MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Will you be using the services portion of WLM?
Yes 1 8.33%
No 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beta: Header Style Toggle Chad MacInsiders Announcements 42 04-25-2010 06:42 AM
Starcraft 2 - Beta patch6 Cyclogenisis Gaming 7 04-09-2010 10:28 AM
Windows Live not working! Keenu Computers & Tech 4 03-23-2010 12:11 AM
Heroes of Newerth Beta!! 2 new invites kevinf Gaming 15 02-02-2010 01:15 PM

Windows Live Messenger Beta

Old 08-19-2010 at 08:31 PM   #16
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
They're rolling out support for facebook chat support for the WLM Beta right now, that should be a welcome addition. Tabbed convos and real names were also nice additions in the beta. I don't like all the social integration nonsense though, but that is made invisible at the touch of a button and WLM Beta becomes WLM with a few new features.
Facebook chat support would be a nice addition.

Don't like the way tabs are implemented. Ugly and out of place.
Old 08-19-2010 at 08:46 PM   #17
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
WLM is not a very good program, but it's all right. The beta, this new version with all this crap, is HORRIBLE though. Absolutely awful. Astoundingly bad.

If you don't switch to the compact (i.e., old school) view, literally 80% of the screen real estate is devoted to a bunch of useless updates like "<Name> has changed his display picture". Really? I absolutely rage when I see stuff like this. Honestly, I don't care. Plus, I couldn't even find out how to change my display name because every time I tried changing it it would only change my full name, which was not what other people were seeing when talking to me.

One of the worst programs I've ever used - I promptly uninstalled and reverted to the version I had.

While we're here, does anyone know of a program as a replacement? The only thing is, I don't use any other messenger programs such as AIM or ICQ or anything, and if possible I'd like the variety and customization present in WLM right now (i.e., changing background pictures, fonts, usage of custom emoticons, etc).
http://www.amsn-project.net/index.php

http://www.emesene.org/

Alchemist11 says thanks to changturkey for this post.
Old 08-19-2010 at 09:42 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
Oh right! aMSN. I totally forgot about that, which is pretty funny since I have it as a portable application on my USB XD
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:51 PM   #19
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Back in the day, sharing folders were one of the most useful things I've ever used WLM for. Too bad they got rid of that for -- *gasp* photo sharing. It's supposed to make it easier to share pictures, but most of the time the pictures I send become so low res that you have to download the picture to see it anyway, making it take longer to use in actuality. And now I can't send songs/videos/documents en masse to someone and simply wait for the folders to sync whenever we both happen to be online.

What a shitty replacement for sharing folders.
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:53 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
Back in the day, sharing folders was one of the most useful things I've ever used WLM for. Too bad they got rid of that for -- *gasp* photo sharing. It's supposed to make it easier to share pictures, but most of the time the pictures I send become so low res that you have to download the picture to see it anyway, making it take longer to use in actuality. And now I can't send songs/videos/documents en masse to someone and simply wait for the folders to sync whenever we both happen to be online.

What a shitty replacement for sharing folders.
I didn't even know you could share folders before o.O But the photo viewing/sharing thing is super annoying, I don't like it at all.
Old 08-25-2010 at 02:02 PM   #21
Theashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I didn't even know you could share folders before o.O But the photo viewing/sharing thing is super annoying, I don't like it at all.
Well in the version before the photosharing thing, Messenger supported (and promoted) sharing folders. You could have one with every contact; it was basically a folder on your computer that you could drop files in, and Messenger would synchronize it to an identical folder on your contact's computer while both of you were online. Any changes either person made to any file in the folder would be shared between the two folders so they were always the same.

It was so useful for working on projects with another person, or for sending mass amounts of songs/videos to someone. You could close your contact window and it would still send. It was so useful. :(

But with the new version they declared on their site that most people were only using sharing folders for sending pictures, so instead of the folders they introduced the photosharing thing we have now, which absolutely blows at doing its job. I'd rather send them the file and wait for it to get there than go through the process of waiting with a big black box on my screen for a pic to download so I could preview it -- and then have to download it again if I want to keep it.
Old 08-25-2010 at 02:13 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
Well in the version before the photosharing thing, Messenger supported (and promoted) sharing folders. You could have one with every contact; it was basically a folder on your computer that you could drop files in, and Messenger would synchronize it to an identical folder on your contact's computer while both of you were online. Any changes either person made to any file in the folder would be shared between the two folders so they were always the same.

It was so useful for working on projects with another person, or for sending mass amounts of songs/videos to someone. You could close your contact window and it would still send. It was so useful. :(

But with the new version they declared on their site that most people were only using sharing folders for sending pictures, so instead of the folders they introduced the photosharing thing we have now, which absolutely blows at doing its job. I'd rather send them the file and wait for it to get there than go through the process of waiting with a big black box on my screen for a pic to download so I could preview it -- and then have to download it again if I want to keep it.
Oh that thing, I remember that... Although I didn't really use it that much. I didn't know it still sent while the conversation window was closed.

Yeah, that's what I find the most annoying about photosharing.
Old 08-25-2010 at 02:23 PM   #23
Theashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Oh that thing, I remember that... Although I didn't really use it that much. I didn't know it still sent while the conversation window was closed.

Yeah, that's what I find the most annoying about photosharing.
I used it every day lol.

I actually kept the old version of WLM so I could keep using it up until most of my contacts switched to the new WLM (it doesn't share to people with the new version). But yeah, I'm huge on sharing music (some of it my own) with people, and that was a really convenient way of doing it.