MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it worth it to even try? Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-15-2010 03:36 PM
Is Horizons worth it? chanduru First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-27-2010 07:51 PM
Minors really worth it? tammy37 Academics 36 08-21-2009 10:21 AM
Is it worth buying the mcpass? hiba First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-26-2009 09:05 PM
Horizon worth it? VoyozooT General Discussion 14 07-23-2009 11:47 PM

Worth buying a Macpass?

Old 06-30-2009 at 09:28 AM   #1
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Worth buying a Macpass?
Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether it is worth spending 120 dollars and buying a macpass?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:39 AM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Yes, especially if you will be living in residence.

Most of the events you need a Macpass to go, especially the big ones like faculty day and faculty night. If you want to meet and make friends with people who will be in your faculty/program these are really great events to go to.

Also with the Macpass you get all kinds of useful free swag including a residence t-shirt and a faculty t-shirt as well as stuff like umbrellas or waterbottles, keychains etc, whatever your faculty decides on.

If you want to meet lots of people and make friends I would suggest getting your Macpass and going to as many of the Welcome Week events as possible. You won't regret it.

A lot of people complain about how some events are slack at checking Macpasses but big stuff like faculty day/night definitely check and those are the best events. Also if you don't buy a Macpass that hurts the quality of Welcome Week. They need that money to put all the great events on and buy all the great stuff for the students. If you don't buy it you may be able to sneak into an event or two but how good will the event be if no one puts up the money to help pay for the awesome welcome week events.

I bought one and thought it was a good choice.
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:40 AM   #3
janeller

Liked: 3 Times

it's SO worth buying. you get a whole laundry bag full of swagg including a your residence's themed tshirt and your faculty tshirt. you get free passes to the concerts and all the activities. def spend the money or you'll be left out during welcome week for the most part.
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:47 AM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

No. I didn't think it was worth it. You can be involved in WW without one, I know a few people who didn't.

Unless you actually like the bands playing, it's really not worth it. From my experience first year, at most events they didn't check for wrist bands because of the large number of students. I basically ended up paying $120 for a bunch of stuff that I didn't use - except the calendar, which is $10 at titles and to see Sam Roberts. My mac sci umbrella broke after a huge storm ;__;.

It's up to you really.
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:57 AM   #5
janeller

Liked: 3 Times

except you'll look really lame when you're the only one on your floor who doesn't have a residence tshirt.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:04 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeller View Post
except you'll look really lame when you're the only one on your floor who doesn't have a residence tshirt.
Not really lame, just kind of out of place. Plus you'll want a res and faculty t-shirt. It's a great memory of Welcome Week.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:06 AM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

You won't have much a chance to notice the lameness though since you won't actually see or meet most of your rez mates since they'll be busy having Welcome Week fun.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:10 AM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
You won't have much a chance to notice the lameness though since you won't actually see or meet most of your rez mates since they'll be busy having Welcome Week fun.

Too bad you can still participate in WW without the wristband. Moot point.

Quote:

I certainly hope that's not the only reason for getting a pass. :|

Jeremy, you can still get res/faculty gear during the year. Some of the sweaters are actually really nice.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:10 AM   #9
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeller View Post
is there no other way to get the residence and faculty t shirts?
i know it might sound a little weird but are the t shirts available for all sizes?
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:16 AM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goelk View Post
is there no other way to get the residence and faculty t shirts?
i know it might sound a little weird but are the t shirts available for all sizes?
I don't know about residence shirts but some faculty shirts are available to buy after Welcome Week. It's just whatever they have left over though.

They make the shirts in all different sizes but it's first come first serve though. Like whoever picks up their Macpasses first gets first choice and once they run out of a size that's it. They tend to run out of the small sizes first from what I remember though.

Jesus you keep saying you can get into lots of events without the Macpass but for most of the big/popular events this isn't true. Also if you go to an even without a Macpass and then they do check you're out of luck so you'll miss out on something you were planning to go to. I think after all the complaints they've gotten over the years they continue to try harder to check Macpasses at events, it's just a hard job with so many students.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:18 AM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post

Too bad you can still participate in WW without the wristband. Moot point.

I certainly hope that's not the only reason for getting a pass. :|

Jeremy, you can still get res/faculty gear during the year. Some of the sweaters are actually really nice.
But can you get the t-shirts that you sweated in all week? The t-shirts will be soaked in memories!

And yes, they did run out of smalls last year, luckily I got one ^-^
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:18 AM   #12
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Get the Macpass. You'll want the shirts definitely so that you meld into the crowd. It's awkward enough having to be in a new social group meeting lots of people for the first time, you don't want to be sticking out on top of that because you don't have your residence/faculty shirt.

Faculty day (which you need your shirt for) is also lots of fun.

I'd highly recommend you buy it.

janeller says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:21 AM   #13
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
But can you get the t-shirts that you sweated in all week? The t-shirts will be soaked in memories!

And yes, they did run out of smalls last year, luckily I got one ^-^
Well it's better they have bigger sizes available anyway. You can wear one that's too big but you can't wear a t-shirt that's too small for you.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:31 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Well it's better they have bigger sizes available anyway. You can wear one that's too big but you can't wear a t-shirt that's too small for you.
That's true. It always baffles me how stores in Canada have so many L, XL, XXL and even XXXL. But I am finding a lot more smalls and mediums this summers, so maybe they finally realized we are not America? Or maybe it's because I've change which stores I buy things at.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:44 AM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

So you can still buy the faculty T-shirts and sweaters and such throughout the year? Thanks guys btw.. you convinced me to get the MacPass as well.. Wouldn't wanna miss out