MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

Which of the following courses need textbook?

Old 08-20-2011 at 09:22 PM   #1
peace

Liked: 1 Time

Which of the following courses need textbook?
Chem 1A03/1AA3
Physics 1B03
Bio 1A03/1AA3
Math 1LS3
Psych 1XX3/1X03
Kinesiology 1Y03
Econ 1b03

Thx
Old 08-20-2011 at 09:24 PM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Psych 1X03 has a courseware, but IIRC the textbook is completely optional

Econ 1B03 also has a textbook. If your prof is Holmes, though, she tends to read from her slides and for the most part the slides can get you through the course fairly well. You'll also get a virtual copy of the textbook anyways.

(Disclaimer: It's been more than 2 years since I've taken either one of these courses and they've both changed a bit since then)
Old 08-20-2011 at 09:40 PM   #3
R633

Liked: 24 Times

Math 1LS3 has a textbook, but you don't need it to do well in the course. This course has a courseware package that will supply you with more than enough practice problems to solve. It might be a good idea to get the text for the chemistry courses since it provides decent explanations to topics discussed in class along with a good number of practice problems.
Old 08-20-2011 at 09:43 PM   #4
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

I had PSYCH over the summer, so it was probably a bit different, but I didn't buy anything for that course and I think it's actually my highest mark to date. Easily doable since all the content is in the online web modules, which are basically lectures you can watch over and over and over. Why buy a textbook to double-check something you didn't understand in the lecture, when you can just go check the lecture again? The courseware is good for extra examples I'm told, but I'd hold off on it until you see if you actually need extra help for the material.

For chem and physics, I think it largely depends on how much difficulty you're having with the material. Like psych, if I could go back and do it again I probably wouldn't have bought them, since there wasn't a lot that needed clarification. Because these are first year courses, the material is pretty basic/general, so if you're having difficulty with anything you've already got loads of office hours/TA hours to go get help, not to mention you can easily Google anything related to these. Not to mention you also have online "practice" things for both courses (CAPA for physics, Avenue/MasteringChem for chem) that are pretty good for reinforcing concepts, and are easy mark-boosters too.

That being said, some people are just more comfortable learning out of a textbook. If you're one of those people, then pick one up just in case. It would suck to not have one right before that important midterm/exam because you thought you didn't need one.