MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
working part time joannasmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-17-2009 11:40 AM
OSAP and working part time Jhey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 41 07-17-2009 08:47 AM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
Part-Time Jobs Available with University Advancement! temara.brown Volunteering Opportunities 0 08-21-2008 09:04 PM
Working Part-Time: Good Idea or Bad Idea? lorend Jobs & Employment Tips 2 02-28-2008 01:10 PM

Working Part-Time during University

Old 07-14-2009 at 10:42 AM   #16
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
Most employers should be willing to work around your school schedule or let you have time off for midterms and exams. Everywhere I've worked has been really good about that kind of stuff (even when I was in high school); they realise how important school is.

University jobs are best for this, otherwise it depends on your boss. I worked at Fortino's when I was in first year and while my boss was very flexible I knew there were others in the store that were less than accommodating.

Old 07-14-2009 at 10:57 AM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I worked in the MSU for two years, and both years I was given a lot of accommodations for my schedule and/or requests for time off. And even though I'm the type who manages their time really well, there were times when I got really stressed out because there would usually be a lot going on at work as well as school (yay Murphy's Law)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-14-2009 at 02:48 PM   #18
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Jake, I think the real answer depends on you, as well as your course load! How are your time management skills? How are you at making yourself stick to a schedule of what needs to be done (or planning it out in the first place)? How are you at making sure that you balance school/work/social time so that you stay healthy?

Some people seem to be able to juggle a million balls all at once, and others, not so many...it can take a while to adjust to the format of university life/learning. You could always see how you find things for a few weeks and then decide if you can add more to your plate; extra cash is a nice thing.
Old 07-14-2009 at 02:52 PM   #19
daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I worked in the MSU for two years, and both years I was given a lot of accommodations for my schedule and/or requests for time off. And even though I'm the type who manages their time really well, there were times when I got really stressed out because there would usually be a lot going on at work as well as school (yay Murphy's Law)
Why is that?!

Last edited by daisy : 07-14-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2009 at 02:56 PM   #20
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

A few of my friends lost their entrance scholarships because they were too focused on work/had poor time management, whatever. Don't forget that you can get extra scholarships for having a high average - for example: the University Senate Award. In my situation, these scholarships are much more than I would make at a part-time job during school.

Ultimately, I agree with Daisy. If you can time-manage and have a job with flexible hours so that you can work, study, and have free time (which is absolutely essential) then go for it.
Old 07-14-2009 at 02:56 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
Why is that?!
I think it's because she's really good at time management, but it just so happens that there were times when work and school overloaded her. Hence, Murphy's Law, everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Edit: Not sure if that really helps though, I kind of just took her words and restated them :\
Old 07-14-2009 at 02:59 PM   #22
daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
A few of my friends lost their entrance scholarships because they were too focused on work/had poor time management, whatever. Don't forget that you can get extra scholarships for having a high average - for example: the University Senate Award. In my situation, these scholarships are much more than I would make at a part-time job during school.
Those are really interesting points.
Old 07-14-2009 at 03:02 PM   #23
daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I think it's because she's really good at time management, but it just so happens that there were times when work and school overloaded her. Hence, Murphy's Law, everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Edit: Not sure if that really helps though, I kind of just took her words and restated them :\
I knew what she meant...I was commiserating, but I guess it didn't come across that way! Life seems to happen that way, it seems, "it never rains, but it pours"!
Old 07-14-2009 at 03:11 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I knew what she meant...I was commiserating, but I guess it didn't come across that way! Life seems to happen that way, it seems, "it never rains, but it pours"!
Ah ok. I don't think things always goes wrong. I think we just dwell on the little things, which add up and become bigger things.
Old 07-14-2009 at 03:17 PM   #25
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I had a job each year.. I'd recommend taking first year off to figure out your studying habits and then looking for one.
Old 07-14-2009 at 03:26 PM   #26
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

As well Jake you might find that one semester lends itself to a job better. For example, all throughout high school, my winter terms were intense and the weather just took a lot out of me so I focused on my school work because that was what really counted for me. Others find that they can balance extra curriculars better in winter because they're bored, rather than in spring where the nice days are too much of a distraction and they work on studying more.

When you get your timetable and rearrange it you can see which semester would be better to pursue a job in

Jobs come and they go, but you should only have to worry about doing your first year of university once.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-15-2009 at 01:20 AM   #27
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Why is that?!
That's the way Murphy's Law works. If things can go wrong they will go wrong.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-15-2009 at 10:22 AM   #28
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I'd just like to interject with this:

Who do you think gets the job (generally speaking):

- A student with a 98% average, but no work experience

- A student with a 70-80% average, but a variety of work experiences, volunteer experience (including being involved at school), strong social skills, etc.

I personally believe that a well-rounded student who can get good grades (not necessarily amazing grades) and work + volunteer + social life and manage everything is a much more desirable employee.

You may be able to make money off of scholarships, and therefore not have to work a job to meet tuition or other needs, but think about the sacrifices you may need to make in other areas, including work/volunteer experience and the social arena.

Remember this piece of advice (especially the incoming first-years): your experiences outside of the classroom/library are significantly more important than those inside of the classroom. Once you're adjusted to university life (and I admit, that can be challenging) get out there and get involved. That could mean getting a job, or volunteering, or both; but whatever you do, contribute to your university community.

daisy, Geek, lorend, Mz.Morra13 like this.
Old 07-15-2009 at 10:38 AM   #29
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post

- A student with a 70-80% average, but a variety of work experiences, volunteer experience (including being involved at school), strong social skills, etc.

I personally believe that a well-rounded student who can get good grades (not necessarily amazing grades) and work + volunteer + social life and manage everything is a much more desirable employee.

You may be able to make money off of scholarships, and therefore not have to work a job to meet tuition or other needs, but think about the sacrifices you may need to make in other areas, including work/volunteer experience and the social arena.

Remember this piece of advice (especially the incoming first-years): your experiences outside of the classroom/library are significantly more important than those inside of the classroom. Once you're adjusted to university life (and I admit, that can be challenging) get out there and get involved. That could mean getting a job, or volunteering, or both; but whatever you do, contribute to your university community.
I'd just like to clarify, as this seems directed towards my post. I don't work during school because I don't need to and I'm making more from scholarships ($6000 + $2000 + $800) than I would working part time at a minimum wage job.

That said, just because I don't work it doesn't mean that I don't volunteer or that I'm not involved in extracurriculars. Trust me, I do more than the average student. For me, working would take away time that I would put towards ECs.

My point was, that it might be nice to have extra cash around but make sure you do so wisely. If you're working so that you can pay for school, make sure you don't lose your scholarships - which has happened to quite a few people.

daisy likes this.
Old 07-15-2009 at 11:39 AM   #30
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post

I just want to mention one thing; I do agree with Ben that work experience is important for getting a job after graduation, but if you plan to pursue further education (grad school, professional school, etc.) you don't really want to fall into the second category (70% average).

Taunton says thanks to PTGregD for this post.

daisy likes this.