MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy First Year Electives Curly-2 Academics 557 09-21-2013 05:34 PM
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
Easy electives siefer1322 Academics 13 06-10-2010 10:39 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM

which electives are easy

Old 06-27-2010 at 12:57 AM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

which electives are easy
I am planning to do Honours in Life Sciences and so I have some pretty tough courses and need some really easy electives. So far, I chose Health Studies 1AA3 because I heard it was pretty easy, not much work load (except for couple of assignments and quizes) and especially NO EXAM. I also took English 1A03 because I like this course and have done exceptionally well in it in high school. But I don't know if this course will be easy so whoever can tell me something about English 1AA3, it will be great help.
But can someone give me a list of some other easy electives as well for first year students in social sciences, humanities, linguistics, classics, or any related programs. Please help and thank you
Old 06-27-2010 at 01:08 AM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

There's already a lot of threads about easy electives if you scroll up a bit :p

I took English 1AA3 (I think, its Longer Genres, right?) and didn't like it. It wasn't difficult or anything, I just wasn't a huge fan of the book choices, or of the prof. I'm pretty sure Dr. Merrit is no longer teaching at Mac, so I wouldn't let that stop you from taking it. The book taught also change with the prof, so no worries there. Dr. King (I think that's what his name was) taught the course the other term, and I heard he was much better.

I also found Econ 1BB3 and Philosophy 1E03 to be both really easy.
Old 06-27-2010 at 08:47 AM   #3
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Perhaps you should go through the course reviews section. That will help you get a sense of what the courses are about and the breakdowns, then you can decide yourself if it looks "easy". Also keep in mind that what is easy for others may not be easy for you. Interest in the course subject plays a part as well!

luna likes this.
Old 06-27-2010 at 10:03 AM   #4
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

If you're scientifically inclined (which I assume you are, what with going into life sci :p) then Astronomy 1F03 is pretty easy. Very possible to get a 12 in.
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:27 PM   #5
luna

Liked: 10 Times

are there any earth and environmental sciences courses that are pretty easy and interresting?
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:02 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I would recommend not leaning toward an "easy " course but a course that you are interested in. I've repeated this many times so I'll use an analogy for this explanation: Taking an easy course is like cooking a frozen dinner. It's easy to do and time efficient but you don't really want to stand around and watch something defrost, and chances are you'll have to put in more effort just to stay motivated. However, taking a challenging course that is interesting to you is like making a dinner from scratch. It requires effort but because it requires effort you're more likely to do it right because you're concentrating and focusing cause you really want that cake or chicken or whatever. IMO, university is pointless when you tend toward what is easy because you don't challenge yourself. You get bored very quickly, you'll put off studying for those courses and you won't feel motivated to learn and therefore remember. If you want to learn how to cook, it's going to be relatively easy for you to cook dinner rather than somebody who doesn't care for cooking but is skilled at it. First year life sci is not really that hard if you budget your time and balance your lifestyle (exercise vs sleep; work vs social life). It's completely doable and you mainly get what you put into it.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

luna says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

nerual likes this.
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:44 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
It's completely doable and you mainly get what you put into it.
To quote a fellow chembio: "Effort input is equal to result output--it's putting yourself down that gets you"...remember that for next year! (regardless of your program )

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:46 PM   #8
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
are there any earth and environmental sciences courses that are pretty easy and interresting?
yes there are environmental science courses ENVIR SC 1A03, 1B03, 1G03. (i envy u! I couldn't take coz it isnt available to engineering students :@)
Old 07-02-2010 at 08:54 AM   #9
lizziemcg

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
I am planning to do Honours in Life Sciences and so I have some pretty tough courses and need some really easy electives. So far, I chose Health Studies 1AA3 because I heard it was pretty easy, not much work load (except for couple of assignments and quizes) and especially NO EXAM. I also took English 1A03 because I like this course and have done exceptionally well in it in high school. But I don't know if this course will be easy so whoever can tell me something about English 1AA3, it will be great help.
But can someone give me a list of some other easy electives as well for first year students in social sciences, humanities, linguistics, classics, or any related programs. Please help and thank you
Hey there , just thought I'd give you a heads up about health studies. I took the course as well in first year because there was no final. I'm still really glad I took it, but I will say I did not enjoy the course at all. It wasn't as easy as I would have liked it to be because it was too subjective. I like things very black and white and this course was too subjective for me. However, the prof (Dr. Penner) is pretty amusing and the videos you watch are usually pretty okay and even sometimes entertaining. I'd definitely stay in it because it's so hard to find a spot in, but just thought I'd let you know a bit about it because I was kind of let down when I realized the material was easy but the tests had weird questions, like things it seems no one remembers from class or that you never read about. However, he typically curves and it's not difficult to get a great mark.

In terms of easy courses, I found Geography 1HA3 easy. The labs are 2 hours, once per week and boring, but the work is really easy and the prof I had was awesome (Dr. Peace, he's great). There are a few assignments but they are very easy. Also, I found the only reason to do most of the readings was so you could answer bonus questions on midterms and the final.

Two other easy courses were Labours studies 1A03 and 1C03. 1C03 had one essay, one midterm and one final, while 1A03 had two essays and one final (both courses having tutorials as well). I found 1C03 better, while 1A03 had a lot more history involved. However, both were straightforward and the exams had no multiple choice. What I liked about the one midterm and finals was that they gave you, say 15 terms and asked you to choose 10 and define them; I'm not sure if you work well that way, but I find it's easier to earn marks that way.

If you're not too fond of writing, Econ 1B03 or 1BB3 (Macro and Micro) are both interesting, have no writing except note taking, and lots of online assignments that you get multiple tries on. I found them interesting (even though they are required for commerce) and a lot of life sci and eng students took them.

Hope this helped a little!

luna says thanks to lizziemcg for this post.

Commander likes this.