MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ipad 2 olive General Discussion 8 07-23-2011 05:14 PM
Is the Physics 1L03 book worth buying? Strategy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 01-14-2011 07:46 PM
Is it worth buying the mcpass? hiba First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-26-2009 09:05 PM
Worth buying a Macpass? kanishka First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-30-2009 02:07 PM

Is it worth buying an ipad for schooling?

Old 02-06-2014 at 09:35 PM   #1
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Is it worth buying an ipad for schooling?
I already have a laptop, but I don't want to carry this heavy machine along with 3 other monstrous textbooks.
So I'm thinking of buying an ipad for note taking in class

I've seen some people in class who were taking notes with their ipad and also who were using it while they were studying (not sure how they were using ipad)

So do you guys think it's worth buying an ipad for my purpose?
Old 02-06-2014 at 10:17 PM   #2
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

my parents got me a tablet for school in first year...
i never use it
Old 02-06-2014 at 10:34 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Tablets are usually not a good idea for notes. Some people like them, some don't. Try it out in a store or borrow a friend's to get the answer you seek.
Old 02-06-2014 at 10:40 PM   #4
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Why are you carrying your textbooks to class? I avoid bringing books to campus at all possible costs ( I live off campus). I also went with a lighter laptop (14inch, not an ultrabook but still not one of those hulking huge laptops). If all you have is a laptop + adapter, it's easier to manage.
Old 02-07-2014 at 12:46 AM   #5
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

It all depends on how you like working. I myself could never do without my laptop but there are plenty of people in my class that use just an iPad for all their means, it can definitely be a replacement for most people.

Take advantage of the replacement policy most places have and give it a try, only way you will know.
Old 02-07-2014 at 04:24 AM   #6
raptorboi

Liked: 6 Times

I have an iPad air and I can't even download lecture notes from avenue. Maybe I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm pretty sure you can't download anything on an iPad other than apps. Go with a surface if u wanna do note taking I guess, you have more download abilities on those, that's what bestbuy told me. This message was written on my iPad ! Great for internet cruzing and stuff
Old 02-07-2014 at 06:58 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Samsung tablets are excellent for note-taking, compared to say, the nexus 7. But My N7 does me great for taking lecture notes. Also have yet to find the perfect note-taking app; but have an okay one so far.
Old 02-07-2014 at 07:19 AM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Samsung tablets are excellent for note-taking, compared to say, the nexus 7. But My N7 does me great for taking lecture notes. Also have yet to find the perfect note-taking app; but have an okay one so far.
What do you use? And do you use a stylus of some sort? I have the N7 II!
Old 02-07-2014 at 12:29 PM   #9
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I bought an iPad for note taking and it really works for me. It avoids carrying my heavy laptop to school everyday. I use an app called Evernote to write all my lecture notes. This particular app syncs all your notes in the Evernote website and on other devices as long as you have the app.

As for downloading lecture notes from avenue (word doc, PowerPoint, PDF, etc.) you can also store them with Evernote but I much prefer using Google Drive for that. Some of my textbooks are in PDF form so I store them in iBooks. It sure save me a lot of money of buying a physical copy of the textbook. I also bought a Bluetooth keyboard and stylus to go along with the iPad. It's very helpful for school on my part. Of course there are some people who doesn't like it...
Old 02-07-2014 at 11:19 PM   #10
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

What is wrong with the good old pen and paper? I hand write all notes and it helps you memorize things! depends on what style you learn but looking at a computer or tablet screen for hours strains your eyes
Old 02-07-2014 at 11:24 PM   #11
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
What is wrong with the good old pen and paper? I hand write all notes and it helps you memorize things! depends on what style you learn but looking at a computer or tablet screen for hours strains your eyes
The traditional pen and paper for note taking is the greatest but for some reason I can't write fast enough during lectures. Besides having my ipad for note taking I also have a pen and paper with just in case there are equations and drawings involved.
Old 02-08-2014 at 12:37 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
What do you use? And do you use a stylus of some sort? I have the N7 II!
Handwrite/handdraw and I use a micro-knit fiber pen (New Trent).

anonanon987 says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 02-08-2014 at 12:56 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Handwrite/handdraw and I use a micro-knit fiber pen (New Trent).
I see, I'll look into it, thanks Ryan! Would you recommend any apps that you can take notes on top of a .ppt or .pdf that's free and can upload to Dropbox possibly? :p
Old 02-08-2014 at 03:25 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I see, I'll look into it, thanks Ryan! Would you recommend any apps that you can take notes on top of a .ppt or .pdf that's free and can upload to Dropbox possibly? :p
I think I used PDF annotator when I took notes that way; I either use pen or do handwrite most of the time though
Old 02-08-2014 at 03:50 PM   #15
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Thanks for all the replies.
So... ipads don't let you directly download lecture notes from Avenue..?