MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Mac have winter admission? hassan09 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-25-2012 09:51 PM
Bike Lanes Winter Maintenance - Hamilton Pilot for 2011/12 Winter Season Sustain11 MacInsiders Announcements 5 01-27-2012 09:35 AM
Biking in winter? Lessica General Discussion 17 01-23-2011 12:31 AM
Mcmaster during Winter turbozee General Discussion 18 10-19-2010 08:45 PM
Winter Exchange! wongywj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-12-2009 11:51 AM

Winter

Old 01-08-2014 at 10:58 AM   #1
patriots4eva

Liked: 5 Times

Winter
Hey,

So I'm in first year, and one surprising change is how freaking cold it is walking around campus! I was wondering if anyone has any survival tips for winter at Mac?

Thanks!!
Old 01-08-2014 at 11:16 AM   #2
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

Dress warm?
Old 01-08-2014 at 11:38 AM   #3
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

yea bundle up. wear gloves, a scarf, a toque, long johns. and obviously have a good winter jacket. try to wear layers inside (i.e. a tshirt/shirt, hoodie, then jacket).

also, don't stand outside for too long. cause of frost bite. keep walking, never stand still for too long in -30 deg weather. try to stay indoors as much as possible on campus and only go outside when you need to go to other buildings or need to go home.

patriots4eva says thanks to icecubz for this post.
Old 01-08-2014 at 11:42 AM   #4
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

If you're waiting for a city bus, use the bus check system to see when your next bus is coming. Don't stand around outside for 20 minutes when you could be keeping warm in MUSC.

patriots4eva says thanks to Grover for this post.
Old 01-08-2014 at 02:37 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

If you have the time, try to cut through buildings when going across campus (e.g. if I'm going from IAHS to BSB I cut through JHE to avoid being out in the cold for long periods.

patriots4eva says thanks to anon491 for this post.
Old 01-08-2014 at 02:47 PM   #6
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Cuddle with someone for warmth.

Amaryll, Entropy like this.
Old 01-08-2014 at 03:04 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Cuddle with someone for warmth.
Pretty sure you can't cuddle while walking around campus.
Old 01-08-2014 at 03:05 PM   #8
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Pretty sure you can't cuddle while walking around campus.
Says you.

Entropy likes this.
Old 01-08-2014 at 04:43 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Says you.
Not really just me. Feel free to try and prove differently.
Old 01-08-2014 at 05:10 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I have actually cuddled with people for warmth on campus before...mostly waiting for the bus.

Sounds really weird to actually spell it out, but at the time when you're all freezing, it makes a lot of sense.

In terms of keeping warm and dealing with the cold, you'd do it the same way you would anywhere. It's not like dealing with the cold on campus is any different from dealing with it elsewhere. Just use your common sense. These past few days have been unusually cold for this area, but it's been worse.
Old 01-08-2014 at 06:00 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I have actually cuddled with people for warmth on campus before...mostly waiting for the bus.

Sounds really weird to actually spell it out, but at the time when you're all freezing, it makes a lot of sense.

In terms of keeping warm and dealing with the cold, you'd do it the same way you would anywhere. It's not like dealing with the cold on campus is any different from dealing with it elsewhere. Just use your common sense. These past few days have been unusually cold for this area, but it's been worse.
I'm not saying you can't do that. I'm saying you cannot cuddle while walking. Because the OP was complaining about how cold it is walking around campus.
Old 01-08-2014 at 06:20 PM   #12
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

i always wear tights under my jeans in the winter. keeps you warm and helps jeans fit better
and never leave without a scarf and mittens. i love my huge scarf that also doubles as a shawl when needed hehe.
and maybe try winter socks, or just double up on regular socks.
stay warm!

patriots4eva says thanks to shreebee for this post.
Old 01-08-2014 at 08:32 PM   #13
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I'm not saying you can't do that. I'm saying you cannot cuddle while walking. Because the OP was complaining about how cold it is walking around campus.
Sorry, I should have worded my comment better.
I meant that I have cuddled while walking on campus, but most of the time when cuddling is used it was when I was waiting for the bus.

It's easier than doing a three-legged race...of course, I only ever did it at night when campus was fairly empty because it looks kind of funny.
Old 01-08-2014 at 08:40 PM   #14
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

So on Tuesday I was waiting for the bus, after 20 minutes of waiting at -35, I got a flu, a fever of 39 degrees and possibly meningitis.

Thank you McMaster stuff, I hope you choke on that 10 grand I paid you.

I mean jesus christ, the garbage collectors got more rights than us. They are at least unionized and can refuse to work if the conditions aren't right for them. The so called "Student Union" is more of an honorary title they aren't really doing anything.

eullwm likes this.
Old 01-08-2014 at 09:12 PM   #15
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
yea bundle up. wear gloves, a scarf, a toque, long johns. and obviously have a good winter jacket. try to wear layers inside (i.e. a tshirt/shirt, hoodie, then jacket).

also, don't stand outside for too long. cause of frost bite. keep walking, never stand still for too long in -30 deg weather. try to stay indoors as much as possible on campus and only go outside when you need to go to other buildings or need to go home.
This.

I would also suggest winter boots. I don't know how so many people wear Uggs, running shoes, sneakers, etc. in the winter since they're not waterproof or warm enough. Anyway, along with that layer up pairs of socks, wear the fuzzy/fluffy kinds or better yet get wool work socks. As another girl mentioned, you can also wear tights or leggings under your jeans.

patriots4eva says thanks to dreamer21 for this post.