UTS Student Jobs Chad Volunteering Opportunities 2 01-29-2009 02:37 PM
Jobs at mac ? WavesSea Volunteering Opportunities 7 07-14-2008 04:19 PM

why aren't there any jobs out there?

Old 05-09-2010 at 09:48 AM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

If you're still looking, please read this: http://talentegg.ca/incubator/2010/0...ob-read-these/

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-09-2010 at 11:35 AM   #32
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
I know I work at Career Services but honestly when I apply to jobs I actually get them. Yeah I have experience and all. However, what makes me stand out is how solid my resume and cover letters are. They honestly wouldn't be that good if I didn't have my resume critiqued by the people in my office. I work at Career Services and even I have my resume double checked before I apply to a job. I also did hiring for the IRC for two years in a row and honestly we didn't give so many people an interview because their resumes/cover letters were absolutely brutal. Trust me, the drop in services at Career Services are really good. You'll have a way better chance of landing that summer position that is really competitive if you have a strong resume.

Also, there still are a ton of employers hiring now who are desperate for students.
would you mind sharing your resume? if not that's cool, i just need to look at what constitutes as a great resume.
Old 05-09-2010 at 11:38 AM   #33
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

The thing that Reeves is talking about is BS. I called for one of their jobs and they made me do like a 10 minute questionnaire over the phone. Their last question was "do you plan on returning to school?"

I said yes, and immediately she said "well, the good news is is that you're continuing your education but the bad news is is that these are 6-10 month positions and we're looking for people who aren't returning to school or who have graduated."

Kind of defeats the purpose of looking for STUDENTS.
Made me rage.

To be honest, to hell with the job search. I've been at it for over a month now (and it's certainly harder without a bus pass) and people literally have me running around in circles: "oh, the hiring manager is in from 8-5pm monday to friday so come on in tomorrow." I come in tomorrow only to be told that they're only the head manager and the hiring manager will be in next tuesday so come back then.

It's annoying.

I strongly believe that if a company's looking to hire someone, it's the company that should be out there looking for qualified canditates. Not the other way around.

As far as cover letters go... I think it's also a load of garbage. I think anyone who's still looking for a job now is looking for a dead end job at a fast food place... From someone who's applied to a LOT of fast food places and ALWAYS hand it in to a manager, I can tell you that they don't read it. They automatically flip to the resume part. Yea, they're probably a good thing for higher end jobs, but definitely not for minimum wage positions. IMO.

ALSO, question. Has applying online EVER worked out for someone? I swear, there isn't anyone who looks at them. I think they just rot. >_<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Vic.And likes this.
Old 05-10-2010 at 12:03 PM   #34
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I'm sorry, but OSCAR blows. I could be biased and maybe it's that my own qualifications aren't adequate, but I've never even gotten a call back and I started applying for jobs on March 1st. Same thing last year. Everyone who I know, who don't go here are like, "Why don't you just get a job at your school?" So not that easy.

I don't know anyone who's had much luck with OSCAR either, and they've had more experience than me. :/

What I can suggest for all of you who are in the same boat, there are Employment Hamilton centres located at Jackson Square & 67 Victoria St South, where there are summer jobs specifically for students that you can apply for. Print out a bunch of resumes, go down there and fill out some forms. They will forward your resume and applications to the employer.

What I'm planning on doing now is going to places like Limeridge and personally giving resumes to managers, that seems to work better in some cases.
I'm not sure, it depends on the individual who's hiring. I myself got hired by the school back in September, and my employer extended my work contract for the summer (and I'm assuming for as long as I want the job from what it sounds).

You'd be surprised how many little things could possibly prevent someone from not hiring someone when it comes to handing resumes/cover letters at Mac. Having talked to some professors and other workers here in the office, some of the biggest and most common errors that students make when handing out resumes is that they tend to make simple errors (like spelling the employer's name wrong), or even neglecting to include a name and simply addressing them as sir/madame. People seem to forget that cover letters should, to some extent, be custom tailored to meet the specific requirements of each individual submission.

There were a couple other tricks that I had up my sleeve that I used to get my job (and my boss was particularly impressed with, hence her reason for hiring me from what she has told me - and I was a person of no office experience - versus two other girls whom has previously worked in the office as well). But I won't be giving out my trade secrets . I will say one thing though; some people undermine the usefulness of some of the management courses we have in engineering & management, but there's a lot of neat tips to be had.

However... there was an odd number of students applying for jobs at Mac this year. Before my contract was extended, my boss noted that she received an absurd number of applicants this year; apparently that largest number she has ever received in all her years here. So, in those regards, it may have been tougher this year. And there is a bit of a game of chance as well. But keep trying, the jobs at Mac are definitely better for students than anywhere else, because most of the employers are aware of the circumstances of students and/or are looking for someone with those particular skills, whereas out on the street, you've got the rest of the world to compete with (including drop out tim from Highschool, Joe Shmoe from down the street, etc.)

