MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chem + grad school? Zimonada Academics 13 06-25-2011 12:38 AM
Mechatronics & Mgmt OR Biomed Elec Eng (PLZ HELP!) patso29 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 06-09-2011 01:10 AM
orgo chem in summer school? doppelganger Academics 21 04-02-2011 03:17 PM
Med School needs how much CHem? LBJ.MVP Academics 3 06-29-2009 12:50 AM
Chem 1aa3 summer school~ demelo_b General Discussion 0 04-21-2009 05:36 PM

Which eng stream prepares you better for Med School: Chem&BioEng OR Elec&Biomed

Old 07-09-2012 at 01:53 PM   #1
MehMehMeh

Liked: 0 Times

Which eng stream prepares you better for Med School: Chem&BioEng OR Elec&Biomed
Question stated in the title XD. I might as well elaborate on my question here.

Which of the two streams has content that is more relative to what is required as prereq knowledge for med school (would it be Chem&BioEng, since Med school requires decent amount of preexisting chem knowledge, or that both streams thoroughly cover knowledge required for med school?). I know that both these streams obviously do not cover as much knowledge for med school as covered by Life/Health Sci.

My second point would is; which stream allows a student to obtain a higher GPA, provided that same amount of effort is put in both/the student is willing to work his butt off?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-09-2012 at 02:02 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Honestly for med school either. For GPA depends if you're better at understanding physics+prgoramming or thermo/heat transfer stuff
Old 07-09-2012 at 02:24 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

You won't need the knowledge for med school. But you will need an excellent GPA, good references, great extracurriculars and a competitive MCAT. I'd suggest evaluating which stream is better suited for medicine based on those criteria.

Good luck!

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-09-2012 at 02:25 PM   #4
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Both of them prepare you for med school. I know that in Elec & Biomed you would be prepared to write the MCAT in third year. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Chem & Bio does incorporate more science courses (lots of biochem) since you also get a minor in biosciences but keep in mind that it is a 5 year program while Elec & Biomed is 4 years.
In terms of which stream gets you a higher GPA then it really depends on your strengths and interests. Do you like to learn about chemical processing or circuits and programming? Some people say that the Elec & Biomed program is harder because it's all crammed in 4 years (although you can take it in 5 if you like).

Either way, doing Eng to get into Med school is probably the hardest route you can take. If you really want med school, save yourself the pain and do a different major. It'll be one heck of a mission to get the grades you need for med school in eng.
Keep in mind that engineering is already paying >40 grand for engineering...
Old 07-09-2012 at 04:38 PM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

While engine is harder, it's more rewarding and develops problem solving skills better than probably any other degree. Medical Schools know this too, so don't be disheartened by the difficulty you face... It'll pay off if medicine is really what you want to practice. And if not, you can still finish your degree and have something useful! The Chem&bio degree will probably leave way more doors open for you after you graduate, than the health science degree.