MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So who's planning on getting Trine 2? Yogurt Gaming 5 12-05-2011 02:29 PM
What are you planning after university? daxter General Discussion 46 10-21-2010 03:50 PM
timetable planning sparks First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-10-2009 08:53 AM
The How To: Event Planning ferreinm Getting Involved 0 01-18-2009 09:14 PM

Who's planning to go to law school?

Old 01-07-2012 at 02:03 PM   #1
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

Who's planning to go to law school?
Just out of curiosity who's planning to go to law school? State your year and program and what your grades are around if you wish.
Old 01-07-2012 at 02:11 PM   #2
hatorade

Liked: 13 Times

You start                            
Old 01-07-2012 at 02:51 PM   #3
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

I've always wanted to be a lawyer. I am planning on writing my LSAT next year. I'm in Poli sci (obviously). second year.
Old 01-07-2012 at 05:24 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I've always wanted to go into law. I've always been partial to Queen's, but now I'm seriously considering Western.
Old 01-07-2012 at 05:58 PM   #5
eccentrikkk

Liked: 8 Times

2nd year student with a 8.1 GPA... Law School would be my ideal plan when I graduate, however I don't think most people realize the demanding requirements of Law School, ie. a minimum of a A- GPA or a 10 GPA... In addition to a score of *I believe* 90 on the LSAT, and an awesome entrance letter
Old 01-07-2012 at 06:00 PM   #6
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrikkk View Post
2nd year student with a 8.1 GPA... Law School would be my ideal plan when I graduate, however I don't think most people realize the demanding requirements of Law School, ie. a minimum of a A- GPA or a 10 GPA... In addition to a score of *I believe* 90 on the LSAT, and an awesome entrance letter
90 on LSAT sounds really really low. Good score is 160+

Amaryll, Desda like this.
Old 01-07-2012 at 07:23 PM   #7
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

160+ is the 90th percentile...so it's the same thing.
Old 01-07-2012 at 07:43 PM   #8
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
I've always wanted to be a lawyer. I am planning on writing my LSAT next year. I'm in Poli sci (obviously). second year.
Why next year? You'll only be in 3rd year, you still have practically 2 more year before you finish your BA. If anything the logical choice would be to take the September LSAT when you start 4th year. I get that they give you 3 chances for the LSAT in a 2 year period but...

I'm considering law school. My first year average was decent but definitely something I want to improve on. Still trying to decide what strand to go into, criminal law being my current #1 pick.
Old 01-07-2012 at 08:44 PM   #9
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Wanted to go into criminal law as well, until I further realized that most, if not all, lawyers are contemptuous, immoral sharks who bring out the worst the system has to offer.

Would prefer a more respectable position now, I think. Teaching comes to mind.
Old 01-07-2012 at 09:09 PM   #10
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

Ye u need over a 10 GPA which equals to a 3.7 on 4.0 scale. Is this difficult at Mac and what is an ideal social science/humanities major that can help you achieve this, aside from the fact to major in something you enjoy.
Old 01-07-2012 at 09:37 PM   #11
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
Is this difficult at Mac and what is an ideal social science/humanities major that can help you achieve this, aside from the fact to major in something you enjoy.
Major in something you enjoy. The more passionate you are about it, the likely you are to do better in it.

The undergraduate degrees that best prepare you for Law School are arguably Economics, English, Philosophy, and Political Science.
Old 01-08-2012 at 12:25 AM   #12
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

[quote=Goran;300114]Why next year? You'll only be in 3rd year, you still have practically 2 more year before you finish your BA. If anything the logical choice would be to take the September LSAT when you start 4th year. I get that they give you 3 chances for the LSAT in a 2 year period but...

I would feel better if I wrote it next year just because I wouldn't have the worry of fourth year, and the opportunity to see what is expected. Criminal law is awesome but I would never be a defence lawyer, so I would be responsible for protecting society etc, etc.
Old 01-08-2012 at 04:10 AM   #13
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Why next year? You'll only be in 3rd year, you still have practically 2 more year before you finish your BA. If anything the logical choice would be to take the September LSAT when you start 4th year. I get that they give you 3 chances for the LSAT in a 2 year period but...

I'm considering law school. My first year average was decent but definitely something I want to improve on. Still trying to decide what strand to go into, criminal law being my current #1 pick.
lol you can apply any logic to when you want to do your LSAT. summer after my 3rd year is what i plan to do.. give me enough space to practice without worrying about school while leaving me ample time to apply to law schools afterwards and not worry about actually having to write the test itself in my fourth year. as well lets me focus on my fourth year marks.. so if anything the "logical thing to do" would be before your fourth year

Misspolitics likes this.
Old 01-08-2012 at 11:17 AM   #14
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Wanted to go into criminal law as well, until I further realized that most, if not all, lawyers are contemptuous, immoral sharks who bring out the worst the system has to offer.
Haha, ouch. Idk I've met a few lawyers and they seem like decent people. Some of the specializations (criminal law and even family) do get flak just because they deal with sensitive subjects, but lawyers don't really make the system "worse" in any way. Lawyers are just 1 type of player within the legal system.

@Misspolitics, AlexB---I guess it just depends on the person. I would want to wait till after 3rd year just because it would give me more of a chance to further improve my writing skills and take some law related courses. Pol Sci 3N06, philosophy 3Q03 etc. would probably help at least a little.

Moving on, anyone considering taking a prep course for the LSAT? What strand of law are you hoping to get into?
Old 01-08-2012 at 12:01 PM   #15
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Haha, ouch. Idk I've met a few lawyers and they seem like decent people. Some of the specializations (criminal law and even family) do get flak just because they deal with sensitive subjects, but lawyers don't really make the system "worse" in any way. Lawyers are just 1 type of player within the legal system.

@Misspolitics, AlexB---I guess it just depends on the person. I would want to wait till after 3rd year just because it would give me more of a chance to further improve my writing skills and take some law related courses. Pol Sci 3N06, philosophy 3Q03 etc. would probably help at least a little.

Moving on, anyone considering taking a prep course for the LSAT? What strand of law are you hoping to get into?
I think if anything would help the most its the actual LSAT prep courses. on on hand you will need to know how to write well, and have a deep understanding of the law.. but you have to jump through the :SAT hoop before you can even think of law school. thats what i believe anyway, so developing legal and writing skills when you need critical thinking skills for the LSAT seems a bit of a mismatch. i could be wrong and those courses do help in someway, but thats how I've always looked at it.

in regards to what type of law, i didn't want to forget entirely about my undergrad degree, so i wanted to do family and real estate, initially. lately I've been thinking about corporate though.