea of breast cancer. While the ambiguousness of an out-of-context “black and lacy” Facebook post was paradoxical to the alleged intention of promoting breast cancer awareness, the region of the body, at least, was close enough.

But this month’s “I like it” campaign has virtually nothing to do with the disease that will be diagnosed over 23,000 times in Canada this year. Besides forcing a nonexistent link between breast cancer and where one puts her purse, the movement sexualizes a disease that is, as many can attest, not in the least bit sexy. Campaigns such as “Save the Ta-Tas,” which emerged in 2004 with svelte, good-looking models sporting skin-tights tees, have been similarly criticized for cheapening a very serious issue, but its mission, at least, centred around awareness and fundraising. The innuendo-laced “I like it” Facebook trend simply sexualizes an unsexy issue, to no favourable end.

Still, the provocative Facebook statuses make women feel as though they are making a difference, so it’s no wonder it has caught on so robustly. The problem is, the Facebook meme doesn’t do anything for the cause, and ironically may ebb motivation to actually go out and try to rouse some real awareness or fundraising. This is the exactly the type of “slacktivism” Malcolm Gladwell decried in his New Yorker column last week. Why would someone go out and organize a fundraiser, Gladwell asks, when weak-tie connections to online activism makes him or her feel like an actual difference is being made? The “I like it” campaign doesn’t ask much in the realm of effort from participants, so not only are they willing to post that they “like it right beside the door,” but they feel contented in believing that their status updates sufficiently contribute to breast cancer awareness.

Telling your Facebook friends and family where you drop your handbag has nothing to do with breast cancer. The sexual innuendo clouding the news of where you “like it” only trivializes the issue, and creates confusion that is paradoxical to the goal of spreading awareness. And while participants may feel as though they’re making a difference, they’re likely just sublimating any real effort to do so. Next year, rather than a status update loosely related to cup size or bedroom positions, how about link to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s donation page?

Read more: http://fullcomment.nationalp ost.co...#ixzz11rtvyTc3
Old 10-08-2010 at 07:14 PM   #120
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

So it's "breast cancer awareness"

Telling people about breast cancer (as if they didn't probably know more about it than the female changing their status) is gonna do NOTHING.

But at least you're generating awareness for all types of cancer that can affect all types of people, because they're all equally horrible diseases, right?

Oh wait.