MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Creative Writing English Course MichaelScarn Academics 28 06-09-2011 03:07 PM
Creative Writing Club? Faer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-06-2010 02:48 PM
Writing a book on Web Design aaront Computers & Tech 17 05-17-2010 02:13 PM
1Z06 Beginner's Intensive Japanese Pay919 Academics 16 06-30-2008 01:33 AM

Writing Intensive Course

Old 06-15-2011 at 01:25 PM   #1
h9i9j9

Liked: 0 Times

Writing Intensive Course
Hey guys,

I was looking into some grad school options in the states. Most of them require either english or a "writing intensive course". The only requirement for this course is that it has to focus on developing writing skills. (doesn't have to be administered by the english department.) I was wondering if anyone knows of such "writing intensive course"?
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2011 at 01:42 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by h9i9j9 View Post
Hey guys,

I was looking into some grad school options in the states. Most of them require either english or a "writing intensive course". The only requirement for this course is that it has to focus on developing writing skills. (doesn't have to be administered by the english department.) I was wondering if anyone knows of such "writing intensive course"?
Thanks in advance!
I would contact the schools you're interested in and ask them about the courses you're interested in, better yet, send the course outlines and descriptions. I know a lot of schools accept courses that can be from other departments besides English, as long as there's a certain amount of writing e.g. 2000 words of essays or something. So each school would have it's own requirement.
Old 06-15-2011 at 01:45 PM   #3
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
I know that the focus of English 1CS3 was to improve writing skills? And, even if it's not, the cultural studies course still counts as an English credit.
Old 06-15-2011 at 01:49 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

English 1CS3 focuses on how to write a thesis statement, how to check your work etc.

traveler10 says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.
Old 06-15-2011 at 01:56 PM   #5
h9i9j9

thanks for that fast replys!

hmm, I would send course descriptions to schools, but I just haven't found any writing intensive courses outside of the english department. (I know they accept english)

English 1CS3 is not open to upper year student tho:( Its reserved for the first year students and they fill all the spots.
Old 06-15-2011 at 02:11 PM   #6
Unknown111

Liked: 2 Times

Go for English 1A03 or 1AA3. Enough writing...
Old 06-15-2011 at 02:15 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

English 1CS3 is not open to upper year student tho:( Its reserved for the first year students and they fill all the spots.
No it's not :/. There's no pre-req requiring registration in level I or anything:

An introduction to the fields of Cultural Studies and Critical Theory with a study of a range of theoretical approaches to culture as a site of meaning, identities, power, and pleasure. Considerable emphasis will be placed on the development of effective writing skills. Two lectures, one tutorial; one term

Cross-List(s): CSCT 1CS3
Antirequisite(s): CSCT 1B03, 1BB3, ENGLISH 1B03, 1BB3
Old 06-15-2011 at 02:41 PM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Trying emailing our English Department, they might have had similar questions in the past and could offer some suggestions. Maybe link/tell them the requirement too.
Old 06-15-2011 at 02:46 PM   #9
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

English 1CS3
English 1CS3
English 1CS3
English 1CS3
Old 06-15-2011 at 05:23 PM   #10
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

If you're looking for outside the English department, History 1AA3 with Dr. Horn has 4 essays throughout the term, and the exam had two essays. Would they consider that writing intensive, because it pretty much killed me throughout the term?...
Old 06-15-2011 at 07:41 PM   #11
h9i9j9

I actually called the english department and they told me that there is no spots for upper year AT ALL this year:(
O well, I'll try talking to the prof...maybe she'll let me in

@Dorey: I was actually thinking like a science/engineering based writing course. (ie. like how to write reports etc). I think if history killed you, its definitely gonna kill me
Old 06-15-2011 at 07:48 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I actually called the english department and they told me that there is no spots for upper year AT ALL this year:(
O well, I'll try talking to the prof...maybe she'll let me in
Woah, really? Is there a specific reason for that :/?
Old 06-15-2011 at 07:54 PM   #13
h9i9j9

They say they accepted a lot of students this year. Also, due to the recession, some profs got cut, so there's less courses overall now, so all the first years have to take the same courses. (I think 1cs3 was two courses at one time; 1b03 and 1bb3. but they combined them).

~*Sara*~ says thanks to h9i9j9 for this post.