Key Card Not Working! robots Les Prince Forum 4 03-01-2010 05:11 PM
OSAP and Working at McMaster Chimmy General Discussion 4 07-30-2009 09:43 AM

Working at McMaster

Old 07-22-2008 at 03:03 AM   #1
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Working at McMaster
Sorry if this topic has already been discussed but I am wondering if there is a link or information about jobs at McMaster or anything like that because I am going to need a job during first year and it would be great if it is a job at McMaster. Job suggestions anywhere else at Hamilton are welcome too. Thanks...

Last edited by nino : 07-22-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2008 at 07:47 AM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

more information will be posted in August
Old 07-22-2008 at 08:00 AM   #3
amplified

Liked: 0 Times

I cannot login to OSCAR.
Yes my MACID is set up, yes it is verified.

I asked the career services office, they said I was doing everything right, that it's just a registration thing. Apparently most job postings happen in August, no? Early August and on?

Anyways. I'm getting a little irritated. I check if it will let me in basically everyday. Funny thing about schooling, it needs money! Thus, I need a job.

>.>
Old 07-22-2008 at 08:26 AM   #4
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

amplified,
I know it's a frustrating proccess but just hold on for a bit longer. We start putting out applications in August and the hiring proccess, like interviews will take place in early Sept.

Keep looking but don't get frantic yet, August is when they will start coming out. Also, if you're on OSAP you automatically qualify for what is called McWork. McWork jobs are basically when the government gives certain departments money to create a job for you and hire students with low incomes. Even if you're not on OSAP you can apply for this through the Financial Aid Office. Check it out when you've got a minute because it makes getting a job just that little bit easier.

Old 07-22-2008 at 08:36 AM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

I work at Career Services so I PROMISE I'll let you all know when the date arrives. I'll give you more information closer to the date as well.
Old 07-22-2008 at 03:54 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

The Underground is hiring now! http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/mirror/jobsvol.php

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-23-2008 at 09:08 PM   #7
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Oh, alright...Thanks a lot. I have a question though. I was applying for the Customer Service Rep position that is offered by The Underground but it asked for the school address, postal code and phone, and home address, postal code and phone. Do I use my highschool and my home information or McMaster and residence information for that?
Old 07-23-2008 at 09:15 PM   #8
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Where you will be living in sept and your family home. Ie: residence and your parents place

Old 07-25-2008 at 07:45 AM   #9
nikki12

Hi
I ma looking for a job like 4-5 hours a week max in fall..........can anyone suggest one?
Thanks........
Old 07-25-2008 at 10:23 AM   #10
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time

Working at Mac vs. working on campus?

Are there certain people in different financial situations that are more likely to get hired on campus?
Old 07-25-2008 at 10:26 AM   #11
ferreinm
Elite Member

The work study program is for those that are eligible for OSAP and require financial assistance. Those needing financial assistance are the only ones to be hired under the work study program.

However, there are other jobs on campus for those who aren't in need of financial assistance.
Old 07-25-2008 at 12:54 PM   #12
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Nikki,
A student can only work 10 hours a week if they're hired by Mac. If you want to set your own hours I suggest the Liaison Office as a Student Tour Guide. Each tour is about 1 to 1.5 hours and you choose when you want to do a tour, you have to do at least 3 a month.

Lexington,
Working on campus is often the better choice because your boss knows your a student and has to accomodate that, you can work between classes which makes it easier to get from class to work and back again.

Everyone is entitled to getting a job on campus although there is a program for students who have great financial need called McWork. If you're on OSAP you automatically qualify for McWork, if not you can still apply and it will be accessed by the Financial Aid office based on your financial need. That doesn't mean that if you're on OSAP you've a better shot at getting a job though it does mean that there is a certain amount of jobs set aside for students with financial problems. Even if you're not on OSAP nor do you need it but you still want to make some money you can get a job on campus.

magicgalme, nikki12, ~*Sara*~, __lexington all say thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 07-25-2008 at 10:36 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Working at Mac is the same as working on campus.

I know for full-time summer employment the school takes preference over students who get McWork, but in the school year its not the same.

Can we suggest a specific job thats 4-5 hours a week? No. We really don't know what is available and how many hours a week they offer. You can read the job applications as they come available on OSCAR and the MSU website, and always enquire with the management before you apply.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

nikki12 says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 07-26-2008 at 12:52 PM   #14
ferreinm
Elite Member

Work Study job postings will be up on August 1st

Also, keep in mind that if you are a student with a disability there is a new program at Career Services to help you seek employment. You can message me for details =)
Old 07-26-2008 at 03:17 PM   #15
nikki12

Hi
To search on oscar what should be my key word:-mcmaster university,oncampus jobs?what will suit if I wanna work on campus?