MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it worth it to even try? Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-15-2010 03:36 PM
Education and Finance News finklej MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-24-2010 12:08 PM
FYC: Education and Community Questionnaire huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-22-2010 04:06 PM
distance education jasmin Academics 2 03-12-2010 07:17 PM
Education Pays Seminar temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 3 02-05-2009 09:17 AM

The worth of education cost.

Old 03-18-2011 at 01:32 AM   #1
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

The worth of education cost.

I'm curious.

Since you started University, what is the one learned textbook knowledge that you felt was completely worth your tuition cost? It can come in any form, either directly from a textbook or was taught to you by a professor or TA etc... It can be a subject or a particular point.

Keep in mind, I don't mean common life altering stuff like "Don't buy textbooks". But rather something like "Bulls don't see color (Psych 1XX3 Color Lectured)".

Obviously the worth of a particular point or subject can be desensitize over time. In that case, just list more than one. If possible provide the context and story to make the reply more interesting to read.

I'm expecting "Nothing" response. Reflect back and be honest.

Last edited by PHLN : 03-18-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2011 at 02:07 AM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Sorry phln. Couldn't really remember a course I had taken in either first/second year. In third year though, I seriously enjoyed my marketing course though. I didn't get the best mark in it though and people in my faculty would probably disagree.
Old 03-18-2011 at 02:44 AM   #3
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Sorry phln. Couldn't really remember a course I had taken in either first/second year. In third year though, I seriously enjoyed my marketing course though. I didn't get the best mark in it though and people in my faculty would probably disagree.
What about the marketing course that you feel it was worth the educational cost? Knowledge wise, was it the whole course that made it worth it? Or a particular subject?

Old 03-18-2011 at 03:05 AM   #4
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Why is your post awkwardly colored?

@Topic: 1st year Java course, completely worth it (except the written code exams). C++ could have been worth it if I had paid more attention, this term's python course might pay well at the end. Even though I did bad in MicroEcon, I feel it taught me some basic stuff.

Next year Comp sci Database course will be really good from what I'm observing, so will the Network Security course. This summer MMedia 1B03 should also be worth the money.
Old 03-18-2011 at 03:12 AM   #5
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

My post isn't awkwardly coloured.

It'd be awkwardly coloured if I had random letters in red though.
Old 03-18-2011 at 05:03 AM   #6
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

In my opinion, we pay the tuition for the degree that we get at the end of completing all the required courses. All that we learn in school can be learnt by self, its just that by paying tuition, our lazy asses are forced to learn stuff so that we don't end up paying even more tuition by failing. People who realize the real value for the money they are paying make sure to actually learn some stuff. Others either manage to pass or get kicked out of school.

To answer your question: There isn't any specific course work/material that I find was worth my money. BUT, there is other stuff that I might not have been able to learn if I weren't at school such as, self discipline, networking, communicating effectively, thinking out of the box, etc...

PS: @PHLN, man, you and your fantasy with pigs... Now I have a mental picture of you as a pig... Don't know whether or not its a compliment for you...

Last edited by nikJ : 03-18-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Old 03-18-2011 at 05:42 AM   #7
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Eventually, you will run out of pig images. What will you turn to then?

Mikob11, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 03-18-2011 at 07:44 AM   #8
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
In my opinion, we pay the tuition for the degree that we get at the end of completing all the required courses. All that we learn in school can be learnt by self, its just that by paying tuition, our lazy asses are forced to learn stuff so that we don't end up paying even more tuition by failing. People who realize the real value for the money they are paying make sure to actually learn some stuff. Others either manage to pass or get kicked out of school.

To answer your question: There isn't any specific course work/material that I find was worth my money. BUT, there is other stuff that I might not have been able to learn if I weren't at school such as, self discipline, networking, communicating effectively, thinking out of the box, etc...

PS: @PHLN, man, you and your fantasy with pigs... Now I have a mental picture of you as a pig... Don't know whether or not its a compliment for you...
What do you think of European countries where post-secondary education is free?
Old 03-18-2011 at 09:05 AM   #9
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:

But rather something like "Bulls don't see color (Psych 1XX3 Color Lectured)".
I see what you did there.
Old 03-18-2011 at 09:29 AM   #10
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Shouldamadeithardertosee
You put way too much work into that.
Old 03-18-2011 at 10:41 AM   #11
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

The Janeway Immunobiology textbook = FANTASTIC, i learned SOOO much from this and in line with that the Hth Sci 3I03/4II3 courses - so much relevance/applicability to everything science.
Old 03-18-2011 at 10:43 AM   #12
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
You put way too much work into that.
The context was that when he first made this topic, the "hidden" message was in bright red >_>
Old 03-18-2011 at 10:59 AM   #13
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
The context was that when he first made this topic, the "hidden" message was in bright red >_>
Ah, fail.

Still, you put way to much time into that.
Old 03-18-2011 at 02:41 PM   #14
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Why is your post awkwardly colored?
Quote:
My post isn't awkwardly coloured.

It'd be awkwardly coloured if I had random letters in red though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Ah, fail.

Still, you put way to much time into that.
Poor Jeffrey. Trying to copy me and got all the hate. I'm surprise you saw the original red letter version of mine, I edited that within 5 minutes caused I realize it was too easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
I see what you did there.
Did you? That bit of info really woke me up and got me ponder about this question. Out of all the courses I take, I have learn so much relevant thing in Psych compared to other courses.

I always thought Psych to be the boring, I seat here you seat there type. But Psych contains so much Biology processes that it is so fun to learn. I am really having a blast learning about memory and repression. It is also great to know about false memory (I'm still thinking of taking advantage of it somehow).

---

The response so far favor programming, business and health science courses. Curious to why there is no math or physic yet.
Old 03-18-2011 at 03:11 PM   #15
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Poor Jeffrey. Trying to copy me and got all the hate. I'm surprise you saw the original red letter version of mine, I edited that within 5 minutes caused I realize it was too easy.

Did you? That bit of info really woke me up and got me ponder about this question. Out of all the courses I take, I have learn so much relevant thing in Psych compared to other courses.

I always thought Psych to be the boring, I seat here you seat there type. But Psych contains so much Biology processes that it is so fun to learn. I am really having a blast learning about memory and repression. It is also great to know about false memory (I'm still thinking of taking advantage of it somehow).

---

The response so far favor programming, business and health science courses. Curious to why there is no math or physic yet.
They're too busy doing math and physics to be on MI