MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roommate discussion nikki12 Mary Keyes Forum 1 07-19-2010 08:19 PM
Guitar Discussion VastHorizon General Discussion 51 10-02-2009 06:10 PM
MacPass 2008 Discussion tee33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 83 06-25-2009 12:00 AM
SOLAR discussion Chad Academics 41 07-31-2008 10:01 PM
New Course Discussion Forum Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-12-2007 05:46 PM

Why I don't plan on using the MSU website for discussion.

Old 08-01-2009 at 04:06 PM   #1
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Why I don't plan on using the MSU website for discussion.
The argument of "use the msu website because the bod will read it there" is dumb. I am well aware of why it is being made, and have had discussions about the site itself with the MSU people in charge of the website.

Here are my thoughts:

1) If the BOD is ignoring this site, but reading the MSU site, they are seriously strange. The effort required is about the same for both. This is essentially coming off as if they want to have this discussion on a turf where they hold the ability to delete a post.

2) MacInsiders is established, useable, and well designed. The MSU website is not.

3) These forums are more powerful. There is no utility present with posting on that. Best case scenario is that I'll have to post the same thing on both sites, and that's too much effort.

I know the SRA is being pushed to use the site because that is the official stance of the MSU, but I really think that they should evaluate the information I presented and push to integrate MacInsiders into the site, as Chad has made attempts to do.

Old 08-01-2009 at 05:12 PM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

That covers pretty much most of the arguments I made against the dismissal of Insiders(Using the whole absurd, Insiders is no longer an MSU club loophole) I made both over here and with the MSU PR-ish officer Michael Wooder earlier this week. Another argument is that no matter what the MSU says about using their website, the fact of the matter is that Chad/Danielle or someone from the Sil will find out stuff posted on the MSU website, copy paste it over here and then everyone will start discussing it and the SRA members will step in with their own(usually counterproductive like "email us") efforts and things will get even messier. The sooner the MSU realizes that Insiders is a forum that will continue to grow and try and harness it the better it will be for them!

Here's my solution which I have also indirectly sent to in detail to the houseleader an hour ago:

#1 The MSU makes larger and much more detailed posts on the mainpage and the SRA Blog, Stuff that covers more angles gives more details and is generally much better then the minute, cliche'd and need to know stuff that is posted right now.

#2 As expected, The Insider Admins/Agents or someone from the Sil posts this up on Insiders. But the difference being that hypothetically, since the original post on the website is much more detailed it leaves out less room for random people to fill in the blanks and make assumptions and for SRA members to try clearing up stuff with their imperfect information(i.e: They are not always likely to know exactly what the BOD did) and most of all their ego/anti clique/whatever pisses them off rants that tarnish the image of the MSU even if they do later retract them. Also spend some money to get in a PR person from some political party to train the SRA members, as Ben honestly to his credit admitted yesterday, he like alot of people love arguing. Yet an elected official cannot partake in such a manner(last man standing arguments) since in a way they are representing the organization. I have no idea why someone wasn't brought in at Bark lake :S

I did get a consolation prize of a promise of some form of "Communications Policy" regarding online interactions, I'm not sure where I go from there though yet. Chances are I make a policy and the BOD/SRA level people dismiss it citing the same Insiders isn't a MSU club rationale :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the email exchange after Casey Park to his credit(thanks! ) messaged me regarding his plans for improving the SRA Blog: Posts made before, after and one explaining its implications for MSU students and asked for any suggestions!

[/quote]

Hey Casey,

Thanks for the update. First of all I believe I might have indirectly mentioned it on Insiders, but I think with the SRA blog the MSU has improved from the last SRA. My problem with the communications aspect is one thing: Details.

The information posted "officially" regarding a serious issue, example Speaker's resignation was only warranted tiny posts from Vishal and You that in all honesty gave the vibes of being Cliche'd and Need to know. For example the you quoted "we were under unsurmountable circumstances" but there is no indication at all of what those circumstances were. I don't reckon teh average student will take that in a postive way, more likely the chances are that he will make his own cynical assumptions regarding that line to fill in the blanks. There should have been more details that were instead filled up by random SRA Members(Fadil, Matthew etc) on the MacInsiders Thread that were often contradicting each other or had "imperfect information"(In other words they didn't know what you or BOD were most likely to know), things got worse and it ended up with an SRA member saying "get a life" and general confusion and theories as to WHAT really happened. There was no way for the average reader to figure out the MSU's side of the story(which was needed since Norman wrote an allegation like "poisoning the workforce". Similarly I asked around for dates of the various aspects of the event and got no reply from anyone, even Norman doesn't know what the exact date was since hte BOD never told him; he reckoned it was sometime in May. If the circumstances were against the BOD(time constraints) there needs to be a detailed 2000 word explanation as to what happened. The same with the 1280 logo issue, once again it was criticized as not revealing enough information(who was the designer, how long did he take to make it, why does it "suck", how can people like Rohan/Chad come up with better stuff in a few hours, why was the EB put in a tight corner and only given under a day to make that descision and so on).

The above mentioned concerns were exactly what I talked to Michael Wooder earlier this week about, I proposed the creation of a Communications officer who goes around talking to various people in MSU collecting information like a reporter, writing a detailed 1000+ word article which any half decent writer would have no trouble doing so in 15-20 minutes. Because like it or not, whatever your post on the MSU website will be transferred over to Insiders and there will be assumptions made and criticism if there is imperfect information or people suspect that you guys are hiding something. A larger post will have lesser chances of getting holes poked at it because it will cover more angles then the current format. Accoring to Michael Wooder Insiders isn't an official source but because the Insiders admin copy paste stuff from the Website to Insiders, it becomes a focal point and with rising membership will continue to do so.

