MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Career Fair -Networking Reception Graduating Students Alison MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-18-2010 02:27 PM
Are you attending McMaster Career Fair 2010? Bobby66 MacInsiders Announcements 7 09-21-2010 11:23 AM
ECE Poster Day today in CIBC hall DannyV General Discussion 4 04-06-2010 09:05 PM
Career Fair 2008 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 09-13-2008 03:13 PM
Career Fair 2008 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-27-2008 10:14 AM

Who's Hiring 2010? Career Fair March 11, CIBC Hall 10-2:30pm

Old 03-11-2010 at 03:02 PM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
I did some background research on some of the companies at the event and many of them were getting bad reviews. Some of them even considered scams. I personally felt that some of them were actual legitimate companies looking for students to hire, but the majority of them were just putting on a suit with nice pictures and trying luring you in. When I found out that one of them was a Tobacco company i was pretty shocked...

Anyways, my point is, why can't McMaster regulate what companies are allowed to be at this event, because I'm pretty sure that they don't want their students to learn first hand about these bad companies.

What's wrong with Tobacco companies looking for recruits? If you disagree with smoking, don't apply.

I mean, if you used First Class Painters or Vector Marketing as an example, I could understand. But tobacco companies are legitimate, they just happen to indirectly kill some people.

(and I'm pretty sure vector was there, so def feel free to complain about them XD)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-11-2010 at 05:53 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
What's wrong with Tobacco companies looking for recruits? If you disagree with smoking, don't apply.

I mean, if you used First Class Painters or Vector Marketing as an example, I could understand. But tobacco companies are legitimate, they just happen to indirectly kill some people.

(and I'm pretty sure vector was there, so def feel free to complain about them XD)
Vector was there, as was a painting company. (whatever Firstclass was renamed).

I was there giving spiels. Randomly. It was awesome.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-11-2010 at 05:55 PM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Vector was there, as was a painting company. (whatever Firstclass was renamed).

I was there giving spiels. Randomly. It was awesome.
Yea, I thought I remember seeing the name in the email commerce sent out. I kinda loled, but then felt shame that they're even allowed to come.

What were you spieling about? Vector? XDD

Old 03-11-2010 at 05:57 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Yea, I thought I remember seeing the name in the email commerce sent out. I kinda loled, but then felt shame that they're even allowed to come.

What were you spieling about? Vector? XDD
Nooo. I was at the TalentEgg table towards the end of the day.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-11-2010 at 06:02 PM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Nooo. I was at the TalentEgg table towards the end of the day.
Ohh, rofl. Well, that's still pretty cool. XDD
I woulda highfived you if it was the former though. ;D

Old 03-11-2010 at 06:40 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
I did some background research on some of the companies at the event and many of them were getting bad reviews. Some of them even considered scams. I personally felt that some of them were actual legitimate companies looking for students to hire, but the majority of them were just putting on a suit with nice pictures and trying luring you in. When I found out that one of them was a Tobacco company i was pretty shocked...

Anyways, my point is, why can't McMaster regulate what companies are allowed to be at this event, because I'm pretty sure that they don't want their students to learn first hand about these bad companies.

I think the problem is that these companies aren't actually "scam" companies - they are just really crappy and misleading. There was a semi-big deal last term about not letting CollegePro come on campus and advertise to students because they were so shady, but I don't think anything was ever finalized about that.

Basically, as long as McMaster is getting money, they don't care how the students feel about the company. It sucks but I don't see anything being done about it any time soon.

I agree though, I would love it if CollegPro, Vector and SpringMasters weren't allowed on campus anymore.

Old 03-11-2010 at 08:27 PM   #21
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I think the problem is that these companies aren't actually "scam" companies - they are just really crappy and misleading. There was a semi-big deal last term about not letting CollegePro come on campus and advertise to students because they were so shady, but I don't think anything was ever finalized about that.

Basically, as long as McMaster is getting money, they don't care how the students feel about the company. It sucks but I don't see anything being done about it any time soon.

I agree though, I would love it if CollegPro, Vector and SpringMasters weren't allowed on campus anymore.
Well yeah that was my personal pet peeve, After the thing within MSU BOD/EB sort of lead nowhere I went to Phil Wood the VP Student Affairs(Who also has a chair on the MUSC board of management) and explained the whole deal to him. He agreed to some extent that these companies aren't the brightest idea in class rooms especially when they pass around stuff and said that they don't have any explicit permission from anyone at all. They just sort of show up...

He said he will look into sending out an email at faculty level and talking to MUSC board of management but I am not sure what happened with that, will probably check up on that sometimes this month.

However the reason I haven't so far is because I have been told by a number of first years that College Pro/Vector/Spring Masters haven't made a comeback in class rooms.

