MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it worth it to even try? Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-15-2010 03:36 PM
Is Horizons worth it? chanduru First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-27-2010 07:51 PM
Minors really worth it? tammy37 Academics 36 08-21-2009 10:21 AM
Is it worth buying the mcpass? hiba First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-26-2009 09:05 PM
Horizon worth it? VoyozooT General Discussion 14 07-23-2009 11:47 PM

Worth buying a Macpass?

Old 06-30-2009 at 12:12 PM   #16
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
So you can still buy the faculty T-shirts and sweaters and such throughout the year? Thanks guys btw.. you convinced me to get the MacPass as well.. Wouldn't wanna miss out
You'll be glad you made that purchase.
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:29 PM   #17
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Its definitely worth buying the Macpass, it will make a wonderful Welcome Week experience at your first week in University and for returning reps an even more wonderful experience in helping out first years like they were helped when they were first years.
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:31 PM   #18
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Are there any events that AREN"T included in the MacPass? from previous years, or such ?
Old 06-30-2009 at 01:12 PM   #19
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Well I don't think you have to BUY the tshirts per se. I got free class of 2012 tshirts and knapsack bags twice at two General Meetings for the Socsci Faculty. They would have probably given them to you if you dropped by at the office as well I guess. But on a side note I would still recommend getting the MacPass, though I'm biased because I was in the lucky batch last year that got it subsidized by the MSU to $40 for Off campus students(Which I was) and I think 70-75 for Rez! Not sure what my reaction at $120 would be though :s

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-30-2009 at 01:17 PM   #20
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Wait, 120 bucks? Why am I remembering that it was 35 dollars... maybe that was something else...

Anyway, as a SOCS member last year, I didn't have that great of a Welcome Week. The only good thing about it is free stuff, and performances.

Edit: LOL. I just remembered, it was cheaper for those who weren't on residence. Haha. Oh well, I remember being super happy about it.

Edit: Scratch that, while it was cheaper, the MacPass was only 75 dollars for people on Res before Aug. 8 and 85 after.

Last edited by feonateresa : 06-30-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2009 at 01:21 PM   #21
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Feona it WAS 35 bucks for SOCS. The FYEO had a one year contract for subsidizing by the MSU or themselves(I don't remember which) and at the end of it they had to come up with alternate means to subsidize or sponsor the MacPass. Which they obviously didn't hence the Macpass reverting back to its old price of $120

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-30-2009 at 01:25 PM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Feona it WAS 35 bucks for SOCS. The FYEO had a one year contract for subsidizing by the MSU or themselves(I don't remember which) and at the end of it they had to come up with alternate means to subsidize or sponsor the MacPass. Which they obviously didn't hence the Macpass reverting back to its old price of $120
Hahaha yeah, sorry I just remembered. That's a pretty penny for sure though, but I mean, it is worth it for most people.
Old 06-30-2009 at 01:45 PM   #23
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

Honestly, the MacPass was SO worth it.
My wrist band broke during the Alexisonfire concert, and I kinda taped it back together and they definitely do check wristbands because I got a lot of people looking at my wrist funny and thinking I stole it or something =/. One of the my friends also couldn't get into I think it was karaoke night or whatever it was called because she didn't have her macpass... definitely need it for a lot of events.

Also, make sure you go early if you're smaller, I remember being told this and tried really hard to get there early (but it didn't help that I was one of the last move-in times) so they ran out of small t-shirts. =[

WW is the greatest, treasure it =].
Old 06-30-2009 at 02:07 PM   #24
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

This thread has been closed. Please post all questions about MACPASS 2009 in the MacPass 2009 Discussion Thread. Thanks!

-------

Here is all the information provided about MacPass via the First Year Experience Office website, and what you get with it. Read the items that you get with it and if you feel they are worth the money, then buy it. For students in residence, I feel it is worth more as there are specific residence events which you will want to take place in. For off-campus students, there are certain concerts and Faculty Day events that can make the pass worth it if you attend them all. However, if you don't see yourself attending those events, then you can still go and enjoy certain WW activities without the pass.

Here's the link: http://fye.mcmaster.ca/orprmacpasses.html

Also check out the other discussions on MacInsiders about MacPass:Last year these events did NOT REQUIRE the MacPass:
  1. MAC Connector (meet hundreds of fellow students all at once with icebreakers and games)
  2. Faculty Hollow Concerts
    TWO concerts, both are first-come-first-serve and will be two really well-known bands... but we can't say who yet! Keep checking back to MacInsiders and the MSU Campus Events website for details.
  3. Airbands
  4. PJ Parade (travel through the streets of the McMaster community showing your spirit)
  5. Comedy Night (featuring a top comedian!)
  6. Late Night Movie
  7. Sidewalk Sale
  8. Hypnotist
  9. Clubsfest - Sept 3rd, the Wednesday (be sure to stop by the MacInsiders booth!!!)
  10. MSU Tent/Table - Pick up your FREE almanac and wall calendar!
  11. Maroons - look out for the Maroons, they'll want to see your Mac spirit!
  12. Shinerama - read more
  13. Finale