MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This makes me cry (x2) PHLN General Discussion 9 02-04-2011 11:24 AM
This makes me cry Chris98 General Discussion 18 02-03-2011 09:20 AM
Retaking a course makes me have 27 credits? patela77 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 01-09-2011 11:54 AM
This song makes me want to daaaance Kendoon General Discussion 21 11-03-2010 05:26 AM
What makes you rage @ Mac? (FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU) MacEng General Discussion 30 01-20-2010 08:49 PM

Would you like to know how much your prof makes?

Old 02-26-2011 at 05:41 PM   #31
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Dr. Ball, fock yeeeahhh.

I only see 2-3 cool profs there, and a lot of my arsehole proffs, this is not kewel.
Jamal Deen: $173,997.40

umad?

RyanC likes this.
Old 02-26-2011 at 05:53 PM   #32
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
But I was just thinking that if salary was based on popularity, professors would be more lenient towards students, using grades and giving out extensions to gain popularity and thus more $$.

Biggest effect this would have is that smarter students won't be able to identify themselves as easily.
Or you can look at it from a positive point of view.

Don't connect the word "popular" with being spineless. A prof can still challenge and teach what he is suppose to.

Take Prof Childs for example. His Cores is always packed with people sitting in even if they are from a different section.

Why is he so popular?

His method and examples are clearer. Everyone can agree that as a result, they learn better when being taught by him.

One way to prevent abuse is to make sure all the exams are prepared by those that do not personally teach the course. That way the marks aren't tainted (so to speak) and the prof will have to work even harder to prepare the students for it.

ikantsepll likes this.
Old 02-26-2011 at 06:24 PM   #33
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Why would he be made fun of because his wife makes more than he does?
To be honest, I don't think the culture has matured enough yet to accept females earning more than males in a household. Sad, but true.

And I was just joking about Ken Sills being embarrassed. He has pointed out that his wife is the associate dean multiple times, and jokes about how she's the boss.
Old 02-26-2011 at 07:33 PM   #34
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
Sad to see that my favorite prof from first year (Ken Sills - Physics) didn't make the list.

But I chuckled when I saw that his wife makes more than him. I wonder if the other physics profs look at this and make fun of him
He is retired, no?
Old 02-26-2011 at 07:36 PM   #35
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrhosis View Post
I don't think he publishes much or at all, which is why he isn't getting top dollar.
106k isn't really anything to scoff at.

Child's rocks, I'm glad he makes at least that much.
Old 02-26-2011 at 07:45 PM   #36
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
He is retired, no?
I hope not, he was a great prof.

But you may be right, his band site says they have upcoming shows, and his course content site doesn't look like it was updated since I took the course last year.
Old 02-26-2011 at 08:07 PM   #37
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
I would love to be in that situation! My secret desire is to be a stay at home dad.
She pays the rent while I watch TV

EDIT: However only after earning an education and skills would I have decided this was best for the family because a spouse should always have a way out. I would contribute to the household by running errands and chores while taking care of our children and/or pets as well as watch tv in my spare time when I'm not super busy coaching Angela's hockey team in the winter time

Last edited by julianface : 02-26-2011 at 08:10 PM.