MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have you been to 3rd World Countries? aviaf General Discussion 18 07-10-2010 06:52 PM
Looking for a part time or full time job killza Volunteering Opportunities 1 06-24-2010 02:05 PM
It's that time of year again: Daylight Savings Time! manu MacInsiders Announcements 5 03-14-2010 03:47 AM
am i full time or part time????? macculkin General Discussion 9 09-14-2009 10:09 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

world war 3 time lolololol

Old 11-23-2010 at 09:39 AM   #16
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
It's rediculous how some people think that this is going to blow up into something huge. Yes, tensions are high, and yes people did die. But I don't think that there is anything huge at stake here that will lead other countries to get heavily involved......except for the US perhaps. I think this is just a little squirmish/incident that will blow over real soon.
It's the second time in the last year that North Korea has actually attacked South Korea (the first time was 8 months ago, North Korea sank a South Korean ship, killing dozens).

Japan is prepping to step in and help South Korea if needed, the US backs South Korea, and South Korea itself has said that if there is one more incident, it will trigger an "enormous" response.

How many times can North Korea kill South Koreans without a response?

I guess we'll all find out.
Old 11-23-2010 at 09:49 AM   #17
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Well you have to remember the more time goes by the more nukes (and perhaps better nukes) are being made by the North. You also have to realize if this goes to all out war, Kim is not stupid he knows they will try to crush the north. He will not hesitate to send every single nuke, missile, and artillery into the south. Which might I add, the north has the largest number of artillery in the world, and they are pretty much aimed at the South's capital.

Also, don't count China out of this. The last thing China wants is a war on its borders with millions of North Koreans migrating into its cities. Especially if the US gets involved...China does really want Taiwan.

Old 11-23-2010 at 10:03 AM   #18
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

dude chill out he probably just has like 3 nukes lol
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:30 AM   #19
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
dude chill out he probably just has like 3 nukes lol
1) Look at the size of the Koreas...they aren't that big...he doesn't need a lot of nukes.

2) He is probably making more nukes.

Old 11-23-2010 at 11:37 AM   #20
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

I highly doubt this will escalate into anything. The North has no real intention of starting a war....the only motivation behind these latest provocations has been for the political posturing of their leaders. They are going to keep up with these small attacks in order to maintain there political power at home, and can pretty well expect no real military retaliation form the South.

Why? The South is a modern, wealthy economy now. They have a lot more to lose than the North does, and the thought of a nuclear warhead detonating over Seoul I think is a frightening enough thought that they are willing to let the North get away with these small scale attacks.
Old 11-23-2010 at 11:41 AM   #21
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

The most likely scenario is that they will just remain the way they are until NK is drained of their resources.

An unlikely, poor case scenario is that this won`t become another World War, but another `Nam, with China playing the role of the Soviet Union. That`s what I think because of their current status.

Worst case scenario:

In terms of military tactics, if NK launches nukes towards SK, they`re going to be screwed, because their southern front will be contaminated, leaving them to fight on the other fronts. They will be trapped, and if they do launch nukes everywhere, leaving them as the only survivors, they will fall even harder because they will be trapped in their island and eventually drain their own resources.

I don`t think they`re that foolish, although the fear is that they are close to it.

Last edited by justinsftw : 11-23-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-23-2010 at 12:07 PM   #22
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
I highly doubt this will escalate into anything. The North has no real intention of starting a war....the only motivation behind these latest provocations has been for the political posturing of their leaders. They are going to keep up with these small attacks in order to maintain there political power at home, and can pretty well expect no real military retaliation form the South.

Why? The South is a modern, wealthy economy now. They have a lot more to lose than the North does, and the thought of a nuclear warhead detonating over Seoul I think is a frightening enough thought that they are willing to let the North get away with these small scale attacks.
Agreed. /12char

Old 11-23-2010 at 12:17 PM   #23
gongshow

Liked: 9 Times

I figured that if somebody is in Medicine that person will be mature and smart enough to realize how serious this topic is but apparently they are not. I guess some people does not grow up.
Old 11-23-2010 at 12:18 PM   #24
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
The most likely scenario is that they will just remain the way they are until NK is drained of their resources.

An unlikely, poor case scenario is that this won`t become another World War, but another `Nam, with China playing the role of the Soviet Union. That`s what I think because of their current status.

Worst case scenario:

In terms of military tactics, if NK launches nukes towards SK, they`re going to be screwed, because their southern front will be contaminated, leaving them to fight on the other fronts. They will be trapped, and if they do launch nukes everywhere, leaving them as the only survivors, they will fall even harder because they will be trapped in their island and eventually drain their own resources.

I don`t think they`re that foolish, although the fear is that they are close to it.
I don't think the North can be drained of all their economic resources unless the whole world, including China (has to include China no matter what, because the North could survive forever if China were even its only trading partner, which it will never be because there are many other nations that still don't see eye to eye with the "west") were to impose total sanctions on NK.

However, you have to realize they cannot do this because in doing so the world would be condemning the NK people to starvation and death. And even if this had happened, the North Korean leadership will most likely take out as much of its enemies as it could before being destroyed. For instance if they were actually blocked from any further economic trade, the leadership knowing they are going to sink into the ground would probably highly consider going into all out war and destroying as much of SK and perhaps other enemies such as Japan.

Also, if the previous situation were to ever happen, it would probably be at a much later time than now. By then, NK could have many more nuclear warheads.

I honestly think, due to the options available, the best thing is diplomacy. I know its failed so far, but what are you going to do?

I would say the best chance is to try and deal more openly with the new leadership (Kim's son). Unfortunately, I'm assuming his son has been taught throughout his life to be loyal only to the leadership and to the country. However, if the right moves are made, diplomats could probably convince him that if he were to cooperate and move his country in a democratic or at least peaceful direction that he would get large economic incentives. They can probably scare him a little bit he is still young. Instead of the possibility of all out war where he would most certainly end up dead, the country can move in a direction where he would be embraced as a new democratic leader.

Honestly, they don't have many other options.

Old 11-23-2010 at 12:21 PM   #25
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow View Post
I figured that if somebody is in Medicine that person will be mature and smart enough to realize how serious this topic is but apparently they are not. I guess some people does not grow up.
or maybe he is not in medicine

revenant says thanks to healthsci1 for this post.
Old 11-23-2010 at 12:50 PM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
or maybe he is not in medicine
or how about field of study has nothing to do with level of maturity

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-23-2010 at 01:22 PM   #27
gongshow

Liked: 9 Times

maturity and level of study is positively correlated.
Old 11-23-2010 at 01:40 PM   #28
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
knowing Kim Jong-Il hes probably going to rush nuke while SK is massing marines
More like a Diamond level player vs. Silver level player...
By the time Kim Jong has nukes, SK will have just finished his barracks...
Old 11-23-2010 at 02:37 PM   #29
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Hi,

You're great

Sincerely,
the internets
Old 11-23-2010 at 02:46 PM   #30
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Nah, North Korea might have the army + tech advantage, but SK is way ahead in econ because they made more SCVs. All SK has to do is turtle while massing banshee/vikings + siege tanks and then go for a timing push

justinsftw likes this.