MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster: Why Did You Choose It? feonateresa General Discussion 56 09-05-2009 11:11 AM
If u had to choose... LBJ.MVP Academics 38 07-11-2009 03:28 PM
how to choose nadia1 Academics 9 07-03-2009 01:10 PM
Should i choose Mcmaster? please give me some advice! lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-11-2009 02:22 PM
How to Choose a Residence lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 9 05-29-2008 03:54 PM

Why did YOU choose McMaster?

Old 08-25-2008 at 11:21 PM   #16
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

McMaster wasn't originally my first choice... Actually, the second I went onto Waterloo's site to check out possible programs, I thought, "I want to do engineering here!" and I didn't consider McMaster as anything more than a backup plan. I started reading more about both schools ( my third choice was just extreme backup - UOIT, as I really did not want to go to the University of Torture ) and Waterloo seemed considerably more interesting even with its faults, and Mac was just Mac.

But then this year, I visited Mac many times... Physics Olympics, Fall Preview, Engineering Experience Weekend, and to visit one of my friends. Almost every time, it was gloomy and rainy. But the campus was just so gorgeous even when it was gray outside and everyone was so nice and helpful! And it just seemed right for me. I also visited Waterloo twice, and though it was always sunny, it just didn't feel right. This was the school that I thought I was convinced on! I continued to flip-flop for the entirety of grade 12, and I even made a huge pros/cons list for both. XD

And then I was worried about what people would think, since everyone knew I really wanted to go to Waterloo, and most of my friends are going there too... Plus I kinda-maybe had a crush on my friend at Mac and everyone knew, haha ( but I assure you that it wasn't a factor in deciding ). But I guess life worked out for me, because a few days after I secretly clicked "accept" for McMaster in early May, Waterloo told me I wasn't good enough for them. Which was okay with me, since then I totally had a cover story for my decision ( I didn't really tell anyone I wanted to go to McMaster ), and I also learned that for one of my teacher's participation in the Physics Olympics, I could get $100.

That's my longwinded story! XD I suppose it also helps that Hamilton doesn't have sucky transit, and ( being the most indecisive person in the world ) Mac has a general engineering program, and my dad is an alumnus so he's so excited I'm going to his school.

kenvin100 says thanks to Iman for this post.
Old 08-25-2008 at 11:35 PM   #17
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Lol, all of you have wonderful stories.

I, on the other hand, was peer pressured into it.
Old 08-25-2008 at 11:46 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

And thus your story requires explanation, RenoV.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-25-2008 at 11:47 PM   #19
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Care to explain Reno lol

@ Iman: so the girl is at Mac too..awww, (so sweet) that almost happened for me too..but the girl i knew is a (cant say it here) and shes off to Ryerson..good riddens

@Dvy88: True say, without this forum , I dont think I'd be at Mac too..im honestly gonna buy a cake for Chad! Shake his hand and say "Bless your soul" seriously..amazing idea!

but I agree competitive wise..Uni of Torture is too much and I rly dont want to take a course called "Proof" at Waterloo..but I do realize the fight isnt over just yet!

Wow the reponses are great, plz keep it up!

Old 08-25-2008 at 11:56 PM   #20
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

As the days go by, I keep feeling better and better about choosing Mac

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HRzaOFhec

:bo unce1:
Old 08-26-2008 at 12:38 AM   #21
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
@ Iman: so the girl is at Mac too..awww, (so sweet) that almost happened for me too..but the girl i knew is a (cant say it here) and shes off to Ryerson..good riddens
Contrary to what my name leads you to believe, I'm female! =P You'll prolly see the guy at welcome week - he's a redsuit. XD
Old 08-26-2008 at 06:31 AM   #22
kenvin100
Elite Member

Sorry, I hope I can meet this redsuit and you together then!

Old 08-27-2008 at 10:39 AM   #23
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Oh mann. Where do I start. McMaster wasn't my first choice-- when I was a little girl that is. Living in Toronto, it's sort of expected that you'll go to one of the three universities here. Growing up with overprotective parents, I was happy to know that I would finally gain some sort of independence after highschool. So going back to Kevin's post, I really wanted to get away. I still didn't know too much about McMaster then, not a lot of people did at my highschool.

But I met someone who went to McMaster, and that got the ball rolling. In my second last year of highschool, I started reading up about it, and I wasn't THAT enthused yet since I didn't even know what program I wanted to get into.

That all changed when I visited the campus. It's so damn beautiful there, and the people are really nice, and it's very diverse -- going back to Kevin's post again, coming from Toronto, Mac is like a home away from home with it's diversity. I just fell in love with the atmosphere, because it wasn't intimidating like York, nor was there a lack of atmosphere due to scattered buildings like U of T. McMaster just feels like home.