As far as their presence in MUSC goes as an SRA member there is not alot I can do about it and as long as they pay good money for their tables there is not alot I can argue as a lone person against them that they cannot refute to the administration of MUSC. So getting rid of them from MUSC is not that big a priority for me at the moment, ensuring corporations aren't in class rooms seems a much more fairer cause.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-11-2010 at 08:31 PM   #22
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Well yeah that was my personal pet peeve, After the thing within MSU BOD/EB sort of lead nowhere I went to Phil Wood the VP Student Affairs(Who also has a chair on the MUSC board of management) and explained the whole deal to him. He agreed to some extent that these companies aren't the brightest idea in class rooms especially when they pass around stuff and said that they don't have any explicit permission from anyone at all. They just sort of show up...

He said he will look into sending out an email at faculty level and talking to MUSC board of management but I am not sure what happened with that, will probably check up on that sometimes this month.

However the reason I haven't so far is because I have been told by a number of first years that College Pro/Vector/Spring Masters haven't made a comeback in class rooms.

As far as their presence in MUSC goes as an SRA member there is not alot I can do about it and as long as they pay good money for their tables there is not alot I can argue as a lone person against them that they cannot refute to the administration of MUSC. So getting rid of them from MUSC is not that big a priority for me at the moment, ensuring corporations aren't in class rooms seems a much more fairer cause.
When you say comeback, do you mean this year completely? (and by year I mean starting in September)

b/c I'm in 2nd year commerce and they came by to a bunch of my classes in nov/dec.

Old 03-11-2010 at 08:40 PM   #23
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post

Thanks so much! Coming into lecture halls was the biggest problem for me because they were obviously targeting first and second year students, which is so wrong. I get that it's going to be very difficult to keep them off campus altogether. I think the best thing we can do is raise awareness to students about these companies and let them know what's going on.

Old 03-11-2010 at 11:06 PM   #24
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
Well the career fair did teach me one thing, directly out of university my science degree will be useless for anything other than government; good thing I plan to go to grad school, though it was rather depressing.

Old 03-11-2010 at 11:08 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Well the career fair did teach me one thing, directly out of university my science degree will be useless for anything other than government; good thing I plan to go to grad school, though it was rather depressing.
Hate to burst your bubble...but grad school isn't much better.

Old 03-11-2010 at 11:09 PM   #26
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post

I think the biggest issue with dealing with them is that they aren't scams. They are misleading, and they're obviously targeting naive kids, but there's nothing inherently scammy about what they're doing, especially since it is possible (though extremely unlikely) to make money in their given businesses.

Quote:
Hate to burst your bubble...but grad school isn't much better.
Wow... that's also rather depressing, I should go to grad school for something engineering related and hopefully actually get a job coming out

Really though, I wanna go to grad school for I/O Psychology and do business consultations. It's a rather secure career path; I've learned my lesson after just jumping into whatever program I liked after highschool.

Last edited by Tailsnake : 03-11-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Old 03-12-2010 at 11:59 AM   #27
Kathy2
Elite Member

I agree Tailsnake. We can't get them banned because they aren't scammers, but they shouldn't be on campus because they are so misleading. It's unfortunate. :(

It seems, these days, any degree other than an Engineering degree is useless directly out of university. :(!!

Old 03-12-2010 at 02:16 PM   #28
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Wow... that's also rather depressing, I should go to grad school for something engineering related and hopefully actually get a job coming out

Really though, I wanna go to grad school for I/O Psychology and do business consultations. It's a rather secure career path; I've learned my lesson after just jumping into whatever program I liked after highschool.
I actually talked to two grad students when I was at the TalentEgg booth. One kept mentioning something about if there were job postings for them even though they had an MA (i.e. implying they had more education, therefore shouldn't be subjected to an entry-level job).

If you don't have a lot of work experience, you will be applying to an entry-level position. The problem is even if you have more specialized education, you may not have the work experience to demand a better job right out of school, and thus are forced into a higher pay grade.

Here are some articles on why going to grad school may be a bad idea:
http://blog.penelopetrunk.co m/2007...aduate-school/
http://www.fastweb.com/college-searc...in-grad-school
http://chronicle.com/article/So-You-...to-Grad/45239/
http://www.petersons.com/common/arti...h=gr.gs.advice

There are tons more if you do a google search. I actually wrote an article about it, but it hasn't been published yet.

Old 03-12-2010 at 03:15 PM   #29
pedlark

Liked: 2 Times
Employers at Who's Hiring 2010 Fair
Hello:

The employers present on March 11th represent choice ... for some students the ideal fit may be a large private sector organization or maybe a not-for-profit. For others ... a more entrepreneurial opportunity may provide the chance to build the skills necessary to one day launch their own business.

As for the soon to be Science graduates ... there are many opportunities to apply your undergraduate degree within industry. Please stop by Career Services or your faculty career office if you would like to speak with a Career Advisor.

Kim Pedlar

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search