MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How hard? keiser=) Academics 7 01-02-2013 10:18 AM
would it be hard? paula112 Academics 6 06-30-2011 09:17 PM
Will this be too hard ? faulkner16 Academics 10 06-14-2011 02:27 PM
Hard Minors? tyrant Academics 10 05-31-2011 11:43 AM
Is it hard to get a 7/12 GPA ? imdreamer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 02-15-2011 06:57 AM

Why is GIS hard?

Old 12-28-2013 at 09:27 AM   #1
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Why is GIS hard?
So why is second year intro to GIS considered hard? I've had numerous people tell me that it involves long hours in labs followed by a very hard exam which takes down the marks?!?

How hard would you say this course is?

How do you study for this course?

Is it necessary to buy the textbook for this course?

How does one do well (ie: get 11 or 12) in this course?
Old 12-28-2013 at 12:01 PM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

1. On the scale of 1 to 10, it would be a 6. This course is hard but not very hard to get good grades on.

2. Honestly, I have no idea how to study for this course. I took the course not knowing how to do it. My suggestion would be gradually study the course materials throughout the term, like as soon as you get out of class you review the stuff you learn 24 hours after. That way it will still be fresh in your mind by the time midterm and final rolls around.

3. The textbook is used for references meaning it explains a bit more about the things taught in class. It does have a CD in it where it has data to practice using ArcGIS with it.

4. In order to do well, you really have to study well for the midterm and final and pretty much do well on the labs. For the labs, you are allowed to get help from fellow students and TA, so doing well on the labs won't be a problem.

escape says thanks to akikokoyoki for this post.

escape likes this.
Old 12-28-2013 at 01:23 PM   #3
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by akikokoyoki View Post
1. On the scale of 1 to 10, it would be a 6. This course is hard but not very hard to get good grades on.

2. Honestly, I have no idea how to study for this course. I took the course not knowing how to do it. My suggestion would be gradually study the course materials throughout the term, like as soon as you get out of class you review the stuff you learn 24 hours after. That way it will still be fresh in your mind by the time midterm and final rolls around.

3. The textbook is used for references meaning it explains a bit more about the things taught in class. It does have a CD in it where it has data to practice using ArcGIS with it.

4. In order to do well, you really have to study well for the midterm and final and pretty much do well on the labs. For the labs, you are allowed to get help from fellow students and TA, so doing well on the labs won't be a problem.
Did you buy the textbook for this course, was it useful? 3rd year gis is no longer offered during summers or so i heard?

Thanks for responding back
Old 12-28-2013 at 03:10 PM   #4
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Did you buy the textbook for this course, was it useful? 3rd year gis is no longer offered during summers or so i heard?

Thanks for responding back
I bought the textbook. I kept it until I took 3GI3 (Advanced Raster GIS). It's also used for Advanced Vector GIS (3GV3), which I'm might be planning on taking. I don't think 3rd year GIS was offered in summer school to begin with, only the 2nd year one. It was somewhat useful. I only read the textbook if I needed help doing the lab or clarify some course materials explained in class.