MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTF Ontario just got 40 million times worse maksym General Discussion 24 11-06-2010 02:45 AM
Downloading Office Documents on a Mac from Avenue anthony Computers & Tech 4 09-30-2010 07:53 PM
rez internet downloading limit cjdzl General Discussion 12 09-24-2010 09:26 PM
Downloading Movies Ptalati Computers & Tech 1 09-19-2010 05:54 PM
downloading ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-06-2010 10:06 PM

Woman fined $1.5 million for downloading music

Old 11-06-2010 at 01:37 PM   #31
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

smart people use warez or private torrents
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:39 PM   #32
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Downloading music is legal in canada. Only the upload of music is illegal. Canada is weird/awesome like that. Personally I'll still always buy music from my favourite artists though.
Clarification. Downloading music that you bought is legal. Downloading music that you didn't buy is illegal. Uploading music that isn't yours (meaning you didn't create it) is illegal.

In Canada, the government (and licensing companies) has the right to contact ISP's at any time, and them for a list of IP addresses of people who downloaded any file that the have licensed and copyrighted, and proceed to file a lawsuit. There is no law preventing it.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 11-06-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:46 PM   #33
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Replekia, I really want to know where you get your facts from. Where did you learn that d/ling music is legal is Canada?

EDIT: Nvm..I read it. But I still don't believe it. I mean, they have every right to sue you if you infringed on copyrights.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 11-06-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:47 PM   #34
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Honestly, there is so much worse going on in this world compared to downloading music illegally. We all do it, that's reality. But really, if governments start looking at lists of who downloaded music and start charging them, that's just a waste of time. Time that they can use to do things that are ACTUALLY useful and beneficial. Unless they need money that bad to charge $62000 for like 4 minutes. That's just beyond ridiculous..
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:50 PM   #35
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Honestly, there is so much worse going on in this world compared to downloading music illegally. We all do it, that's reality. But really, if governments start looking at lists of who downloaded music and start charging them, that's just a waste of time. Time that they can use to do things that are ACTUALLY useful and beneficial. Unless they need money that bad to charge $62000 for like 4 minutes. That's just beyond ridiculous..
That's not the point. The point is people have infringed on copyrights. They have every right to take action. A wrong is still a wrong, no matter how big or small, even if everyone is doing it. We know it's wrong, and we still go ahead and d/l...so you can't complain if action is taken against you.
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:54 PM   #36
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Replekia, I really want to know where you get your facts from. Where did you learn that d/ling music is legal is Canada?

EDIT: Nvm..I read it. But I still don't believe it. I mean, they have every right to sue you if you infringed on copyrights.
I forget all the fine details but it's more or less a loophole in canadian law that allows for only the downlaod of music. Here's a quote on the topic

“Downloading music for personal use, or non-profit use is no longer targeted, and is legal.” Noël St-Hilaire, head of copyright theft investigations of the RCMP, said in an interview with Le Devoir.
St-Hilaire explained that they would rather focus on crimes that actually hurt consumers such as copyright violations related to medicine and electrical appliances, as well as ones that affect organized crime.
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:54 PM   #37
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

I'm not going to lie, I d/l music of the net also. But that's only because I don't have a credit card. I'd gladly pay for my music as soon as I get myself a cc. Music is so cheap, like a buck a song off iTunes. Even if you only listen to it once...it's just a buck! And if you listen to it over and over again, it's priceless. I'd tell you, quite a bit of the music I listen to, you can put price tag on it.

Thing is, people are just lazy. They'd rather spend a hundred bucks on a pair of shoes that they might only wear once, or even a bag or whatever, but not a buck to buy a song? There really isn't any excuse.
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:56 PM   #38
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

There's always been a grey area in downloading because the industry is living in the past and is only now starting to catch up and adapt to advancing technology. Had the industry realized the potential of the internet to spread their wares, instead of trying to crush the idea, they could be making millions and we would have much cheaper access to media. Instead, we've all become used to down,loading and so their efforts to get in on the market are becoming much harder. For example, that sites that offer legal TV streaming still make revenue from the use of ads-that's adapting. But the thing is it might be too little too late. They needed to make those kinds of moves way sooner.

Old 11-06-2010 at 01:58 PM   #39
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
I'm not going to lie, I d/l music of the net also. But that's only because I don't have a credit card. I'd gladly pay for my music as soon as I get myself a cc. Music is so cheap, like a buck a song off iTunes. Even if you only listen to it once...it's just a buck! And if you listen to it over and over again, it's priceless. I'd tell you, quite a bit of the music I listen to, you can put price tag on it.
Quoted for truth, my good man. I always buy the music I download that I end up really liking to support the artist. That being said I have 80 gigs of music but only 300 songs I really enjoy...

also I found the bit on why it's legal to DL for anyone else who's interested
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia's Article on File Sharing in Canada
For a brief period in 2004/2005, the sharing of copyrighted music files via peer-to-peer online systems was explicitly legal, due to a decision by the Federal Court, in BMG Canada Inc. v. John Doe.[9][10] Under certain conditions both downloading and uploading were held to be legal. Specifically, paragraphs [24] and [25] of the decision[11] stated that Section 80(1) of the Copyright Act allows downloading of musical works for personal use. This section specifically applied to musical works and therefore the decision made no determination as to the legality of downloading other forms of copyrighted works.
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:58 PM   #40
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
I forget all the fine details but it's more or less a loophole in canadian law that allows for only the downlaod of music. Here's a quote on the topic

“Downloading music for personal use, or non-profit use is no longer targeted, and is legal.” Noël St-Hilaire, head of copyright theft investigations of the RCMP, said in an interview with Le Devoir.
St-Hilaire explained that they would rather focus on crimes that actually hurt consumers such as copyright violations related to medicine and electrical appliances, as well as ones that affect organized crime.
Yea I read it. But note the wording. No longer 'targeted'. That doesn't mean it isn't illegal. It just means that the consequences (will never be the same?) won't be as severe in Canada, or just because it takes to much resources to track people who have downloaded music. It's mush easier and reliable to track uploads. Plus, the people who're doing the wrong are the one's who uploaded the illegal content in the first place.

And that's where torrents come it. All torrent clients seed your downloads. Even if you set your seed ratio as low as possible, you still can't set it to zero. This means that for everything you download off a torrent, you have uploaded a portion of it, giving licensing companies grounds to sue you.
Old 11-06-2010 at 02:08 PM   #41
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Yea I read it. But note the wording. No longer 'targeted'. That doesn't mean it isn't illegal.
please read 3 more words into the quote: "and is legal"
Old 11-06-2010 at 02:09 PM   #42
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
please read 3 more words into the quote: "and is legal"
Oh lol. Yikes. sorry.
Old 11-06-2010 at 02:10 PM   #43
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Oh lol. Yikes. sorry.
Easy mistake to make. Don't worry about it.
Old 11-06-2010 at 02:12 PM   #44
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

the torrents reasoning still stands though.
Old 11-06-2010 at 02:24 PM   #45
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
the torrents reasoning still stands though.
there are a few clients where you can enable zero upload, but they get crappy DL speeds as most other major clients reject their users from downloading from them. Your reasoning is entirely correct and is why torrents are fairly risky in comparison to other methods.