MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
KTH On Fire? nogood205 General Discussion 46 11-20-2009 08:50 PM
Brandon Fire lorend Brandon Hall Fire Relief 86 10-29-2008 07:41 AM
Meeting Regarding Brandon Hall Fire kokosas Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 4 10-20-2008 11:10 PM
Jhe Fire??? neb21 General Discussion 6 03-27-2008 09:35 AM

Win a Wi-Fire - ECE PlayGround Exclusive!

ECE PlayGround has just announced that they have an exclusive contest opened to McMaster students! This product beat the staff’s expectations and if you take a look at the review, you can see just how powerful and useful this simple device can be.

They contacted hField Technologies and worked out a deal to have a contest and give out a free Wi-Fire (review here) with no strings attached and shipped directly to your doorstep! Valued at $49.00 USD, we are very excited to present this contest to our readers.

To enter this contest, you must be a McMaster student. Go to this link and follow the instructions for entry: CLICK HERE TO ENTER

The contest ends August 13th, 2010 at 12:00PM Eastern (EST). All entries will be treated equally. Only one (1) entry per student is allowed. For questions or concerns, e-mail ECE PlayGround staff here.

A big thank you goes out to the developers of Wi-Fire for working with ECE PlayGround in making this contest possible. Good luck to all applicants. Winners will be announced on the weekend after August 13th, 2010 and contacted through their McMaster e-mail address for shipping information.

In the upcoming weeks, expect more giveaway contests exclusively to McMaster University students! This is our way to show appreciation for reading our articles! We would like to thank MacInsiders to advertising the contest to give you a chance to win!

All trademarks are copyrights of the respective owner. All rights reserved. © 2010 ECE PlayGround.

Marlowe, tatski-p, TheMist like this.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-04-2010 at 01:42 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times
Don't miss out on your chance guys, this product is simply amazing, and shipping to your door is free as well! You have nothing to lose

Old 08-04-2010 at 02:40 PM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
I don't understand how this thing is supposed to work. Wouldn't you need one on both your router and your laptop to be able to use the extra range?

Old 08-04-2010 at 02:53 PM   #4
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't understand how this thing is supposed to work. Wouldn't you need one on both your router and your laptop to be able to use the extra range?
It's basically a highly sensitive Wi-Fi receiver, it attaches to your laptop / PC. There are signal boosters that attach to your router but this isn't one of them.

Old 08-04-2010 at 02:57 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
Okay, so your laptop can transmit back to the router well enough that the router can see it from far away... but how is the laptop supposed to pick up the router's weak signal from there?

Old 08-04-2010 at 03:01 PM   #6
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Okay, so your laptop can transmit back to the router well enough that the router can see it from far away... but how is the laptop supposed to pick up the router's weak signal from there?
Same as any antenna, I suppose. It's just more sensitive to weak signals than the smaller receiver that's built into your laptop.

Edit: Added picture, to show that it really is a big honkin' antenna.

Old 08-04-2010 at 03:45 PM   #7
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times
lmao that looks ridiculous! I was thinking of something like a USB stick at the side of your laptop haha. Was I ever wrong...

Old 08-04-2010 at 05:03 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
lmao that looks ridiculous! I was thinking of something like a USB stick at the side of your laptop haha. Was I ever wrong...
Actually, the new redesigned Wi-Fire is much smaller than that model.

Also, it works much better than any wi-fi adapter ive used.. and it can be used in conjunction with your current laptop wireless card

Old 08-05-2010 at 11:10 AM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

If you are still confused on how the product works, check eceplayground for a review

Old 08-05-2010 at 12:45 PM   #10
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times
OHH YEAH I ENTERED
I don't know why I put the bunny there

Old 08-07-2010 at 06:25 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0fSpades View Post
OHH YEAH I ENTERED
I don't know why I put the bunny there
haha good luck

Old 08-09-2010 at 10:34 AM   #12
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times
I wonder if i can also enter

Old 08-10-2010 at 12:04 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
I wonder if i can also enter
Lawl.

Old 08-11-2010 at 07:14 AM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

Ends in 2 days, good luck McMaster! (Note, first year students entering McMaster in September 2010 can enter as well! Just provide your MacID when leaving a comment in the entry!)

Old 08-12-2010 at 02:10 PM   #15
blackdragon
Elite Member

Ends tomorrow, Good Luck McMaster!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search