MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
language courses MacStudent1 Academics 5 08-04-2010 09:48 PM
Language course requirements? Flag Academics 1 11-22-2009 02:00 PM
Society for Language Sciences feonateresa MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-06-2009 07:59 PM
Language courses Goce Academics 31 07-13-2009 06:24 AM
Mohawk language course. What is it like? raine Academics 8 11-28-2008 06:27 PM

Why it is important to learn English language?

Old 11-11-2009 at 02:04 PM   #91
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
Not gonna lie, I had a huge laugh as I went through this discussion. All y'all need to calm down!

That being said, I agree that English is a very important language, especially if you intend to conduct business. I do not expect everyone in a European country I am visiting to speak English, but from my experience it is generally fair to assume that at any major service provider (hotels, restaurants, museums, etc.) there will be at least a few staff who are capable of corresponding in English.

As for English's weaknesses, I'm surprised nobody touched on the most glaring weakness (unless someone did, and I missed it). When English is compared to many other languages, its most fatal flaw is the lack of rules for conjugation. Remember in French when you learned how to conjugate 'er' verbs, and 'ir' verbs, and all that other stuff I've forgotten? And then remember how frustrated you probably got because there were 20 ish 'irregular' verbs which didn't follow those rules? Well in English, almost every verb is irregular. There are very few rules which can be universally applied to English words to determine the proper conjugation given the tense and the subject. That is one of the reasons why people find it very difficult to learn English as a second language. I count myself as very lucky that I learned English first.

That's my two cents... I hope I was neutral enough that no one will tear me apart, but I suppose only time and a good bit of luck will tell with this forum!
About the conjugating thing... I find it much easier to write in english than in french. It's probably because (again), all I did as a kid was read books in English. I practised it more in French, but I've seen it a lot more in English.

One of my friends is sending me the rosetta stone and I'ma be learning German... It's gonna be interesting actually learning a new english and seeing if I fail miserably... I have no idea if I struggled as a kid when I was trying to learn english. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-11-2009 at 03:53 PM   #92
plums

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Not trying to dwell on trivial matters, but the British only administered "India" proper for a bit under 200 years.
Actually, the british arrived in india in 1608. In 1947, india declared herself an independent nation. 1947-1608 = 339 years.

Why is India in quotations???

rrtt likes this.
Old 11-11-2009 at 07:23 PM   #93
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by plums View Post
Its because when India was ruled by the British it included India, Pakistan and Bangladesh as one larger colony.
Old 11-12-2009 at 12:43 AM   #94
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Its because when India was ruled by the British it included India, Pakistan and Bangladesh as one larger colony.
Also Ceylon and Burma. (that's Sri Lanka and Myanmar for those modern boys out there)

Indeed, while not to make any excuses for the Raj, the English essentially laid the foundations for modern India. Their current system of democracy is modeled after the British, and many of the brightest leaders were educated in Britain or in British schools in India. The Raj also built the railways and much of the industry that has played a role in India's success. In addition the Raj was really the first time for a while India had an effective central government, which is probably one of the reasons why most of India remained in one piece post-colonization.

Sorry for the off topic rant.

Back on topic, English is a widely spoken language among "educated" people in India.

It also benefits from many primarily English speaking countries around the world, and from a usage similar to India (as a national lingua franca) in many others such as South Africa and many other former colonies.

As noted elsewhere it has the benefit of being the international language of shipping and aviation.

As per Mandarin, it is a language much tougher than even English to learn, and while it has impressive numbers of speakers, most are concentrated in China (and even there it is often a second language). The Chinese business community generally recognizes that they deal mostly with English speaking countries or countries where English is a frequently taught foreign language and learn English themselves rather than try and get others to learn Mandarin.

English also benefits from being one of the five languages of international diplomacy, along with russian, french, spanish and mandarin. It is also one of the working languages of the EU institutions.

Lastly, it is the language into which almost anything is translated, and for which there is a Learn Language X course in. (Although French does well in the second category).
In other words, learning Mandarin gets you access to Mandarin books, but learning English gives you access to a great pool of English works as well as translations from many other languages.

Correction to the above post:

Ceylon (Sri Lanka) was apparently not part of the Raj. For some reason I thought it had been at some point. Apologies.

Last edited by arathbon : 11-12-2009 at 12:47 AM.

gmon likes this.
Old 11-12-2009 at 12:46 AM   #95
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plums View Post
Actually, the british arrived in india in 1608. In 1947, india declared herself an independent nation. 1947-1608 = 339 years.

Well depends if you're talking about company rule or the Raj.
Old 11-12-2009 at 09:37 AM   #96
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
It also benefits from many primarily English speaking countries around the world, and from a usage similar to India (as a national lingua franca) in many others such as South Africa and many other former colonies.
I think the lingua franca of South Africa (and some parts of Namibia) is still Afrikaans.
Old 11-12-2009 at 09:38 AM   #97
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
One of my friends is sending me the rosetta stone and I'ma be learning German...
Unfortunately the Rosetta Stone kind of fails miserably at teaching any grammar whatsoever :p.
Old 11-12-2009 at 09:49 AM   #98
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Unfortunately the Rosetta Stone kind of fails miserably at teaching any grammar whatsoever :p.
People have told me it's one of the best programs o_o

Even if it is terrible, it still beats paying for lessons on my budget.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-12-2009 at 11:22 AM   #99
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I think the lingua franca of South Africa (and some parts of Namibia) is still Afrikaans.
Afrikaans is more widely spoken but if you ever go to a South African newpaper's website they tend to be in english.

I usually don't quote wiki but

Quote:
English is only the sixth-most common home language in the country, but is understood in most urban areas and is (mainly for political reasons) the dominant language in government and the media.
Old 11-14-2009 at 10:49 PM   #100
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

... It's kinda obvious.. Like you said, it's a universal language....
Old 11-15-2009 at 01:34 AM   #101
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
People have told me it's one of the best programs o_o

Even if it is terrible, it still beats paying for lessons on my budget.
My friend is using it to learn spanish, and its comparable, though nowhere near as thorough, as the Spanish I learn in class at Mac. But it covers the same subject matter, just less explanation.

lawleypop says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 11-15-2009 at 04:38 PM   #102
misterp

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie012 View Post
... It's kinda obvious.. Like you said, it's a universal language....
wth.....have u even read the posts???????????????? ?
ITS NOT UNIVERSAL
Old 11-15-2009 at 08:37 PM   #103
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

It should be illegal to reopen old threads.

Seriously, when I saw "new post" in this thread, I thought "Wait, is it October again?".