MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are YOU doing for reading week? escape General Discussion 57 01-24-2010 07:37 PM
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
Reading Week smiley12 General Discussion 2 10-25-2007 04:53 PM
Reading Week! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-16-2007 04:04 PM
Reading Week Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-12-2007 10:32 PM

why do we only have one reading week?

Old 10-25-2009
MDCL
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-25-2009
lorend
Old 10-25-2009
MDCL
Old 10-25-2009 at 09:22 PM   #16
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I was originally annoyed that we didn't have two reading weeks but as we move into November, I feel somewhat glad we don't. In first year, a lack of a reading week really forces you to be on the ball and pushes you to work your hardest. As well, you don't have to worry about wasting the week which some of us, especially those still adjusting, may inadvertently do due to excessive tiredness etc

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-25-2009 at 10:05 PM   #17
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

I have heard that the reason the University of Calgary has a mini reading week in october tied in with thanksgiving and an extended chirstmas holiday is because of high suicide rates. The rationale is that if you have more time off/study time you are less stressed.
I am sure to most students though an additional reading week will be lost on them. People use reading week as an excuse to relax not to actually read. I know there are some out there that do study during it but from everyone I know you would be in the minority.
Old 10-25-2009 at 10:07 PM   #18
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I have heard that the reason the University of Calgary has a mini reading week in october tied in with thanksgiving and an extended chirstmas holiday is because of high suicide rates. The rationale is that if you have more time off/study time you are less stressed.
I am sure to most students though an additional reading week will be lost on them. People use reading week as an excuse to relax not to actually read. I know there are some out there that do study during it but from everyone I know you would be in the minority.
I've heard the same, especially with Universities in Northern Ontario.
Old 10-25-2009 at 10:20 PM   #19
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Maybe I should clarify my stance.

For my program specifically I feel like we would benefit from a week off in order to have time to focus on working on our major projects and assignments that will be due. We don't have exams in most of our courses so the bulk of the course mark is made up from our progress on, presention of and the final product for our major product. Therefore less lecture time doesn't really affect us all that much. We cover a lot of material important in aiding us in creating our final project this is true but there isn't normally an exam at the end (sometimes tests within the course) that we need to be able to cover a set amount of material for.

I have a lot of projects and assignments with due dates approaching in early November and presentations to prepare for etc. I personally feel a week off at this point would be very beneficial, but that is just me and based on my courses and what is going on at this point in my education.

Obviously lots of people disagree with me and they feel they need the extra time to cover material in lecture that will no doubt be on their final exam and I understand this. Just clarifying that having time to work on my projects would be worth it to me, I don't feel it would be a waste of my money.

Awwww, they just don't understand the plight of the poor MM student. Group flash projects = hell on earth.

I feel your pain, I really do.

sew12 likes this.
Old 10-25-2009 at 10:21 PM   #20
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
Awwww, they just don't understand the plight of the poor MM student. Group flash projects = hell on earth.

I feel your pain, I really do.
Ah yes group flash projects. That's one of the many things I need to start working on this week. Please Flash, be nice to me.
Old 10-25-2009 at 10:23 PM   #21
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

I'd bring cookies to the lab, but my key doesn't work anymore. :(
Old 10-25-2009 at 10:29 PM   #22
sew12
Elite Member

Cookies will be a necessity and coke and pizza and my fix of choice soy chicken nuggets and sweet potato fries from Bridges. Must put money on student card.

Commuting and Multimedia sucks. I miss being in residence where I could spend all night in the lab, walk a few meters back to my room and crash and get up the next morning and do it all again.

Rendering Maya all night lab party memories *sniff*
Old 10-25-2009 at 10:39 PM   #23
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Okay, so, I was talking to a couple friends the other day, and one of them mentioned that a girl had committed suicide recently due to midterm stress. Apparently, I don't know if this is true, but the reason some schools have two reading weeks is because their suicide rate was apparently higher than Mac's, because of stress related to school, and that's why they have 2 reading weeks as opposed to one.

I don't know exactly.. I mean, it's the first I've heard of such a thing.
Old 10-25-2009 at 10:44 PM   #24
sew12
Elite Member

That's crazy.

I mean I've been known to get extremely stressed out over exams to the point where I become physically ill but I've never thought of killing myself over it. It sucks but you get through the few days, or couple weeks or whatever and its hell but you move past it.

That's so sad.
Old 10-25-2009 at 10:46 PM   #25
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

At Mac?
On Thursday, I think or it may have been Tuesday, the flags were flying at half mast. And I thought that was strange because there wasn't any specific occasion to remember (Remembrance Day etc) and if there was we probably wouldn't have Homecoming music blaring everywhere...I asked my sister later (who's a 4th year at a different university) and she said it was probably because a student passed away

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-25-2009 at 11:16 PM   #26
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
At Mac?
On Thursday, I think or it may have been Tuesday, the flags were flying at half mast. And I thought that was strange because there wasn't any specific occasion to remember (Remembrance Day etc) and if there was we probably wouldn't have Homecoming music blaring everywhere...I asked my sister later (who's a 4th year at a different university) and she said it was probably because a student passed away
another thread explains why the flags were lowered ...it was to remember a prof that passed away
Old 10-25-2009 at 11:22 PM   #27
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

It's not so much that a second reading week is needed. It's more of a case where the workload (readings and assignments) and their respective due dates needs to be more reasonable. Many seem to forget that moderation is best. Then again, it's not like it's impossible to manage these things but when the problem affects so many students you kind of need to adapt to the needs of the population even if it is their own fault.

pinkpiggydoe likes this.