MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Into Life Sciences!!! meikaelahmad Academics 42 08-11-2010 12:10 PM
Life Sciences dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-29-2009 08:14 PM
Will I get into Life Sciences? sanahsameen Academics 31 02-24-2009 09:42 AM

Would I get Accepted into Life Sciences at Mac

Old 04-15-2010 at 09:06 PM   #1
Imtiaz

Liked: 1 Time

Would I get Accepted into Life Sciences at Mac
OK i was wondering if its possible for me to get accepted into life sciences if my average is currently 85.8%. On the Mac Master's site it said that you have to have a minimum of 83-85% so i was wondering what are my chances of getting in? i am really stressed although i got into engineering already so can some please help me out here.
Old 04-15-2010 at 09:07 PM   #2
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

you should be fine, thats a fairly competitive average.

Imtiaz likes this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 09:11 PM   #3
Imtiaz

Thanks. Hopefully it is. BTW When do you think i would get an offer of acceptance from Mac?
Old 04-15-2010 at 09:14 PM   #4
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

i started mac in the life sciences and transferred to health sciences for my second year, mac usually sends out its acceptances late when compared to other schools. You should have your acceptance by the end of the month.

Imtiaz likes this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 09:15 PM   #5
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtiaz View Post
Thanks. Hopefully it is. BTW When do you think i would get an offer of acceptance from Mac?
probably this or next month i suppose..just keep it within/above the cutoff(stay above to be safe) and you'll get in no sweat..great avg btw keep it up!

Imtiaz likes this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 09:18 PM   #6
Imtiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
probably this or next month i suppose..just keep it within/above the cutoff(stay above to be safe) and you'll get in no sweat..great avg btw keep it up!
Thanks
Old 04-15-2010 at 10:49 PM   #7
RumS

Liked: 0 Times

high school summer school courses
Hi!
I'm planning to go to Mac for Life Sciences. I'm starting my session in September this year. I want to know, can I upgrade my Calculus and Vectors mark in summer school this year, since it is required for my program?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2010 at 06:08 AM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumS View Post
Hi!
I'm planning to go to Mac for Life Sciences. I'm starting my session in September this year. I want to know, can I upgrade my Calculus and Vectors mark in summer school this year, since it is required for my program?

Thanks
What do you mean by upgrade? If you already got in with the mark you have, why would you want to upgrade it more? lol

You could always take Math 1L03 or something in the summer at McMaster. It's basically Calculus (and Vectors?), but in the university - and it would count as a credit!
Old 04-16-2010 at 07:54 AM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Math 1L03 is Stats when it was taught last year, so it's the equivalent to Data Management. The poster would be taking Math 1B03 which is the next step up from Calc and Vectors. I don't think they can redo C&V at Mac, just take the next respective course.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 04-16-2010 at 10:18 AM   #10
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Math 1L03 is Stats when it was taught last year, so it's the equivalent to Data Management. The poster would be taking Math 1B03 which is the next step up from Calc and Vectors. I don't think they can redo C&V at Mac, just take the next respective course.
Well, 1B03 branches off the 'vectors' bit, and 1A03 / 1XX3 branches off the 'calculus' bit. Due to the nature of the Calc & Vectors 4U course, both 1A/1X and 1B review quite a bit, as some students may not have had enough prior exposure to one or the other...

Old 04-16-2010 at 11:00 PM   #11
RumS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
What do you mean by upgrade? If you already got in with the mark you have, why would you want to upgrade it more? lol

You could always take Math 1L03 or something in the summer at McMaster. It's basically Calculus (and Vectors?), but in the university - and it would count as a credit!
Well, the thing is my mark for that course is the lowest of my other marks: 66% That's why I want to upgrade it.
So you're saying that if i take either Math 1L03/other that's mentioned at Mac, it's a credit equivalent to Calculus & Vectors?

Last edited by RumS : 04-16-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2010 at 11:31 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Well, the thing is my mark for that course is the lowest of my other marks: 66% That's why I want to upgrade it.
So you're saying that if i take either Math 1L03/other that's mentioned at Mac, it's a credit equivalent to Calculus & Vectors?
It may not actually be Math 1L03, like the poster's above mentioned, but ya, there is a course available that is basically for people who never took it in high school or just simply didn't do great. I think it would be more worth your time to look into that than summer school for high school.
Old 04-16-2010 at 11:43 PM   #13
RumS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
It may not actually be Math 1L03, like the poster's above mentioned, but ya, there is a course available that is basically for people who never took it in high school or just simply didn't do great. I think it would be more worth your time to look into that than summer school for high school.
oh ok thanks!!
Old 04-20-2010 at 02:22 AM   #14
RumS

ok ,so my midterm marks so far for my 6 courses are:

Biology - 76
Chemistry - 80
English - 84
OLC - 85
The average of these courses is 81.25 %
Do the universities check the average of whatever midterm marks you have this semester only, or will they check it with the final marks in semester one? Because with my two final marks (Adv Func - 81, Physics - 75), the average is 80% on the dot.
And would I get in with an 80 average??
Old 04-20-2010 at 09:35 AM   #15
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
ok ,so my midterm marks so far for my 6 courses are:

Biology - 76
Chemistry - 80
English - 84
OLC - 85
The average of these courses is 81.25 %
Do the universities check the average of whatever midterm marks you have this semester only, or will they check it with the final marks in semester one? Because with my two final marks (Adv Func - 81, Physics - 75), the average is 80% on the dot.
And would I get in with an 80 average??
I'm not sure if you'd get in with an 80 average, but then I don't know the cutoff. Last year I think it was 86-88%, but this year it may well be much lower...

Good luck.