MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safety shoes sashana Introduce Yourself 1 10-02-2010 03:52 PM
Safety Goggles Angoose General Discussion 5 09-20-2010 08:15 PM
Hthsci 1bs0: Bsl1 Biosafety Training oxelhs Academics 3 09-12-2010 09:15 PM
Volunteers Needed: Superhero Training Academy! Gabriella* Volunteering Opportunities 0 04-06-2010 09:56 AM
CA training Videlle General Discussion 4 08-23-2008 07:15 AM

WHMIS and Fire Safety Training Courses

Old 12-27-2008 at 05:03 PM   #1
jtk89

Liked: 0 Times

WHMIS and Fire Safety Training Courses
Does anyone know where I can receive WHMIS and Fire Safety Training?
Thanks for the answers in advance

JtK
Old 12-27-2008 at 05:45 PM   #2
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

you should ask your faculty... i did all my whims/fire safety stuff in september...
Old 12-27-2008 at 05:56 PM   #3
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Even if you have your WHMIS certification, you still have to do it at every job and such (I got certified (with a certificate and everything) through high school coop and I've done WHMIS 3 times since that). They want to make sure you know what you're supposed to know so they have no liability.

jtk89 says thanks to Maegs for this post.
Old 12-27-2008 at 05:58 PM   #4
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

p.s. are u in health sci?

if so, you might want to visit the fire and safety office located in hsc... 3rd floor i think... if not then 4th... blue area.

jtk89 says thanks to davey for this post.
Old 12-27-2008 at 07:56 PM   #5
jtk89

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks! I think I'll visit the fire safety office in MDCL.
And I did hear from another upper year student that you had to do those trainings again anyways. So this means there is no universal certification for these trainings right? So should I even consider getting trained before applying for lab volunteer positions and such?
Old 12-28-2008 at 05:07 PM   #6
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

If you get a volunteer position in a lab (on campus, at least), the prof will ask you to complete the trainings required for the setting that you'll be working in. So yes, WHMIS and Fire Safety are pretty standard, but you might have to do CAF training if you're working with animals, or chemical spill training. I wold focus on finding the position first, then doing the training after, when your supervisor requests it.,

jtk89 says thanks to Sarah13 for this post.
Old 12-29-2008 at 08:04 PM   #7
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

As I recall, you can do your safety training online through the EOHSS website.

http://www.ltrc.mcmaster.ca/eohss/index.htm

Fire Safety: http://www.ltrc.mcmaster.ca/eohss/firesafety.htm
Office WHMIS: http://www.ltrc.mcmaster.ca/eohss/officeWHMIS.htm
WHMIS Update: http://www.ltrc.mcmaster.ca/eohss/WHMISupdate.htm

To the left you'll see a link to the powerpoint presentation and a link to the test. Watch the presentation, print the test and take it. Hand it in to your supervisor.
Old 12-29-2008 at 11:08 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

EOHSS prefers you go to in-person training, though.

And depending on where you work on campus, there are group WHIMIS training sessions in May-ish (ie students who work in labs go to session y, k, b, p, q, students in offices go to sessions b, f, l, k). (letters are algebraic)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-30-2008 at 07:44 AM   #9
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

You can go, but, honestly, it's a big waste of your time.
Old 12-30-2008 at 03:55 PM   #10
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

It's pretty boring but it's not the end of the world. If you're doing it for a job you get paid while you're there so just sit through the hour and deal with it. You can't really get around it so you may as well suffer in silence. Just be thankful if you don't have to take the Violence training.... that comes complete with horrible video with plenty of 80's hair.