MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Computer HELP? blackdragon Computers & Tech 20 07-10-2010 09:36 PM
need computer help Strongwiller General Discussion 4 12-03-2009 03:59 PM
Need computer help! kokosas General Discussion 16 08-01-2008 08:14 AM

Which computer is better?

Old 01-05-2015 at 12:14 AM   #1
MuFasaChua

Liked: 0 Times

Which computer is better?
I need a new laptop but I just don't know which one to get. I'm not a pro when it comes to computer stuff, so I need advices

I prefer a laptop that is light, fast processor, relatively sharp definition, SSD, relatively big storage

any recommendations?

an alternative is that if someone is willing to help me fix my current laptop , i can treat u a cup of coffee at Starbucks or Tim Hortons

Last edited by MuFasaChua : 01-05-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2015 at 12:36 AM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

What's your budget?

What's the problem with your old laptop?
Old 01-05-2015 at 01:02 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

What is your budget? Do you prefer PC or Mac?

I would recommend a Macbook Air. Checks off all your check boxes for features.
Old 01-05-2015 at 01:22 AM   #4
MuFasaChua

A couple months ago, my current pc's C Drive almost crash and now it does not connect to the internet. No matter how many times I've tried to restore and repair the detacted issues, it just doesn't fix. And it takes more than 30mins to shut down... (on avg it would be longer than that) Not sure what's going on... and how to repair it.

My budget is around $1000 (+/- a couple hundreds)

Last edited by MuFasaChua : 01-05-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-05-2015 at 01:42 AM   #5
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

what brend is that?
how old is it?
did you replace the drive?

we need more info dude. spill it out.
Old 01-05-2015 at 02:17 AM   #6
MuFasaChua

Its Sony (VAIO vpce45fg). I have been using this for 4 years. I have not yet change the drive or any other aspects of this computer (everything remains the same).
Other than the mentioned problems, the battery of this laptop does not last as long as before (my pc system recommanded me to change my battery)
Moreover, whenever it is on, it makes loud noises (gets even louder when i play videos)
As for the connection to wifi, it shows the available Wi-Fi but when i try to connect, it connects but it displays as limited connectivity (which basically no access to the internet)
I'm vry sure that there's no problem w the wifi itself cuz i have internet connection on my phone
Old 01-05-2015 at 12:35 PM   #7
Ponyo

Liked: 278 Times

if you can't fix it, look at:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/... a2a9cdc42en02
and
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...tab-tech_specs

good storage space, and not heavy

Last edited by Ponyo : 01-05-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2015 at 05:30 AM   #8
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuFasaChua View Post
Its Sony (VAIO vpce45fg). I have been using this for 4 years. I have not yet change the drive or any other aspects of this computer (everything remains the same).
Other than the mentioned problems, the battery of this laptop does not last as long as before (my pc system recommanded me to change my battery)
Moreover, whenever it is on, it makes loud noises (gets even louder when i play videos)
As for the connection to wifi, it shows the available Wi-Fi but when i try to connect, it connects but it displays as limited connectivity (which basically no access to the internet)
I'm vry sure that there's no problem w the wifi itself cuz i have internet connection on my phone
What kind of noises?

Batteries do go bad, you can probably find a used one that is better than the one you got.

As for wi-fi, there can be anything from bad wi-fi card to bad antenna connection. Both can be replaced relatively easy.

If you are looking for a new laptop, I suggest going with Lenovo Y40, it's on sale for less than 700 bucks now. In terms of battery life it's nothing spectacular, but all things considered it's the best laptop for the buck.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../y-series/y40/

MuFasaChua says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 04-14-2015 at 01:44 AM   #9
rteer

of course Macbook Air
Old 04-14-2015 at 09:10 AM   #10
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
This has been happening to a bunch of people this year and I bought myself a usb wifi adapter off amazon for $20 with shipping and it fixed the problem 90% of the time. As for the battery, again I bought one off Amazon that fit my 5 year old model for $30, when it retails for $90 from HP.

I know Mac engineering students get free windows downloads but not sure if others do. As much as I don't like the interface (although they fixed most stuff in 8.1), installing windows 8 brought wonders to my laptop. It was taking 15 mins to shut down/start up and now it takes around 30-secs.

As for loud noises, buy compressed air (and don't shake it!) and spray it into the vents on your computer. If you have never cleaned it before, it probably will have a handful of dust that comes out.

Total price of fixing computer, $60
Old 04-14-2015 at 12:07 PM   #11
AndreiTich

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Everything here is repairable if you take some time to buy replacement parts and clean it out. If you want to go for something new I would recommend either the lenovo U series or something from the Macbook Air line. Both will suit your needs and are in your preferred price range .
Old 04-16-2015 at 04:51 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I got the Dell XPS 13 a few months ago. It's a really nice computer; very light and pretty good battery life (~7 hours on average use). Due to the fact that there is almost no bezel, the laptop has the form factor or ~11 inch laptop, but with a 13 inch screen.

There is a 4K model and a 1080p model. I got the 1080p one and the screen is pretty phenomenal.

I never thought I'd ever see myself recommending a Dell before this thing.
Old 04-17-2015 at 11:43 PM   #13
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I got the Dell XPS 13 a few months ago. It's a really nice computer; very light and pretty good battery life (~7 hours on average use). Due to the fact that there is almost no bezel, the laptop has the form factor or ~11 inch laptop, but with a 13 inch screen.

There is a 4K model and a 1080p model. I got the 1080p one and the screen is pretty phenomenal.

I never thought I'd ever see myself recommending a Dell before this thing.
What happened to your Mac? I remember you saying some good things about your retina macbook pro as well, not too long ago. How would you compare the two machines, xps 13 and rMBP, overall and particularly in terms of build quality? More importantly, how good is the trackpad on the XPS? I'm yet to come across a better trackpad than what Macbooks have (although thats probably about to be ruined in the new macbook).

Last edited by nikJ : 04-17-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2015 at 10:53 AM   #14
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

I would highly recommend a refurbished Macbook Air (they are virtually brand new devices, just like 100-200 off the original price). Depending on the amount of memory you want in yours, you can get one between $929 and $1049. I just got one (upgraded from my previous Macbook Air)...they are great computers. Surprisingly durable, very portable, and very fast machines with extremely long battery life.

You can check them out here: http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/13 Mine got here in 2 days from the time I ordered it.

Last edited by Commie42 : 04-18-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Missed link
Old 04-18-2015 at 01:53 PM   #15
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Xps 13