MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a part time or full time job killza Volunteering Opportunities 1 06-24-2010 02:05 PM
Working Part-Time during University Jake General Discussion 57 08-08-2009 10:20 PM
OSAP and working part time Jhey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 41 07-17-2009 08:47 AM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
Working Part-Time: Good Idea or Bad Idea? lorend Jobs & Employment Tips 2 02-28-2008 01:10 PM

working part time

Old 07-15-2009 at 10:54 AM   #1
joannasmith

Liked: 1 Time

working part time
Going into first year at residence is a big change.
I was thinking of applying to one of the restarants off campus to probably work 2 or 3 shfits that are about 3 hours long.
I am also in social sciences which is 15 hours of class a week.

should i apply for a job? or will it be hard with the big change of living in residence, classes, etc.?

thanks !
Old 07-15-2009 at 10:56 AM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You should be fine with a job. My roommates are in social sciences and they ended up having a lot of free time.

Just make sure that you try to find a flexible employer and that you time manage.
Old 07-15-2009
kokosas
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-15-2009 at 11:19 AM   #3
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

You'll be fine. Why don't you also try for a campus job? They are usually a lot more accomodating of your academic committments and only let you work a certain number of hours in a week, so you dont get carried away with work and forget about school.
Old 07-15-2009 at 11:33 AM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
You'll be fine. Why don't you also try for a campus job? They are usually a lot more accomodating of your academic committments and only let you work a certain number of hours in a week, so you dont get carried away with work and forget about school.
I agree, you should probably try and find a campus job before searching off campus.
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:03 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I agree, you should probably try and find a campus job before searching off campus.
While working on-campus is a great way to be involved with the community, there's no reason why you shouldn't look off-campus; especially in the west-end of the city. This is a university neighborhood, and the part-time employers all employ students. They're all going to be more or less flexible (we've all heard about the horror stories, but those are exceptions).

I've held the same off-campus job for 2 years now, and they've been amazing. I can manage 25-30 hours of work per week, with school and extra-curriculars on top of that and I can still scrape together a social life (MSU eats you up... MSU pretty much = social life at this point )
Old 07-15-2009 at 05:45 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I just came from an interview with an off-campus job that's four nights a week, about 3 hour shifts. It's also close to my apartment and Mac so it works out. So yeah, don't knock off-campus too fast ... but on-campus is probably way better since you're on residence.

I had quite a bit of time in social sciences last year, just when you had essays to write and assignments and exams, it's a bit much.
Old 07-16-2009 at 02:24 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Everyone seems to be forgetting that most, if not all MSU jobs have hired at this point. Many other on-campus jobs will have already hired by this point in the year as well. If you're still looking for something for next year you likely will need to look off-campus.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-16-2009 at 02:27 PM   #8
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

There's another, longer thread about working part time during the year under the General section if you want to see more replies.

My comments are the same as the other thread: unless you NEED to work, I wouldn't suggest it. I wish I didn't work first year so I could get used to university.
Old 07-16-2009 at 02:43 PM   #9
jrautins

Liked: 0 Times

Im going into second year... last year I held a part time job about 10 hours a week working for McMaster. It was really good to have that extra cash in hand. But don't try to get a restaurant job... a) bad shifts and b) like little to no tips for the extra stress of working in a restaurant. My boss at McMaster was really please with me this year and asked me to double the work load for next year. But they are really, really flexible especially if you had midterms, exams, etc.
Old 07-16-2009 at 02:55 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Everyone seems to be forgetting that most, if not all MSU jobs have hired at this point. Many other on-campus jobs will have already hired by this point in the year as well. If you're still looking for something for next year you likely will need to look off-campus.
Funny, I was looking for jobs on campus since February and I didn't really see much.
Old 07-16-2009 at 03:13 PM   #11
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Funny, I was looking for jobs on campus since February and I didn't really see much.
Have you tried OSCAR?
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:40 PM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Have you tried OSCAR?
Yeah, that's what I was looking at. Either I wasn't in the program it required or I wasn't in the right year or didn't have experience, yadda yadda yadda.

So I'm confused then. If most on-campus jobs have been hired for already, then why is it opening in August? For next year? Like 2010-2011?
Old 07-17-2009 at 11:40 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Most does technically mean not all.

The MSU hires I believe 400 students, and if you include RLS staff and most of the departments on campus (CSD, Career Services etc) the number of students already hired for the upcoming year is likely around 900.

So yes there still are jobs available, but tons are already filled.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement