MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm in Whidden! simpsda Whidden Hall Forum 97 09-03-2010 01:08 PM
Getting a tour of whidden olive First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-23-2010 02:33 PM
Whidden Hall '09 Chad Whidden Hall Forum 110 09-05-2009 02:12 AM
Whidden Question sarah1111 Whidden Hall Forum 4 07-05-2008 11:34 AM
Whidden Hall '07 lorend Whidden Hall Forum 26 07-02-2008 05:39 PM

Whidden '08

Old 07-05-2008 at 10:20 AM   #16
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
yeah the basement does tend to be all girls... which is why it's rather peculiar that stevennevets is in the basement. Maybe they finally changed it!! I really disliked the idea of an all girls basement in Whidden

...i don't think i'm a girl... and neither are my two roommates...

so i guess they did change it! but that means the 100s are in the basement? weird.
Old 07-05-2008 at 11:40 AM   #17
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

but there's a B before the number. I remember I was B126 and I thought I was on the first floor but wasn't
Old 07-05-2008 at 02:29 PM   #18
sara_

Liked: 0 Times

So i was definitely one of those ppl pumping up Whidden
When you guys get a fb group going, I'll post up some pictures of the rooms I took. And A is the top, B is the bottom, and C is the loft which is the top bed of a bunk with a desk underneath.

A and B actually have the most storage space. You guys get a whole closet with 2 big cabinets on top, a mirror that opens up with 2 shelves behind it, and then about 6 drawers. And THEN you guys have a corner desk with drawers and shelves too.

C only really gets the desk below them, a little closet underneath their bed, and about 4 drawers that's underneath the fridge.

And substance-free wings...to be honest...I think since I didn't live on one I didn't know the difference. So it's not as big of a deal as some may think it will be. You make friends with ppl on other floors

Arif, Chad all say thanks to sara_ for this post.
Old 07-05-2008 at 11:58 PM   #19
Ms.Williams

Can someone tell me how many bathrooms are there per floor?
Old 07-06-2008 at 01:14 AM   #20
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time

No storage booo!

Okay, so even though only one floor may be substance-free, other floors can still be idiots and not care about their health?

No storage...boo.
Old 07-06-2008 at 09:37 AM   #21
ferreinm
Elite Member

I know the basement has two bathrooms per floor with a total of 4 stalls. BUT we do have the fewest people on that floor, I believe we had around 30 and if we needed to use the washroom we were always able to.

As for storage, you can always bring shelves and organizers and other things for storage!

Ms.Williams says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 07-06-2008 at 05:20 PM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Williams View Post
Can someone tell me how many bathrooms are there per floor?
There are a total of three bathrooms per floor (floors 2-4). However, the number of bathrooms per genders varies per gender ratio. For example, when I was in first year the first floor had only 12 girls and 60ish guys. So they had two guys washroom and one girls washroom. However, on my floor there were 45ish girls and thirty guys, so there were two girls washrooms.

First floor there is at least two (they're the two I know of), but I'm not exactly sure how many more there are, if any.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Ms.Williams says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 07-06-2008 at 08:11 PM   #23
tee33

Hey... so I got a single room and I REALLY didn't want one it wasn't one of my choices AT all.. and im def not an upper year.. in your experience do you know of anyone that they let switch from a single to a double? its not like i want to switch a double to a single.. bahh im so bummed.
Old 07-07-2008 at 08:50 AM   #24
ferreinm
Elite Member

Unfortunately, you won't be able to switch from a single to a double. Lucky for you though! You'll be soo glad that you're not in a double later on. You'll be hearing tons of stories about roommates who just don't get along. You'll still meet so many people and be able to hang out with people when you want! But you'll also be able to sleep when you want, have friends come over without asking a roommate for permission and so on. You have more freedom! It's gonna be amazing either way!
Old 07-07-2008 at 04:22 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

tee33, take all of our advice as upper year students who lived in res. rejoice.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-07-2008 at 06:29 PM   #26
bauhaual

Tee.....if you're upset about living in a single because you don't think you'll meet as many people.....well then all you have to do since you're living in whidden is to hang out in the common room for the first couple weeks. Almost every single person on your floor will walk through the common room atleast once a day - either to get to a washroom, friends' room or kitchen. You'll meet a ton of people. Plus you'll also have the opportunity to meet a ton of people during welcome week so don't worry!
Old 07-07-2008 at 06:31 PM   #27
Duncanson

Does anyone know how big the bunk beds really are? Because I'm 6'4" and i'm pretty sure that I won't fit into it without having serious back problems later on.
Old 07-07-2008 at 10:57 PM   #28
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanson View Post
Does anyone know how big the bunk beds really are? Because I'm 6'4" and i'm pretty sure that I won't fit into it without having serious back problems later on.
Yeah, that might be an issue. The beds use standard single/twin sized mattresses, which Wikipedia helpfully tells me are 39 × 75" (97 × 191 cm).

So yep, you're a touch longer than the mattress :p

I'm only 5'10", and even I found that if I stretched out fully with my head at what I'd consider to be a "normal" pillow position, the ends of my feet would just overhang the edge of the bed.

In a normal (non-bunk & loft) room, they have bed extensions and longer mattresses that they can give you, but I have no idea how they'd accomodate you in a bunk & loft. Your best bet is definitely to call Housing and ask them as soon as possible.
Old 07-12-2008 at 01:16 PM   #29
amplified

So any number with a B before it means basement?
I'm B126 and I'm incredibly confused about this.

Either way I'm happy. But when I look for my room on Welcome Day, will I be looking for a room numbered "B126" or "126" IN the basement? Is this a stupid question?
Old 07-12-2008 at 01:35 PM   #30
amplified

Hmm. Furthermore,

I know some residences have stuff bolted to the floor. Is Whidden like this or can stuff be moved around?

Jussttt wondering!