I did however after an hour of arguments get a promise of the need for a commuications policy for the MSU regarding Online Places, since as you can clearly see some SRA members are lashing out in Unprofessional and for the lack of a better word Politics N00b fashion!

I heard there will be a former Sil writer joining you as some variety of communications officer, I would hope that you work closer with him/her to cover more ground with the posts. I understand the board don't have the time or writing skills to write stuff that is not only detailed but also more importantly cleverly "Politically Correct". I think you would agree that it is better if a cultured official authority like you or the communicaitons person puts up more details on the website rather then SRA people running amok all over the place.

Thanks for reading.

Huzaifa

p.s: I know the MSU will highly disapprove but if it is possible can you put up the more important motions on Insiders as well? You can ask Chad to create a special subforum for you or to modify the SRA connection so that you have one thread for every fortnightly weekly SRA meeting!
The reason I ask that is posted on the 1280 thread!

[/quote]

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-01-2009 at 05:17 PM   #3
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Well, I don't disagree with Wooder. His main points against MacInsiders come because people post news on MI and not the MSU site, or do not link back to the MSU site. He's completely right on that.

The MSU site should be the place where you find the latest news etc. From our discussions he seemed to be quite alright with thread on MacInsiders being made about things that were reported on the MSU site.

We have also seen the problems of MacInsiders "scooping" the MSU. There has been instances of things posted incorrectly by the MacInsiders staff that were taken as official by students.

But as far as discussion goes, the MSU site is no alternate to MacInsiders.
Old 08-01-2009 at 05:41 PM   #4
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Well, I don't disagree with Wooder. His main points against MacInsiders come because people post news on MI and not the MSU site, or do not link back to the MSU site. He's completely right on that.

The MSU site should be the place where you find the latest news etc. From our discussions he seemed to be quite alright with thread on MacInsiders being made about things that were reported on the MSU site.

We have also seen the problems of MacInsiders "scooping" the MSU. There has been instances of things posted incorrectly by the MacInsiders staff that were taken as official by students.

But as far as discussion goes, the MSU site is no alternate to MacInsiders.
Yeah that's pretty much what he said to me as well. But I agree 100% that Official Articles/Blogposts from the MSU should be put up on the website only and not here first. But eventually it WILL end up on Insiders and as long as the admins make an effort to link where the post came from its pretty legit. But I really don't think MSU forums will ever be as popular as this place. Insiders is much more advanced and has been fine tuned after years of efforts to its current format. Plus it has three admins and 20+ Insider agents prowling for any posts that go against the TOS.

Whereas Pauline(Network Admin) can only monitor the MSU forums while she is at work, if anyone types up obscenities on the weekend or after 5pm they will pretty much stay there. Plus people here have a forum signature, username, profile and so on as compared to a nickname on the MSU website that can be exploited by anyone. Heck someone could make an account for the BOD and promote false information, there are no checks at all!. MSU forum is WAYY to old and cookie cutter to work in the long run

Old 08-01-2009 at 10:50 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Something people may find interesting:

I have extended a hand to Chad to discuss the possibility of cooperation between the MSU/SRA and MacInsiders in response to his invitation to discussion on the topic.

We haven't spoken on the matter yet, other than introductions, but I just wanted to let people know that I'm going to try and do something about this.

I know there's people (both in MSU admin and SRA) who are both for and against cooperation/consolidation of MSU/MacInsiders, but I'm just looking at baby steps here. The SRA ultimately has the final say in the matter so no door is completely closed.

Last edited by Taunton : 08-01-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2009 at 11:00 PM   #6
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Something people may find interesting:

I have extended a hand to Chad to discuss the possibility of cooperation between the MSU/SRA and MacInsiders in response to his invitation to discussion on the topic.

We haven't spoken on the matter yet, other than introductions, but I just wanted to let people know that I'm going to try and do something about this.

I know there's people (both in MSU admin and SRA) who are both for and against cooperation/consolidation of MSU/MacInsiders, but I'm just looking at baby steps here. The SRA ultimately has the final say in the matter so no door is completely closed.
Thanks! You have come a long way from how you started out a couple of days ago declaring your stance against discussion on Insiders a "moot point" and that you will argue agaisnt it on every occasion! That is what counts more then the nonsense that went on in the middle

Hopefully, with much more open and civil treatment of any criticism and emphatic and honest answers to it from everyone(that includes the BOD) we could start a journey towards the utopic view of Insiders as a hub of constructive discussion that a few people here imagine!

But we musn't stray from the notion that for now atleast MSU forums will never be a succesful venue! It is far too clumsy and prehistoric and as Jesus mentioned you cannot expect over a thousand users to migrate in that direction, keep it(MSU Website) simply aimed towards articles/blog posts and let a discussion forum(MI) do its specialized best.

Old 08-01-2009 at 11:06 PM   #7
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I just don't think it makes sense to try and start something up (the MSU forum) when there's already something here. It doesn't matter if there's 10 people on this site or 1 million people. MacInsiders undeniably has a usership already, and so it just makes sense to cooperate rather than start something from scratch.

I also don't really care what the "official MSU stance is" in this case. My job is to represent my constituents and their best interests. It's in my constituents best interests to seek some sort of cooperation here.

I also agree that news should always appear on the MSU site first. Then, it can be linked here, or w/e. Proper journalistic referencing practice should be maintained.

huzaifa47 likes this.