My Learnlink isn't working! HELP pat2010 Academics 4 03-31-2010 12:02 AM
Key Card Not Working! robots Les Prince Forum 4 03-01-2010 05:11 PM
OSAP and Working at McMaster Chimmy General Discussion 4 07-30-2009 09:43 AM

Working at McMaster

Old 08-02-2008 at 10:13 PM   #46
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Hmm, well I know that my department is going to be doing interviews but we're not doing them until after Welcome Week, our job listing should go up monday of next week.

Old 08-03-2008 at 11:57 AM   #47
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

my friend a job for the workstudy program last year and he hda interviews in early september. i ugess it really depends on the job. you can get a general idea when you look at hte job descritoin start date.
Old 08-04-2008 at 02:58 PM   #48
nikki12

Liked: 0 Times

Hi
I was just wondering that if I sign for a job which I am supposed to do all the year round i.e. in both the terms.However due to time constraint I am unable to continue .Can I leave the job in the middle?Or I cant do to legal reasons?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2008 at 04:38 PM   #49
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

No employer can force you to work, it's against the law.

As long as you give them two weeks written notice yes, you can leave your job. You may not get a reference from them, though.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

nikki12 says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-04-2008 at 07:57 PM   #50
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

And if you just decide to stop going (which you can also do) you'll lose out on your last pay or at least part of your last pay because you didn't give them time to find a replacement.

nikki12 says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 08-07-2008 at 03:39 PM   #51
Sceuchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaMarie View Post
I thought this might be worth mentioning:

Please note: All first year students will have access to OSCAR by Wednesday, August 6, 2008.

I found it on the McMaster Careers Site (careers.mcmaster.ca)
I still can't seem to access OSCAR. It still says that my username is invalid when it's the same one that I used to access MUGSI.
I'm actually going into year 2 because I transferred from another university though this'll be my first year at Mac. Could that be the reason why I still can't access OSCAR?
Old 08-07-2008 at 10:47 PM   #52
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I don't know...

But call Career Services (Monday, as they're going to be on less staff due to Welcome Day), and hopefully they can point you in the right direction.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Sceuchin says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-09-2008 at 07:55 PM   #53
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Yay diminishing!

Although I'm getting a mental image from The Simpsons...when Homer went homicidal in the mountain resort...The parody of The Shining.
this is random, but hahahaha that episode was awesome!
Old 08-10-2008 at 10:20 AM   #54
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yes. I am random, hence the mention of it.

heh.

Old 08-10-2008 at 12:35 PM   #55
amplified

I only felt qualified for two jobs available to me. I searched for hours.
But I truly believe I am highly qualified for both since I have like 2 years of working knowledge about the processions of such jobs.

Regardless, if I don't get one of them... I might cry a little. :( One had six positions open. So sads.
Old 08-10-2008 at 08:07 PM   #56
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

amplified, I know how you feel. That has happened to me on several occasions too. The only thing you can do is pick yourself up and try again.

Old 08-10-2008 at 08:33 PM   #57
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Keep in mind that these positions are highly competitive. If you don't get the job, you're not the only one who didn't get it either and like Danielle said, just pick yourself up and try again. If you do get the job, celebrate! =)

I was told that 90 people applied to the job I have. there was only one position open apparently and I somehow ended up with it. If I knew it was that competitive I probably would've freaked out and failed miserably at the interview.
Old 08-11-2008 at 03:41 PM   #58
Sync

Liked: 2 Times

"Applications received from first and second year students will not be considered."

Source: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html

What? Does this apply for work-study program?
Old 08-11-2008 at 03:58 PM   #59
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

you forgot to read the other part of that statemnet. the sentence before it
"Access to the work programs for international students is available to upper year students only (3rd year and up). Applications received from first and second year students will not be considered."

Sync says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 08-11-2008 at 06:38 PM   #60
lilpups

do we need to state our mailbox number in our "address" when we apply?
and if we do... den where do we find it??
i've been looking for it everywhere..
:O