MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which residences has the "Women & Leadership" and "All-Female Community" themes? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-21-2012 11:15 PM
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM
"What do you wanna eat?", "I dunno" Twelve Chars General Discussion 33 05-06-2011 06:22 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

Wii U , PS4 and Xbox "One" ?

Old 05-21-2013 at 12:37 PM   #1
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

Wii U , PS4 and Xbox "One" ?
So the next batch of gaming consoles are approaching quickly this year. I know most people who game on PC could care less. For those other guys what do you think , are you excited? Oh and Please do not start Flame war with each other over your personal bias for your prefer console/company.

**Computer Engineering**
Old 05-21-2013 at 12:56 PM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Everything coming out this year and most of the stuff announced for next year seems to work on both the PS3/360 and the PS4/X1 so I don't really have any reason to buy any of these for a while.

I'll probably be waiting for a price drop before I dive into any of the new consoles.

Last edited by Tailsnake : 05-22-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2013 at 03:54 PM   #3
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

the xbox one and new kinect are so ugly e__e ugh. why.
If the rumours about the price range are true, I'm not dishing out 400-500 dollars for this.
Apparently, microsoft will charge a fee if you try to use a used game, since you have to install all games to the hdd to play them and they get tied to your account.
the non-backwards compatibility makes me sad.

I don't really want to jump ship, so looks like I'll be staying with the 360 for now.
Old 05-21-2013 at 04:33 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

-Wii What? Its a fail in almost every way on Nintendo part. A reflavour of an old gen.
-PS3: not enough details yet although I like the push back towards the x86_64 architecture.
-360: looks pretty good. I like the "Home" aspect to it (as opposed to gaming). Highly doubtful that one of the most distinguishing features (TV) will make it into Canada however. Bell+Rogers make way to much money off boxes to allow such a feature.

I find it interesting that X-Box went the home entertainment ("In your Living Room") route whereas Sony backtracked off that route and instead went for Hardcore gamers going as far as saying that the target audience was pretty much only gamers. This is radically different from the PS3 which was more and more focused on the "Living Room Entertainment" model as the XBox 360 dominated the "Hardcore Gamer" segment.

I also find it remarkable that both companies did not use an SSD for game caching. Hopefully a low price reflects this (doubtful)

lgdynasty, rpg51 like this.
Old 05-21-2013 at 04:56 PM   #5
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

Prob wait till next year for more games to come out for both systems before I decide. Though with the xbox one, idea of having to pay for using a game on different consoles/accounts is going to make it REALLY ANNOYING if i bring my games over to a buddy's house.

Sony has not revealed any detail as of now whether they would use SSD, the kind of GPU and processor or whether it would be an APU. we know its 8-core and 8GB of GDDR ram.

MS is 8 core, 8 GB of DDR3 no detail on GPU, 500 GB HARD DRIVE(implying non-SSD, not confirmed), built-in kinect(raises price)

at least Call of Duty is getting a new graphics engine XD

**Computer Engineering**
Old 05-21-2013 at 05:01 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

The only games that really interest me (if that) are games for the PC. I'm a PS fan but I haven't really looked into anything regarding the new console... honestly though, there's enough games already out in the world I don't understand the infatuation with constant new games all the time.. Heck, a SNES emulator can keep me occupied enough
Old 05-21-2013 at 05:02 PM   #7
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Everything feels like "the seventh generation of video game consoles, and a half." Has anyone else noticed that there is not a single original logo design for either three of them?

Anyway, since I can only critique the design and features of the consoles as no decent games have been shown yet (that includes the Wii U), it's disappointing that all three boast ugly controllers. Wii U has a touchscreen tablet- and no third parties will design their games for it. Also, the controller's input technology has been popularized for gaming since, when, 2004 and the Nintendo DS? The Xbox One's guide button is too out-of-reach, looks aesthetically unpleasing. PS4's has too much crammed into one package. Touchpad, share button, Move orb light? All I hope is it's not priced higher than average.

Wii U looks like a Wii with a bigger backend and rounded edges. Parents still can't figure out if it's a new console, or some goofy Sega CD parasite bullshit. Xbox One looks like my VCR from 1998. And what's with these backwards names? Isn't the average consumer going to be confused when you tell them that the natural progression goes from "Xbox 360" to "Xbox One"? If there's a name game, PS4 takes it home.

And that's just the nitpicking. Nevermind the continuing splash on ads on the Xbox One dashboard, Kinect 2 being plugged in to run, the injustices of the Xbox Live Gold service continuing (still gotta pony up that money just to use Netflix). I'm looking forward to the surge of games and surprises at E3, but so far, I see no reason not to invest in a futureproof gaming PC next year.

lgdynasty, Snowman like this.
Old 05-22-2013 at 04:53 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Anyone ordering/ordered an Ouya?

I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I'm giving it a go, despite criticism... its basically an indie android gaming platform. I mostly want it to replace my n64, snes, emulators, etc because they take up too much room in the living room
Old 05-22-2013 at 06:01 PM   #9
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Will any of them support 4k?
Old 05-22-2013 at 10:28 PM   #10
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
I know most people who game on PC could care less.
seriously? jesus christ.

Grover likes this.
Old 05-23-2013 at 12:43 AM   #11
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Somehow, I just can't get behind a console that can only play cell phone games and brags about its flagship title being a 7 year old remake of 23 year old game.
Old 05-23-2013 at 09:11 AM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I'm giving it a go, despite criticism... its basically an indie android gaming platform. I mostly want it to replace my n64, snes, emulators, etc because they take up too much room in the living room
I have no idea what the appeal of this thing is. It's an Android device with no screen and a controller...
Old 05-23-2013 at 05:16 PM   #13
hungdaddy

Liked: 22 Times

consols are for kids. be a complete genius and only play starcraft2 on pc

Chad likes this.
Old 05-23-2013 at 09:09 PM   #14
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I'll stick to my PS3 for now. None of the XBox One games announced made me want to fork over more money for a whole new console. Plus I don't like the idea of having games locked into 1 account.. so I can't resell them and make money back.
Old 05-23-2013 at 09:10 PM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungdaddy View Post
consols are for kids. be a complete genius and only play starcraft2 on pc
Starcraft II ... man, that brings back many amazing memories of staying up super late to finish a battle haha

anonanon987 likes this.