MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a doctor on campus? Faer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-24-2010 04:31 PM
Doctor Pulled Over Trying to Save Patient jordan19 General Discussion 3 08-22-2010 12:29 AM
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine mcgaffme Academics 4 07-06-2010 10:21 AM

why do you want to be a doctor?

Old 11-04-2010 at 02:34 PM   #46
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
That's definitely not a generalization you're in a position to make. You don't know most people on here personally. You can't judge based on .. posts?! With no face-to-face contact whatsoever.
On the contrary, I think anonymity is the only way to truly get to know someone's secrets, because they aren't afraid of telling it when they won't be judged for what they say.

Unless you believe you can actually 'know' someone and their secrets just by seeing them face to face.
Old 11-04-2010 at 02:48 PM   #47
thompson

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Well isn't that great. Aren't you all lovely and perfect people. Besides crazyfree, I bet the majority of people here who are trying to convince themselves they don't care about money would go nuts on shopping sprees if they won the lottery.
Quote from 'The Aviator'

Mother: Oh, that's alright, we don't care about money in this household.
Howard: You don't care because you've always had it.
Old 11-04-2010 at 04:28 PM   #48
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson View Post
Quote from 'The Aviator'

Mother: Oh, that's alright, we don't care about money in this household.
Howard: You don't care because you've always had it.
Winning the lottery and having money are not the same thing. Think about that for a minute.
Old 11-04-2010 at 04:29 PM   #49
NowHere

Quote:
On the contrary, I think anonymity is the only way to truly get to know someone's secrets, because they aren't afraid of telling it when they won't be judged for what they say.

Unless you believe you can actually 'know' someone and their secrets just by seeing them face to face.
Nonsense. Intimacy = into-me-see.
Old 11-04-2010 at 06:20 PM   #50
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Every brown one does.

SCHWING! (untrue)

In reality it is based on a mix of arrogance, and being under the illusion that it's glorious "once you get past the hard part". Guess what kids, the fun never ends in practice. Ever. Enjoy going to seminars and sleeping in hotel rooms that smell of vomit just to stay up to date.

In my experience its like 50% white kids, 35% brown kids, 10% asians and 5% everyone else.
True to some extent, but this post is very exaggerated. Medicine is definitely not a walk in the park, but doctors do have time for a life.
Old 11-04-2010 at 06:30 PM   #51
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

My aunt is a surgeon and a gynecologist. She works for 6 hospitals, and only 2 of them pay her. The rest is volunteer work out of the goodness of her heart. She does not sleep much, has bags under her eyes, and gets dizzy because she suffered a spine injury a few years ago and sometimes has to wear a neckbrace to keep her stabalized.

I was speaking to her when I was in Karachi for the summer, and she said "People know me by name. Patients ask for me specifically. I'm always tired and on the run, but I don't care because I know I'm here in this world for all those people. Not me, but them"

And that, is what I hope everyone who wants to become a doctor feels like. Passion, no matter what profession it may be, is everything. With passion comes satisfaction, and the rest unfolds itself.

Commander, SilentWalker all say thanks to AelyaS for this post.

Old 11-04-2010 at 06:38 PM   #52
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
True to some extent, but this post is very exaggerated. Medicine is definitely not a walk in the park, but doctors do have time for a life.
Very true. My uncle is an anesthesiologist, and has the option to work more to earn at least double in the US. He chose to live closer to his family, and have a far more relaxed work schedule rather than earn more. Not everything has to be about money. And a life, while harder to manage, is still definitely achievable.
Old 11-04-2010 at 07:05 PM   #53
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
Winning the lottery and having money are not the same thing. Think about that for a minute.
Why do all of your posts have the phrase "think about that for a minute" attached to them? There's no deeper profound meaning understood after minutes of contemplation.
Old 11-04-2010 at 07:10 PM   #54
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

To the OP: You need to spend more time self-reflecting. There is no perfect answer, but the best answer that you can give is honest and should show knowledge of the profession.

Quote:
My uncle is an anesthesiologist, and has the option to work more to earn at least double in the US. He chose to live closer to his family, and have a far more relaxed work schedule rather than earn more.

lol, Anaesthesiologists make a lot for the number of hours they work. Ever heard of ROAD? Once you get in there are certain specializations that have more relaxed 9 -->5, flexible work hours and every speciality pays well.

Quote:
You can't say "Im a doctor" and have people think your an underachiever.

We have phrases like "6-0 and go" and "P=MD".

Old 11-04-2010 at 07:23 PM   #55
NowHere

Quote:
Why do all of your posts have the phrase "think about that for a minute" attached to them? There's no deeper profound meaning understood after minutes of contemplation.
Perhaps you don't fully understand.
Old 11-04-2010 at 09:38 PM   #56
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

To everyone who says money gives happiness :

Would you kill an innocent person for all the money in the world ? Assuming you could get away with it (no Karma) and not feel bad about it ?
Old 11-04-2010 at 09:47 PM   #57
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Perhaps you don't fully understand.
Yeah, maybe.

Or I don't want to waste my time trying to reveal a hidden meaning in your 6 simple words. You're not a poet, no one needs to stand there with their thumb up their ass for 5 minutes contemplating the deeper meaning behind your posts to understand them because you're oh so profound.
Old 11-04-2010 at 09:50 PM   #58
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Cheetos. Think about that for a minute.

Alchemist11, Mahratta like this.
Old 11-04-2010 at 09:54 PM   #59
NowHere

Quote:
Yeah, maybe.

Or I don't want to waste my time trying to reveal a hidden meaning in your 6 simple words. You're not a poet, no one needs to stand there with their thumb up their ass for 5 minutes contemplating the deeper meaning behind your posts to understand them because you're oh so profound.
You, sir, are a modern day jackass.
Old 11-04-2010 at 10:30 PM   #60
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
You, sir, are a modern day jackass.
Agreed, but that's irrelevant.