Jobs at mac ? WavesSea Volunteering Opportunities 7 07-14-2008 04:19 PM

why aren't there any jobs out there?

Old 05-05-2010 at 09:46 AM   #16
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Congrats McMaster12 on the job success!

If you get a free seasons pass for working there that's not a bad perk at all... could go anytime after work I guess and enjoy yourself. Rollercoasters are so much fun!
Old 05-05-2010 at 09:48 AM   #17
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times

wonderland actually gives you 4 free tickets =D so you can treat the family! =D

Thanks Chad!
Old 05-05-2010 at 11:49 AM   #18
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Sweet! I wish I could just go to Wonderland anytime and have a fun weekend.. every weekend. haha I wonder if it's possible to get bored of Wonderland?
Old 05-05-2010 at 11:53 AM   #19
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Also check out http://www.employmenthamilto n.com/ Looks like their job board isn't up right now, but they say they place over 1000 students... give them a call and see what's available?
Old 05-05-2010 at 06:02 PM   #20
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

The fact of the matter is that any job that's posted ANYWHERE online is going to be a tough one to get. There are people out there in their 30s - 60s who have been downsized and are looking for jobs, and even they are applying to some of the jobs that they may previously have considered "below them" prior to the shift in the economy.

If you want to have success, you need to do 2 things:

1. Continue your online search, but ensure that your resume and cover letter really stand out. If 200 people apply to a job, your cover letter will get a 10 second scan, and if it's not up to snuff, no one will even look at your resume. Check TalentEgg for articles on how to make your cover letter/resume unique, eye-catching, and memorable.

2. Take advantage of your network. Think about who you know who may have some work for you, or who may know other people in a position to give you work. Don't just write this off either. Think hard. Everyone likely knows SOMEONE who can at least give a referral at a decent company, which could be exactly what you need. An independent job search offline can yield way better results than one online, as long as you're willing to put in the effort.

lorend says thanks to sniderj for this post.

Chad, SOCS like this.
Old 05-05-2010 at 06:02 PM   #21
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Also, good luck to everyone, and keep trying!
Old 05-05-2010 at 07:15 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Sweet! I wish I could just go to Wonderland anytime and have a fun weekend.. every weekend. haha I wonder if it's possible to get bored of Wonderland?
If you work there, I would say it's easy to get bored.
I used to work at a waterpark and I hated it. It's painful to watch hundreds of people having fun and laughing while you're stuck sitting in like 30 degree heat.

You wouldn't think so, but for some reason, a lot of customers at amusement parks are downright miserable. You'd think they'd be happy but from what I've seen, they really aren't.

Chad says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 05-05-2010 at 08:14 PM   #23
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Also check out http://www.employmenthamilto n.com/ Looks like their job board isn't up right now, but they say they place over 1000 students... give them a call and see what's available?
For the summer job service with EH you have to go to their office at 67 Victoria St to look at positions. They won't post online at all. I had a job last summer that used the summer job service as a wage incentive. Most jobs are general labour or office work.

Chad says thanks to JBeans for this post.
Old 05-06-2010 at 01:54 AM   #24
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Before I got my job, I saw a lot of postings on the government job bank for YMCA Youth Internship positions. They're only available to people 15-30, which eliminates over half the competition for jobs, and considering most kids 15-18 are high schoolers and still in school, makes it even less competitive. Pay looks like minimum wage, but even that's $400+ a week for full time hours.
Old 05-06-2010 at 11:34 AM   #25
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I know I work at Career Services but honestly when I apply to jobs I actually get them. Yeah I have experience and all. However, what makes me stand out is how solid my resume and cover letters are. They honestly wouldn't be that good if I didn't have my resume critiqued by the people in my office. I work at Career Services and even I have my resume double checked before I apply to a job. I also did hiring for the IRC for two years in a row and honestly we didn't give so many people an interview because their resumes/cover letters were absolutely brutal. Trust me, the drop in services at Career Services are really good. You'll have a way better chance of landing that summer position that is really competitive if you have a strong resume.

Also, there still are a ton of employers hiring now who are desperate for students.
Old 05-06-2010 at 01:08 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Just to echo what Nicole has said, there are tons of jobs out there. You just have to put in the effort to apply to them properly.

That means:
  • No spelling and grammatical errors on your resume
  • Including a cover letter
  • Making sure you know what company you're applying to (it happens all the time...)
  • Catering your application to each company
  • Knowing what your online footprint is like

Remember to network. Many jobs don't get posted because someone knows of the position beforehand. Although I applied to my internship, I got it because I already was involved with the company.

Also, you need to do something worthwhile with your free time. That means either part-time work, volunteering or some kind of student group involvement. They teach you LOTS of skills and you can mention them in your resumes and applications.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

SOCS likes this.
Old 05-06-2010 at 02:11 PM   #27
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Before I got my job, I saw a lot of postings on the government job bank for YMCA Youth Internship positions. They're only available to people 15-30, which eliminates over half the competition for jobs, and considering most kids 15-18 are high schoolers and still in school, makes it even less competitive. Pay looks like minimum wage, but even that's $400+ a week for full time hours.

I was looking at some of those, and some of them require that you DON'T have a diploma. And I was like, are you kidding me?
Old 05-06-2010 at 07:38 PM   #28
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I was looking at some of those, and some of them require that you DON'T have a diploma. And I was like, are you kidding me?
Yeah, there's a lot of those posted on online job sites. It's to help people who don't have high school diplomas get experience they wouldn't otherwise be able to get.
Old 05-06-2010 at 09:54 PM   #29
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Are you serious? I didnt inquire about any, for obvious reasons (:p), but that seems kind of counterproductive. I understand the reasoning for it, but, at the same time, a qualified person should be getting the job.
Old 05-07-2010 at 10:31 AM   #30
SOCS

Liked: 0 Times

I agree with a lot of what's been said on here. It's been extremely difficult to find a job- even through the year. However, I took SOC SCI 2EL0, and even though it was a lot of common sensical stuff that I had already done to my resumes and cover letters, it's good for people who aren't sure if their resume or cover letters are any good or anything.

Career services is pretty good at helping you make your resume and cover letters better, and I recommend checking them out if you're unsure about your resume and have other questions!

http://careers.mcmaster.ca/

cheers!