MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Will you support this candid picture project?
Yes! 7 10.77%
No. 58 89.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to know what's up with the McMaster Students Union ? Nosh MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-13-2010 10:26 PM
McMaster Students for Health Innovation needs YOU! MSHI Clubs & Groups 0 10-16-2008 09:38 AM
SPC Card for McMaster students Matt385 General Discussion 4 09-05-2008 10:34 PM

Would you be interested in candid pictures of McMaster students?

Old 07-26-2013 at 06:51 AM   #16
Kfaz

Liked: Liked 5 Times

Girls gone wild?
Old 07-26-2013 at 07:02 AM   #17
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I think it feeds into a culture of objecting, oversexualizing and generally demeaning women because you think other people want "hot people to look at". They have the entire Internet and thousands of celebrities that they can Google for just that purpose.

Students aren't coming to school to be photographed and ogled on your website without their permission, and the fact that you're already doing it demonstrates what little regard you have for people's privacy and what little respect you have for women.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

AndrewS says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

Old 07-26-2013 at 09:29 AM   #18
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Speaking as a female...
If I saw McMaster propaganda like this when I was picking a university, I would be more inclined to go somewhere else. I think it's a terrible thing to do...it's one thing if guys are speaking to their friends, but it certainly another to make it public. I'd be appalled if I saw a random picture of myself online in a...what was the term? "sexy context"...especially as a consider myself a very private and modest person.

AndrewS says thanks to Zebedee for this post.

Old 07-26-2013 at 10:02 AM   #19
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Ugh. I don't even know where to start with how repulsive this idea is.

AndrewS says thanks to ashleighp for this post.

Old 07-26-2013 at 12:35 PM   #20
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

horrible idea. self-esteem issues will be at an all time high. also, this would seem to attract creeps even more than facebook already does...

Old 07-26-2013 at 02:24 PM   #21
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

This post disgusts me. Period.

Old 07-26-2013 at 03:40 PM   #22
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

This is a troll post, right?

Zebedee says thanks to Biochem47 for this post.

Amaryll, ashleighp, Zebedee like this.
Old 07-26-2013 at 04:35 PM   #23
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
This is what I'm thinking, I can't believe anyone would think they could get away with this without consequences. Its got to be a troll.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 07-26-2013
Jesse.C
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-26-2013 at 09:23 PM   #24
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Am I missing something? Creepiness aside, why do we want MORE students to come to Mac? It's hard enough to get onto SOLAR/find a seat in MUSC as it is.

AndrewS, Zebedee like this.
Old 07-26-2013 at 09:26 PM   #25
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Am I missing something? Creepiness aside, why do we want MORE students to come to Mac? It's hard enough to get onto SOLAR/find a seat in MUSC as it is.
I agree. Every year, the school gets more and more crowded to the point where I'm becoming claustrophobic...
Aside from that, not a great idea to take photos of people without their permission. That's just being a stalker...

moonlitnight likes this.
Old 07-27-2013 at 05:43 AM   #26
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/37f/4cc...ion-191d4b.jpg

jim1, PhilM, Watoko like this.
Old 07-27-2013 at 03:03 PM   #27
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Yike! Here is my long reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
No. I was quite serious.

If you do a quick google search, you will find that there ARE students weighing in on the quality of the student body among other criteria when picking a University. Just do a quick search of "hot girls at university_name".

Most recent post is here. I was quite upset when someone bashed our campus by saying its littered with "brown girls with moustaches".

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinbf View Post
. . . unless you have their permission, your just asking for a heap of trouble from the University.
I will do a legal search for this. My impression is that it is completely legal to take a picture of someone on public property. Its only against the law when reasonable privacy is expected and of course, if its not voyeurism.

Having a friend read my original thread, it does seems a bit creepy. I didn't mean for it to sound that way. What I wanted is to show how beautiful our student body is at McMaster through the means of natural photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
Also, why not attractive guys as well? You say "everyone would love to go to a school with hot girls" ... well, half of prospective students are female. So I don't see how having "hot girls" would entice them.
Good idea. That is a option. In fact, one of my biggest mistake is not labeling that this thread is for male only.

I'm going to have to comb through the results and delete any vote from females. Sorry ladies! How many female originally was against Playboy? If Hugh listened to them, history won't be as it is today. Then again, I am not saying the content will be the same at all! I will have to get someone that is more eloquent with words to craft out a better description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbojones View Post
Sounds good zuckerberg. Can we name the site, facesmash.com?
I am thinking of using Imgur as a photo host and another public site to index it. Maybe a subreddit? How about r/MACcuties?

This way, costs are minimize and people can focus on uploading the best content possible. A subreddit would have a prebuild voting system which should work quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
I like ugly girls though :/
And I love chubby girls. Whatever you like would fit in your definition of attractive.

So lets reword the description of the project right now. It will strictly be candid picture of awesome students of McMaster. Might even remove the candid picture restriction and allow people to post posed photos too.
Old 07-27-2013 at 03:15 PM   #28
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Honestly, if people are making choices of university based on how attractive they find the girls (and even Googling "hot girls at ___"), then I do not want them at the same institution I am attending. Let them go to Western.

Old 07-27-2013 at 04:55 PM   #29
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
Honestly, if people are making choices of university based on how attractive they find the girls (and even Googling "hot girls at ___"), then I do not want them at the same institution I am attending. Let them go to Western.
Attractiveness has been linked to health of the individuals. Healthy students tend to mean that the University have a great support system, like athletic and mental health counselling.

When a person is mentality healthy (eg: not depressed), they tend to walk differently. They have a smile on the face and they actually look elsewhere beside straight down to the ground. You would want to pick a University that has great happy students caused it means that there is a great underlying support system in placed.

Physical health is tied to mental health including self esteem. This is why our own McMaster Wellness Center advocate for physical exercise to keep your body healthy and prevent stress from breaking you down.

Both of this aspect end up summing down to the basic word of attractiveness, but you have to look deeper!