MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Did the police officer make the correct decision to pull the doctor over?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 3 27.27%
Not opinionated 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volunteer as a mock patient with EFRT! chugaucon Volunteering Opportunities 0 10-14-2010 04:18 PM
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine mcgaffme Academics 4 07-06-2010 10:21 AM
Save money on textbooks: save for later lorend Academics 3 01-30-2010 03:43 PM
SOLAR does it save automatically? caludujf First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-03-2009 05:10 PM
Resolution: Save The Environment! lorend Misc 0 01-10-2008 01:40 AM

Doctor Pulled Over Trying to Save Patient

Old 08-22-2010 at 12:03 AM   #1
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Doctor Pulled Over Trying to Save Patient
Although this article is a bit old, I think it nevertheless warrants some discussion.

Toronto police have no regrets about ticketing MD speeding to heart surgery

Toronto police say they did the right thing in pulling over a surgeon who was speeding on his way to perform emergency surgery on Saturday.

Dr. Michael Kutryk was pulled over near Bayview and Moore avenues by police, who clocked him at 75 km/h in a 40 km/h zone.

Although he was on his way to perform surgery on a heart attack patient, Dr. Kutryk was still issued a $300 speeding ticket.

“This is an issue of public safety,” Mark Pugash, spokesperson for Toronto Police, said today. “If in the middle of winter you have someone driving at twice the speed limit, they present a risk to themselves and others.”

Mr. Pugash noted there are hundreds of doctors on call at any time in the city of Toronto who manage to be on call while obeying the speed limits. He said he has spoken to a number of doctors, who all believe that issuing Dr. Kutryk a ticket was the right thing.

According to Mr. Pugash, the officer involved believed there was a significant risk to public safety, otherwise he would not have pulled over the cardiologist.

“Nobody else would understand why he was speeding,” Mr. Pugash said, in reference to other cars on the road. “Emergency vehicles have lights.”

Dr. Kutryk was delayed but arrived at the hospital in time to perform an angioplasty on 47-year-old Jeffrey Halstrom, who is currently in recovery.

Dr. Kutryk has chosen not to discuss the incident, but a statement from St. Michael’s Hospital said he regrets speeding to the hospital, and mentioning his ticket to the patient’s family, and that he will “continue to do what he does best – caring for patients.”
Old 08-22-2010 at 12:08 AM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Gonna have to side with the police officers on this one. He could have gotten in or caused a big accident.

Maybe super special surgeons should be given a siren and rotating lights to attach to their cars in emergencies :p.
Old 08-22-2010 at 12:08 AM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I agree. If he was doing maybe 60 or 55 for emergency surgery, I might say differently, but going twice as fast is another story. Reckless - if he hit someone, both of them, maybe more, would be in trouble.

I can't find it in the article, but
isn't angioplasty a scheduled thing, as in not usually an emergency surgery? It's not like fat deposits appear overnight. I might be wrong though.
Old 08-22-2010 at 12:29 AM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I agree. If he was doing maybe 60 or 55 for emergency surgery, I might say differently, but going twice as fast is another story. Reckless - if he hit someone, both of them, maybe more, would be in trouble.

I can't find it in the article, but
isn't angioplasty a scheduled thing, as in not usually an emergency surgery? It's not like fat deposits appear overnight. I might be wrong though.
If they had an extremely high percentage of blockage they may have required immediate surgery.