MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Introducing MacInsiders Mobile Chad MacInsiders Announcements 15 08-25-2010 08:06 AM
Wind aa84 Computers & Tech 1 08-23-2010 11:40 PM
Wind Mobile update?? escape Computers & Tech 13 03-21-2010 10:33 PM
Wind Mobile Shows Photos Of Store Chad MacInsiders Announcements 61 12-17-2009 04:14 PM
Wifi on windows Mobile smartphone garyyc General Discussion 4 10-23-2009 01:09 PM

Wind mobile?

Old 08-01-2010 at 08:36 PM   #16
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeEngineer View Post
I'm gunna have to pick a cell plan sometime this month and well was wondering about wind. Which phone has best reception and if the network is good ? I was going to go with Koodo but they no longer offer the plan i was about to get. My parents want me to go public mobile lol and i keep telling them wind is better especially in hamilton since public mobile is only just getting a network in hamilton so dunno any thoughts I'm willing to spend between 35 - 45 $ per month. Interested in hearing personal experiences with wind. Also has it been getting better over time ?
Go with TELUS Student 40 plan: http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/07/30/te...-student-plan/

- Up to 100 Local Anytime minutes
- Up to 100 Bonus Local Anytime minutes
- Unlimited Nationwide calling
- Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 6:00pm
- 100MBs of Data
- Unlimited outgoing and incoming text, picture and video messaging
- Unlimited Nationwide talk and text messaging with you top 10
- Voice Mail, Call waiting and Conference calling plus the standard free calling on your bday.
- 3 year contract
Old 08-01-2010 at 10:40 PM   #17
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

have fun paying roaming charges with and the late cancellation fees because you dropped out of school and moved to guam. NGL that seems like a pretty awful plan for 40 bucks AND a 3 year contract. Might as well get always talk + unlimited text from wind for 40 bucks and that won't include bogus fees that telus charge. O ya and if you port your number you'll basically get 5 months free because of the free 1st month plus 150 credit. If you can live with manually selecting a network while wind gets it s*** sorted out in Hamilton and you stay out of basements when you want to talk to someone wind is the way to go

temptingf8, zombiejesus like this.
Old 08-01-2010 at 11:21 PM   #18
LukeEngineer

Liked: 5 Times

The Telus student 40 is a good plan, I just don't really need data, I'll still consider it, can you change the fave 10 at any time ? for free ?. I'm leaning towards wind, just
Quote:
If you can live with manually selecting a network
so whenever I'm sure I'm in a wind home zone and it shows wind away i can manually change it and it will work ? and is it easy ?
Old 08-02-2010 at 10:59 AM   #19
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

well it depends on your phone, but on the nokia 5230 you just go to the menu, settings, connectivity, network, manually select. It then will take like 10 seconds looking for networks and you can choose the one you want. Now that I think of it I can't guarantee you will always find a home zone but when I come out the subway or something and I haven't picked up a network I can manually find it.
Old 08-06-2010 at 05:46 PM   #20
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

Hey yeh according to a blog entry on the Wind Forum you can now manually chose which zone you're in. Sounds alright I think.
Old 08-18-2010 at 11:58 PM   #21
belindz!

Liked: 17 Times

winds reception is garbage. i live in a three storey town house and i only got 0-1 bars on the mid section of my home. basemen i get full servive but upstairs only two bars. if your outside youll be fine. and from where ive been in mac the reception has been perfect (only in terms of receiving texts) the plans are good for long distance which is the only reason why im staying with wind. i hate dropped calls with a passion.
Old 09-01-2010 at 03:39 AM   #22
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

I don't know about constant service around Hamilton, but around Mississauga I realized that as soon as I started moving, or was in a moving vehicle, the quality of the call dropped dramatically compared to when I was standing still ... just an observation.
Old 09-01-2010 at 08:33 AM   #23
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I don't want to talk too highly of Wind just yet, since I have spent most of my time since getting my phone in Away zones. I haven't tried making a call from a moving vehicle yet either (except the GO train, but it seemed to work fine on that).