When I then went to a different highschool for my last year, a lot of people knew about McMaster, and one of my teachers had even went there-- he told a lot of Hedden stories =). I knew a lot more about what I wanted to do in life, and no surprise, McMaster was there for me in that department too. So there you have it. =D

(This forum helped a lot too!)

kenvin100 says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 08-27-2008 at 08:47 PM   #24
hmac

Liked: 0 Times

Two words- Arts & Science.
Oh wait, that's three. Darn.
But anyways, when only one university in the country offers the program you want, well, it made my coice pretty easy. The only thing was whether they would accept me... luckily I got in. Accepted my offer the day I got it.
Old 08-27-2008 at 09:22 PM   #25
kenvin100
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Oh mann. Where do I start. McMaster wasn't my first choice-- when I was a little girl that is. Living in Toronto, it's sort of expected that you'll go to one of the three universities here. Growing up with overprotective parents, I was happy to know that I would finally gain some sort of independence after highschool. So going back to Kevin's post, I really wanted to get away. I still didn't know too much about McMaster then, not a lot of people did at my highschool.

But I met someone who went to McMaster, and that got the ball rolling. In my second last year of highschool, I started reading up about it, and I wasn't THAT enthused yet since I didn't even know what program I wanted to get into.

That all changed when I visited the campus. It's so damn beautiful there, and the people are really nice, and it's very diverse -- going back to Kevin's post again, coming from Toronto, Mac is like a home away from home with it's diversity. I just fell in love with the atmosphere, because it wasn't intimidating like York, nor was there a lack of atmosphere due to scattered buildings like U of T. McMaster just feels like home.

When I then went to a different highschool for my last year, a lot of people knew about McMaster, and one of my teachers had even went there-- he told a lot of Hedden stories =). I knew a lot more about what I wanted to do in life, and no surprise, McMaster was there for me in that department too. So there you have it. =D

(This forum helped a lot too!)
When you say big 3, u talkin about the big three in toronto..

When I was a child, oh lord, I was givin a lecture about the "big 3" UofT Downtown, University of Waterloo, and McMaster University lol..so I guess I can add another reason to my list..Parental influence

Old 08-27-2008 at 09:37 PM   #26
Holly

University of Ottawa was originally my first choice university. I went to visit the campus and have a tour etc. Maybe it was the fact that I went in March when it was cold and grey, but the university grounds seemed very cold, sterile, and the buildings looked very militant. Many of the buildings were very spaced apart through out the downtown and there was no real sense of campus. The tour was really boring and no one seemed enthusiastic really... I also learned that I really don't like Ottawa. I had heard so much about it being beautiful... but I found that there is an extreme polar opposite between those that have, and those that have not in the city. There are certain parts of Ottawa that are kept up for tourists and the government workers, and then there is the other part that houses a huge homeless and addicted population. I was very suprised to find this. Ottawa seemed like a sham to me. I know there are many people that love Ottawa, but I did not feel comfortable there. In addition, I felt like I didn't fit in with the mostly white, conservative, civil servant population. I've got dreads and a facial piercing and perhaps different way of dress, as does my other half... we are by no means WAY out there... but I still felt like I got the most cold and hostile looks I had ever had in my life. I hated it.

Okay... so enough of why I DIDN'T choose UofO....

I chose Mac because of the beautiful campus (one that actually feels like a campus community). I love the bike trails, and the walking trails on campus. I love the fact that in Hamilton you have access to the city and to nature (as opposed to Toronto where the city is harder to get away from). It's close to Toronto... it's got a couple music venues... is more laid-back than other, stuffier cities.... I just think it's great And rent is cheaper than T.O and Ottawa! That's always a plus.
Old 08-28-2008 at 07:13 AM   #27
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
When I then went to a different highschool for my last year, a lot of people knew about McMaster, and one of my teachers had even went there-- he told a lot of Hedden stories =).
Your teacher must be pretty young. Hedden was built in 1993...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-29-2008 at 09:50 AM   #28
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

@ hmac:

There is also an Arts & Science program at McGill, actually. But I'm pretty sure those are the only ones in Canada. If you live in Ontario and didn't want to go too far, obviously Mac would have been the better choice : ).
Old 08-29-2008 at 09:37 PM   #29
hmac

@nh999
From what I heard/saw, the Artsci program at McGill wanted you to pick a specific focus (eg Anthropology & Biochemistry) as opposed to the more general courses offered here. Distance doesn't make much of a difference- I'm coming from Vancouver so it's going to be a large move either way.
Old 08-30-2008 at 10:29 AM   #30
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Your teacher must be pretty young. Hedden was built in 1993...
Yup! =) I think he was in his second year of teaching highschool, so he was pretty much fresh out of teachers college and McMaster. My school had a lot of younger teachers and it made it really fun.