MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Work 3F03 - social work with groups sinthusized 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 12-10-2011 03:54 PM
Student Work Company on Campus Rossclot General Discussion 5 11-27-2009 06:23 PM
on campus work for international students oarxl.89 Volunteering Opportunities 1 08-01-2007 12:54 PM

Work on Campus

Old 07-17-2012 at 04:02 PM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

Work on Campus
I want a job on campus during the coming fall/winter term but I don't know when to apply for it. Also, will it be on the work study program under MUGSI or will I need to check for job postings under OSCAR and do all jobs require work study program eligibility. And when I apply for a job for the fall/winter 2012-2013 term will they look to see if I had summer school in spring/summer 2012 and if I had full-time studies in 2011-2012? please clarify this for me thank you!!
Old 07-17-2012 at 05:06 PM   #2
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Jobs will be posted on oscarplus in early august
Old 07-17-2012 at 08:35 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Definitely check OSCAR. Was there any type of position in particular you're looking for? The MSU also posts positions on the msu website msumcmaster.ca but you have to look out for them since they don't post them all the time, just when there are openings.
Old 07-17-2012 at 10:34 PM   #4
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Like they said, check OSCAR or the MSU website.

What kind of job would you be looking for? Perhaps some of us can give you suggestions.

I worked at AVTek last year and throughly enjoyed it.
Old 07-17-2012 at 10:45 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Literally choose a type of work and go apply to the related service(s). (i.e if you like getting dirty and sweaty go try to find out how to be one of those oranged shirted people, if you like computers apply to UTI, if you like working with food and whatnot apply to 1280 or hosp services, et cetera)
Old 07-18-2012 at 04:54 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

One word of advice from friends. If no call after applying from Oscar, just walk in and say I want a job hand in your resume and cross your fingers.

VitaSoy says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 07-18-2012 at 07:29 AM   #7
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Like they said, check OSCAR or the MSU website.

What kind of job would you be looking for? Perhaps some of us can give you suggestions.

I worked at AVTek last year and throughly enjoyed it.
I got offered an interview at avtek, but got a job at the Student Centre Admin office with the Director of the Student Centre before I could go to that interview.

I got the job in May though - for the summer, and they kept me throughout the year.

Also had an interview at the Union Market - it went badly lol - but then I heard a rumor that since its student run, the managers only hire their friends, anyone heard this?
Old 07-18-2012 at 07:37 AM   #8
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Work Study go up August 1st
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:42 PM   #9
luna

I'm particularly looking for a job in the student center, book store, athletic center or even in admin office. anything like this is fine!
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:48 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
I'm particularly looking for a job in the student center, book store, athletic center or even in admin office. anything like this is fine!
You way missed the deadline for Titles, the application is due in Feb or something if I remember correctly. I don't think they post on OSCAR either (though I could be wrong about that?).

Not sure about the other places.
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:52 PM   #11
luna

I had no idea you had to apply that early and I'm guessing its the same for the other locations!!
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:54 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
I had no idea you had to apply that early and I'm guessing its the same for the other locations!!
Many places do their hiring around that time of year, however they're all under different hiring managers (for example, Titles is its own business, pays Mac for utilities and whatnot, etc., and as a result they do all their own hiring). Just because one place hires at one time, that doesn't mean they all will.

Also, check the MSU website. That's where they have all their job postings. Again, many of them are filled in Term 2 of the previous year, but some might be available now.
Old 07-18-2012 at 11:20 PM   #13
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
You way missed the deadline for Titles, the application is due in Feb or something if I remember correctly. I don't think they post on OSCAR either (though I could be wrong about that?).

Not sure about the other places.
Titles definitely hires on OSCAR, it'll be my second school year there this September haha.

OP: Just keep checking OSCAR, tons of things open up in August.
Old 07-19-2012 at 06:54 AM   #14
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
Titles definitely hires on OSCAR, it'll be my second school year there this September haha.

OP: Just keep checking OSCAR, tons of things open up in August.
Ah okay that's fairly new then. They didn't when I worked there, I applied directly to Titles in person with a paper application form.
Old 07-19-2012 at 12:05 PM   #15
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Ah okay that's fairly new then. They didn't when I worked there, I applied directly to Titles in person with a paper application form.
You can do in-person as well Titles posts on OSCAR and accepts in-store resumes + cover letters in the Spring.