But one point where I can safely say that Wind is kicking ass is their website. Bell and Rogers' websites are cluttered and ugly, and in general its hard to find the info you need (although admittedly there is probably way more info than on the Wind site). Wind's website is well designed, and super easy to use. Its not worth going with them just because of that, but its a factor to consider.
Old 09-01-2010 at 11:14 AM   #24
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

I'm switching to Wind in the spring when my contract with Telus expires. No matter what people: DONT SWITCH TO CHATR. Rogers has no interest in maintaining their CHATR brand; they only created it to try to crush the new budget carriers. I can guarantee that if they are successful, you'll just end up getting merged onto FIDO when they dissolve CHATR to cut costs.

Also:
Quote: Wind Mobile to inevitably acquire Mobilicity and Public Mobile?

During the wireless spectrum auction a couple years ago Globalive (Wind Mobile parent company) invested $442 million, a portion of these funds were backed by Egyptian-based Orascom Telecom Holding SAE. Today, Orascom chairman Naguib Sawiris was in Toronto and had a few choice quotes.

In an interview with the Globe he stated that the big 3 (Rogers, Bell and TELUS) are “a joke”. Sawiris said “I have been offered by two of them to buy me out at a very significant profit. But that means I’m a broker, not an industrialist. It’s against my saga, against my history. I’m not the kind of guy who goes out for the money. It’s about success. And this, I would consider it as a bribe.”

In addition, probably the one that will get the most feedback is that Sawiris says the other new wireless entrants Mobilicity and Public Mobile will inevitably be acquired by WIND. “They will be dead on arrival. Wind should be the consolidator of all the smaller players here. We are going to be open to that. We are not interested in smaller players that are only coming with cash, or the licenses they paid cash for. We want them to succeed and have some subscribers. Because we can’t do the job alone.”

Last edited by zombiejesus : 09-01-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2010 at 11:22 AM   #25
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
I'm switching to Wind in the spring when my contract with Telus expires. No matter what people: DONT SWITCH TO CHATR. Rogers has no interest in maintaining their CHATR brand; they only created it to try to crush the new budget carriers. I can guarantee that if they are successful, you'll just end up getting merged onto FIDO when they dissolve CHATR to cut costs.
I was going to as well, but when I told that to telus, they offered me a rocking plan!
Old 09-01-2010 at 11:35 AM   #26
zombiejesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I was going to as well, but when I told that to telus, they offered me a rocking plan!
It's a great plan, but I don't need data and don't talk to people outside of the province, so signing up for that would just be WIND's plan in addition to remaining chained to TELUS for 3 more years plus helping to maintain the oligopoly. Also, they'd make me change my number if I wanted to use Hamilton as my local calling area and I want to keep my number.
Old 09-03-2010 at 06:35 PM   #27
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

Just an update to those waiting for a great student deal to come up... Wind has just announced they're offering a Student deal to all new activations by students (must show your student ID). It's an unbeatable deal, I can guarantee you that.

$25 for their Always Shout plan, which will cost every other person $45.
What is the Always Shout plan?
1. Unlimited Canada-Wide calling from any Wind Zone
2. Unlimited Incoming/Outgoing (Canada and the US) texts in any Wind Zone
3. Caller ID, missed call alert, call forward, call conferencing, call waiting, call hold

I believe they start offering it tomorrow!

I've attached the flyer with the details.

PS. This, bundled with their $20 rebate on all their phones = a steal, IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf StudentHandout.pdf (1.03 MB, 14 views)

Last edited by ali11 : 09-03-2010 at 06:37 PM. Reason: changed date of offer to tomorrow
Old 09-03-2010 at 06:54 PM   #28
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali11 View Post
Just an update to those waiting for a great student deal to come up... Wind has just announced they're offering a Student deal to all new activations by students (must show your student ID). It's an unbeatable deal, I can guarantee you that.

3. Caller ID, missed call alert, call forward, call conferencing, call waiting, call hold

Lets fix the bolding:
2. UnlimitedIncoming/Outgoing (Canada and the US) texts in any Wind Zone

I support WIND (although I don't use their service), and I hope they eventually put one of the big ones out of business/in serious trouble (mainly Bell), but they really need to expand faster than they currently are.
Old 09-03-2010 at 07:08 PM   #29
sun.shine

Liked: 2 Times

sun.shine is converting to windism this weekend!

ali11 likes this.
Old 09-03-2010 at 07:13 PM   #30
zombiejesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali11 View Post

woooow that's pretty good. if I could get the port in credit as well, I'd sign up for wind and let my telus account expire since I have about 4/5 months left.