MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How big is the Honours Chemistry Class? theboywho2 Academics 4 08-25-2013 05:10 PM
Honours Chemistry Co-op rezamalaeka Academics 5 07-24-2013 03:02 PM
Honours Biology and Chemistry 2OA3 exuberant888 Academics 6 05-01-2011 02:19 PM
Honours Chemistry or Honours Chemical Biology? (Undergrad) Porsche Academics 21 07-12-2010 02:25 AM

What is the workload like in Honours Chemistry?

Old 08-25-2013 at 04:46 PM   #1
theboywho2

Liked: 4 Times

What is the workload like in Honours Chemistry?
I'm thinking about switching into Honours Chemistry. Are there any upper years who can comment on the program? How are the labs, how difficult it the program ect...
Old 08-25-2013 at 05:02 PM   #2
UnfortunateL

Liked: 7 Times

I can comment on it, but you're currently in Biochem it seems?

Labs are 2x 4 hours every week for 2 years (2LA3, 2LB3, 3LA3, 3LB3) They're research oriented and are well taught. They're a pain, but enjoyable if you're passionate about chem.

It's difficult, but not something that can't be worked around through proper studying and practice. You shouldn't be pursuing chemistry if you think it's easy or hard anyways. It's a science you need a true love for or else you're going to find yourself miserable.
Old 08-25-2013 at 05:08 PM   #3
theboywho2

Yea, I'd be starting biochem the up coming year but I think I would be happier in chemistry cause I realized I don't care about DNA or anything to do with genes proteins or genetics. I got 12s in the first year chems and I enjoyed them. How would u compare the upper year courses to the first year chems? Like is it reasonable to go in with the mind set i'm gunna get 10+s in the upper year chem courses. or are they impossibly hard like physics courses?
Old 08-25-2013 at 05:12 PM   #4
theboywho2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateL View Post
I can comment on it, but you're currently in Biochem it seems?

Labs are 2x 4 hours every week for 2 years (2LA3, 2LB3, 3LA3, 3LB3) They're research oriented and are well taught. They're a pain, but enjoyable if you're passionate about chem.

It's difficult, but not something that can't be worked around through proper studying and practice. You shouldn't be pursuing chemistry if you think it's easy or hard anyways. It's a science you need a true love for or else you're going to find yourself miserable.
Like how competent do you have to be in math to be successful. Im pretty decent in math and enjoy it but i don't want to do anything that gets too ridiculously abstract.
Old 08-25-2013 at 05:22 PM   #5
UnfortunateL

Chem is more math-founded than biochem/chembio. You're probably sounding a bit more of a chemistry person. Math competence is.......medium level at worst. What math courses did you take in first year? If you can do simple integration/differentiation you shouldn't have too much more trouble understanding certain things. The only difficult course is probably quantum mechanics, but that's.....because it's quantum mechanics.

It shouldn't be an issue at all to get 12's as long as you put the time and effort in. Lab courses are easy marks if you do them properly, and other courses are just about practice.

Biochem/chembio are more about knowing everything rather than figuring problems out. In chemistry, thats what you're going to do. You're going to take small theories, trends, physical properties etc and extrapolate them to certain circumstances you're in.

theboywho2 says thanks to UnfortunateL for this post.
Old 08-25-2013 at 05:41 PM   #6
theboywho2

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-25-2013 at 05:44 PM   #7
UnfortunateL

We're also freaking awesome we all love to drink and the program is like a tight knit family! And we upper years don't mind helping out either!
Old 08-25-2013 at 05:48 PM   #8
theboywho2

Yea I noticed chemistry is extremely small. You have like <40 students in each year which is ridiculous. It's like the amount of people in a high school class.
Old 08-25-2013 at 06:39 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywho2 View Post
Yea I noticed chemistry is extremely small. You have like <40 students in each year which is ridiculous. It's like the amount of people in a high school class.
I think that's great...my undergrad program had about 15 people in it in my year. It was awesome - now I'm in a much bigger program (~235 people), and it's so weird/different.
Old 08-25-2013 at 08:01 PM   #10
Cpl. Saint

Liked: 1 Time

Hey theboywho2,

I can give your some insight too about chem. Luka's right, the bulk of our program is the lab course. It can be tough at times cuz there are 2 labs a week some with huge write ups. There are a fair amount of all nighters just with any other program. However it is very rewarding at times with such a small program everybody helps each other. As for the math, the only course that matters in quantum however it is just the surface of quantum mechanics unlike physics which really goes into the nitty gritty details. We are taught the basic math need to understand the concepts of quantum. It is more of the abstract concepts that are hard to understand. The other course with a bit of math was math for chemist which wasn't difficult. Why don't you try to take some of the chem courses? Perhaps chem 2OC3 which is an alternative to 2OA3. Dr. Brook is an amazing prof and I think you will enjoy it. Currently we have less than 30 people and that's including the artscis and iscis. Good luck I hope you find the program you like.
Old 08-25-2013 at 10:27 PM   #11
UnfortunateL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Saint View Post
Hey theboywho2,

I can give your some insight too about chem. Luka's right, the bulk of our program is the lab course. It can be tough at times cuz there are 2 labs a week some with huge write ups. There are a fair amount of all nighters just with any other program. However it is very rewarding at times with such a small program everybody helps each other. As for the math, the only course that matters in quantum however it is just the surface of quantum mechanics unlike physics which really goes into the nitty gritty details. We are taught the basic math need to understand the concepts of quantum. It is more of the abstract concepts that are hard to understand. The other course with a bit of math was math for chemist which wasn't difficult. Why don't you try to take some of the chem courses? Perhaps chem 2OC3 which is an alternative to 2OA3. Dr. Brook is an amazing prof and I think you will enjoy it. Currently we have less than 30 people and that's including the artscis and iscis. Good luck I hope you find the program you like.
Wait a minute, Jeffrey Suen?
Old 08-25-2013 at 10:28 PM   #12
ngloyson

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateL View Post
Wait a minute, Jeffery Suen?
Wait a minute, Luka?!!
Old 08-25-2013 at 10:31 PM   #13
UnfortunateL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngloyson View Post
Wait a minute, Luka?!!
The Ghost of McMaster, Luka Sovulj, that's me alright.
Old 08-26-2013 at 09:06 AM   #14
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

I suppose you're all wondering why I've gathered you here today....

In all seriousness, I've seen Susi around MI before, we should get her in on this thread, too.

To answer the question, I love the chem program. Yes, the labs are a bit intense, but the small class sizes and enthusiastic, knowledgeable profs are worth it. And the labs can also be one of the most fun parts, when you don't have two reports due in a couple hours.... I'd say Chem 2PD3 (phys chem) has been the most math-intense so far, but quantum's probably gonna be worse. You just have to keep working on it and doing the practice problems and it'll sort itself out in your mind eventually.