MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work Study Program VoyozooT General Discussion 7 08-22-2009 04:35 PM
Work Study Program and OSCAR N.Cheng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-21-2009 01:35 PM
Work-Study Applications Available August 1st feonateresa MacInsiders Announcements 17 08-11-2009 03:39 PM
Work-Study nuttynatz General Discussion 18 08-16-2007 09:55 PM

work study conditions

Old 03-28-2011 at 06:41 PM   #1
Sultan

Liked: 3 Times

work study conditions
Stupid question but do I have to be taking summer school in order to get approved for Work study?
I prefer a summer job on campus but am not taking any summer school. I will be returning as a full time student during the fall, however.
Old 03-28-2011 at 07:17 PM   #2
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

no ur gotta demonstrate financial need though
Old 03-28-2011 at 07:48 PM   #3
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
no ur gotta demonstrate financial need though

or you have to be taking OSAP.
Old 04-05-2011 at 05:18 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey i was just wandeirng, when i go into mugsi and go to financial aid, and click on work study aplication, then on apply... i only have like half a page which contains...info like student# name, sin... and then terms.. and a place for me a sign... and then something underneath for employer to sign....

im so confused cus when my firend applied she had like 3 pages of stuff and i only have one ( but she didnt do osap and i did)...

also i know u have to get approved before u apply to a specific job. so like do i print this page out and hand it into financial aid and then apply for job
??

im so confused can someone direct me throguh the steps

thanks alot
Old 04-05-2011 at 05:26 PM   #5
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
hey i was just wandeirng, when i go into mugsi and go to financial aid, and click on work study aplication, then on apply... i only have like half a page which contains...info like student# name, sin... and then terms.. and a place for me a sign... and then something underneath for employer to sign....

im so confused cus when my firend applied she had like 3 pages of stuff and i only have one ( but she didnt do osap and i did)...

also i know u have to get approved before u apply to a specific job. so like do i print this page out and hand it into financial aid and then apply for job
??

thanks alot
You should be able to see online if you are approved for the program and your employer will need to know that you are approved before he/she can offer you a position.

When you are offered a work study position by your employer, you print out and give them the form to sign and then hand in the signed form to Financial Aid.

Last edited by Geek : 04-05-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2011 at 06:05 PM   #6
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:

??

thanks alot
im pretty sure that means your auto-approved (since you qualified for osap)
Old 04-06-2011 at 02:59 PM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

hey i was just wandering... is it possible to get a job which is only like during first term....i was looking on oscar and pretty much all job placements are frombeg may-end aug......if i ask an employer for only one termlength job possition will they consider me ???....
Old 04-06-2011 at 03:16 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
hey i was just wandering... is it possible to get a job which is only like during first term....i was looking on oscar and pretty much all job placements are frombeg may-end aug......if i ask an employer for only one termlength job possition will they consider me ???....
Contact them, but in my opinion, I doubt it =/. If they explicitly state a 4-month commitment, they'd much rather have someone for the full 4 months than hire someone for 2 months and go through the trouble of finding someone else for the last 2 months.
Old 04-06-2011 at 03:18 PM   #9
Chevalier
Elite Member

huh i see...allright thx...also i was wandering...i know that mcwork is sort of diff then work study...or atleast it appears to be from the description on the student financial aid website..how do u apply for mcwork? is it the same as work study and u just have to go on oscar and try to find a placement in that huge list. or is there a different process?
Old 04-06-2011 at 03:25 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
huh i see...allright thx...also i was wandering...i know that mcwork is sort of diff then work study...or atleast it appears to be from the description on the student financial aid website..how do u apply for mcwork? is it the same as work study and u just have to go on oscar and try to find a placement in that huge list. or is there a different process?
I know it sucks, but that's what they expect now that we have a 4-month summer:(. I personally don't know too much about it. But I know you need to have applied for OSAP and fill the McWork application on MUGSI. There's information about both McWork and Work-Study programs here: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html
Old 04-06-2011 at 05:55 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Its my understanding that McWork is for people who are either currently studying full time and working, part time study and working, or taking a term off to do the job placement.
Work study seems to imply you're studying while you're doing your job placement. I wouldn't worry too much about the forms and whatnot, if you qualify, just state somewhere in your cover letter that you're eligible for McWork, etc, and you use the form should you get a placement (never heard of anyone actually using that form though).
Old 04-06-2011 at 07:39 PM   #12
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Off topic: Does anybody know if I would be allowed to take Organic Chem if I am not in Honours Life Sci? I really love orgo. I think I would be able to make it to honours in comin sept. Who should I contact about this topic?

Thank you.
Old 04-06-2011 at 08:10 PM   #13
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

um u can take orgo if u have atleast a C- in chem 1aa3 and u have to be in an honours program or get special permission.
Old 04-06-2011 at 09:14 PM   #14
Chevalier
Elite Member

lol that orgo bit was off topic... but back on topic..

sara thx for the link i looked at it earlier and went over it again but it still doesnt provide any hints on how to apply for mcwork...

this is basically what it said..
Quote:
Applications open for summer work ONLINE through MUGSI March 1 - July 31 and for fall/winter work-study August 1 - February 28.
and the only application on mugsi seems to be for work study?

if anyone has done mcwork before...do u know if it is different then work study, or is it essentially the same thing?
Old 04-06-2011 at 10:29 PM   #15
sf

Liked: 36 Times

The application for McWork is the same as the work study.