MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DC++ not working... bcars General Discussion 3 03-02-2011 03:20 PM
Avenue not working? Pay919 Academics 5 01-24-2011 04:05 PM
Avenue not working? gallagaj Academics 210 11-09-2010 03:53 PM
OSAP and Working at McMaster Chimmy General Discussion 4 07-30-2009 09:43 AM
Working at McMaster Nino First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 72 09-17-2008 10:15 PM

Working at McMaster

Old 08-02-2011 at 03:01 PM   #1
Auror.lah

Liked: 1 Time

Working at McMaster
Is it possible/likely for a first-year student with no prior job experience find a job on McMaster campus?

To be considered for McWork you must:

Submit an online application through MUGSI
Been a McMaster Undergraduate degree, School of Medicine, Mohawk Nursing Consortium or Physicians Assistant student in the most recent fall/winter session (not a 'Continuing' student)
NOT be eligible to graduate at either the Spring or Fall Convocations of the current year
Be returning to McMaster in his/her program in the next fall session
Have applied for OSAP or other government-sponsored loan prams (i.e. StudentAid BC) during the academic year OR can adequately demonstrate financial need

The second requirement confuses me; does it mean I have to have already attended McMaster in order to qualify? Thank you. : )
Old 08-02-2011 at 04:26 PM   #2
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

No, pretty sure you can still apply
Old 08-02-2011 at 04:27 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror.lah View Post
Is it possible/likely for a first-year student with no prior job experience find a job on McMaster campus?

To be considered for McWork you must:

Submit an online application through MUGSI
Been a McMaster Undergraduate degree, School of Medicine, Mohawk Nursing Consortium or Physicians Assistant student in the most recent fall/winter session (not a 'Continuing' student)
NOT be eligible to graduate at either the Spring or Fall Convocations of the current year
Be returning to McMaster in his/her program in the next fall session
Have applied for OSAP or other government-sponsored loan prams (i.e. StudentAid BC) during the academic year OR can adequately demonstrate financial need

The second requirement confuses me; does it mean I have to have already attended McMaster in order to qualify? Thank you. : )
Is it possible/likely for a first-year student with no prior job experience to use the search function on Macinsiders?

But to answer your question, no.

McWork =/= working on campus, its just one possible McMaster-related work thingy.

Slightly off-topic, but I just saw a Paradise Catering hiring sign (on campus food catering service) is hiring August 10th.. go check outside their office for more details.
Old 08-02-2011 at 05:46 PM   #4
Auror.lah

Liked: 1 Time

Thank you MichaelScarn and RyanC.

I did try searching up McWork but I did not find the answer to my question. I suppose this is one of the many things that in hindsight will look very simple but are very confusing for a freshman? XD
Old 08-02-2011 at 06:43 PM   #5
ashlay17

Liked: 0 Times

If you live in residence you can apply to become a GRS (Guest Registration Staff) member. They start accepting applications mid-September. You just sign in residents and guests into residence buildings.

Auror.lah says thanks to ashlay17 for this post.
Old 08-02-2011 at 08:07 PM   #6
callmeliz

where/when/how do we apply for on campus jobs?
Old 08-02-2011 at 09:36 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeliz View Post
where/when/how do we apply for on campus jobs?
There is no one place/time/application process that encompasses all on-campus jobs. There are a ton of jobs on campus, each with their own process. Check OSCAR or the individual place you are interested in working for (ie, MSU website, hospitality website, ath/rec website, etc). Many places have already filled up positions for September (hiring was done last year), but there are also some still available.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:07 AM   #8
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

They have offices where you can ask these kinds of questions when you arrive in September. I hear Mac will hire students in the summer to help with grounds keeping and maintenance, but during the school year? I'm not so sure.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:55 AM   #9
toosh

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay17 View Post
If you live in residence you can apply to become a GRS (Guest Registration Staff) member. They start accepting applications mid-September. You just sign in residents and guests into residence buildings.
GRS is a good one. and it's only weekends. If i remember correctly it was thursday, friday,saturday nights and you usually work one 9:30-3:30 shift. You meet a lot of people outside your res that way too! Just keep your eyes on the mac res website
Old 08-03-2011 at 12:16 PM   #10
Hospitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
There is no one place/time/application process that encompasses all on-campus jobs. There are a ton of jobs on campus, each with their own process. Check OSCAR or the individual place you are interested in working for (ie, MSU website, hospitality website, ath/rec website, etc). Many places have already filled up positions for September (hiring was done last year), but there are also some still available.

Hospitality is hiring for September. If you can, come to our job fair on August 10th at the Sheraton Hamilton Hotel (located in the East Ballroom, 116 King St. West) from 8:30am - 5:00pm. Please bring your résumé and identification.

Pay rate: starts from $10.50 per hour (Flexible Schedule)

Interview will be conducted on site.

If you cant make it that day, please email us your resume at [email protected] ca

Connect with us on Twitter: @MacHospitality