Last edited by RoyK : 05-10-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2010 at 12:28 PM   #35
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Royk, I'm assuming you just used & recommend OSCAR for jobs at Mac or is there someplace else you would recommend?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 05-10-2010 at 12:48 PM   #36
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Royk, I'm assuming you just used & recommend OSCAR for jobs at Mac or is there someplace else you would recommend?
That is pretty much the only place you can find work at Mac. Otherwise, it's word of mouth. The last method is good for those looking to work with profs in particular for Research assistant type positions. I've had a friend who was talking with his prof after class and he actually approached my friend with the position.

Believe me, you can find jobs in the most unexpected places/scenarios. They may not be numerous, but never count anything out

huzaifa47 says thanks to RoyK for this post.
Old 05-10-2010 at 01:06 PM   #37
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

maybe i should talk to profs more next year...i almost never do
Old 05-12-2010 at 01:56 PM   #38
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

ALSO, question. Has applying online EVER worked out for someone? I swear, there isn't anyone who looks at them. I think they just rot. >_<
I got my first job last year from an online application. I had to e-mail the employer with my cover letter and resume, and then they called me in for an interview. Unfortunately, the job didn't even start until late August.

This year I got an interview from an online application, and got a ton of interviews from online applications last year.

I went to several locations and handed in my resume, but have NEVER gotten an interview from those, last year or this year. That's messed up.
Old 05-12-2010 at 02:38 PM   #39
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

DEYTUKRJUBS!!!!!!

... seriously ... Oscar is good, but most people wont have the qualifications for most jobs. Oscar is also good because out of the 25000 students, 50% arent here during the summer, 20% have work guaranteed to them through family, 10% cant understand Oscar, 15% have program specific co-ops, so really there are only 1250 people on oscar,

and frankly most university students are spoiled brats whose parents pay for everything, so you can take off another 70%. So if math still holds true in this universe, there are -16,250 students not applying for jobs ... which in human-speak would translate to 16250 students are posting jobs for other students to get employment.

and really 90% of people dont know about oscar.

Oscar is better than other job websites. There might be less selection, but at least the people somewhat pay attention to the hiring process using oscar. I have had the (dis)pleasure of sitting through the hiring process at previous jobs I have had. Using online job postings make employers sooooo lazy and speed up their way to irrationally discount applicants. Dont hate the player, hate the game.
Old 05-12-2010 at 02:41 PM   #40
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Looks like it is back to hooking for cheeseburgers for me

anyone know any lonely rich older women?

J-Met likes this.
Old 05-12-2010 at 04:47 PM   #41
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Two things:

Unemployment decreased: http://talentegg.ca/incubator/2010/0...ays-stats-can/

And if you are still looking for a job: http://twitter.com/TalentEgg/status/13866401864

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-13-2010 at 07:58 AM   #42
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Two things:

Unemployment decreased: http://talentegg.ca/incubator/2010/0...ays-stats-can/

And if you are still looking for a job: http://twitter.com/TalentEgg/status/13866401864

I'd like to know how those stats are conducted. Considering april is the month where many youths are typically beginning their summer employment, I question whether or not that trend is compared in a month to month basis for 2010, or compared to the previous rate of employment in April of 2009. Because it's one thing to say employment increased for youths in comparison to 2009, and another to say it increased from the previous month, keeping in mind that the previous months are typically the time where students are crackin' down for their finals and looking for jobs in April - so it'd be only logically to say youth employment increased.
Old 05-13-2010 at 09:04 AM   #43
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

We're still getting a ton of jobs uploaded onto OSCAR everyday. There are plenty of jobs out there still. If you need any help with securing a summer job feel free to ask me or come to Career Services. Just because most people started work May 3rd doesn't mean that hiring has stopped.
Old 05-14-2010 at 07:19 PM   #44
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
I'd like to know how those stats are conducted. Considering april is the month where many youths are typically beginning their summer employment, I question whether or not that trend is compared in a month to month basis for 2010, or compared to the previous rate of employment in April of 2009. Because it's one thing to say employment increased for youths in comparison to 2009, and another to say it increased from the previous month, keeping in mind that the previous months are typically the time where students are crackin' down for their finals and looking for jobs in April - so it'd be only logically to say youth employment increased.
I really have no idea.

Most students start work in May, though. Plenty of universities have exams in the first week of May (UofT coming to mind immediately) on a regular basis.

Old 05-16-2010 at 05:32 AM   #45
ViktorVaughn

Job Bank is a useful tool. I found two summer jobs there in the past.

Student: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/srch_eng.as...0&Student=Only

General: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/srch_eng.aspx?OfferpP age=50

kanthamd says thanks to ViktorVaughn for this post.