MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's wrong with McMaster? julianface General Discussion 98 07-02-2011 08:59 PM
What's wrong with my OSAP? GregoryVV Financial Aid 1 08-17-2010 01:04 AM
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG -timetable MIpolice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-12-2010 10:33 AM
Wrong Address goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-30-2009 03:01 AM
Am I doing something wrong here? kacey24 Academics 4 09-29-2007 10:09 PM

wrong SOLAR date?

Old 06-05-2012 at 11:30 PM   #1
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

wrong SOLAR date?
I'm supposed to register for level 3 Social Sciences (I successfully completed my second year with all the required courses) . I just logged in into SOLAR, but my date for registration appears as June 12, which is the reg. date for level 2 soc. sciences. Has this happened to anyone? What can i do about it? I don't want all my courses to fill up
Old 06-05-2012 at 11:34 PM   #2
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

talk to your academic advisor ASAP
Old 06-06-2012 at 12:02 AM   #3
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

This just happened to me too! :| What the hell.
Old 06-06-2012 at 12:06 AM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Did you complete all 30 units/required courses for 2nd year ? If so, contact the undergrad soc sci advisor asap because they won't be able to guarantee spots in courses you could've registered in, unfortunately :(
Old 06-06-2012 at 12:24 AM   #5
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Did you complete all 30 units/required courses for 2nd year ? If so, contact the undergrad soc sci advisor asap because they won't be able to guarantee spots in courses you could've registered in, unfortunately :(
I realize it's a bit irrational but I really wish they'd made that clear to those of us who didn't complete 30 units prior to today.
Old 06-06-2012 at 12:39 AM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
I realize it's a bit irrational but I really wish they'd made that clear to those of us who didn't complete 30 units prior to today.
I definitely agree that it should've been clearer. But I guess they assume that the minority of people who didn't complete 30 credits would be aware of this issue later. I remember a few people having the same issue last year, but I can't remember if they had to wait till the July date. It might still be worth emailing the associate dean's office/faculty advisor anyway. You never know!
Old 06-06-2012 at 12:58 AM   #7
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I definitely agree that it should've been clearer. But I guess they assume that the minority of people who didn't complete 30 credits would be aware of this issue later. I remember a few people having the same issue last year, but I can't remember if they had to wait till the July date. It might still be worth emailing the associate dean's office/faculty advisor anyway. You never know!
Wait, why would they have to wait until the July date? Right now it just states that we have to wait until June 12th... Either way, I emailed already and I'm calling tomorrow morning. REALLY hoping that this gets cleared up somehow.
Old 06-06-2012 at 01:11 AM   #8
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Wait, why would they have to wait until the July date? Right now it just states that we have to wait until June 12th... Either way, I emailed already and I'm calling tomorrow morning. REALLY hoping that this gets cleared up somehow.
Assuming you are continuing into second year anthropology. In order to be admitted

30 units from the Level I program completed prior to admission to the program. (See Admission)
Since you have not completed 30 units you can't be placed into the second year program and therefore have to pick with the first years. What most faculties do is that they audit you for the second year only until you have finished the remaining courses.
Old 06-06-2012 at 07:57 AM   #9
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
Assuming you are continuing into second year anthropology. In order to be admitted

30 units from the Level I program completed prior to admission to the program. (See Admission)
Since you have not completed 30 units you can't be placed into the second year program and therefore have to pick with the first years. What most faculties do is that they audit you for the second year only until you have finished the remaining courses.
I'm in second year Anthropology, I already have my Level 1 units, those were finished in Level 1 so I don't really understand what you're saying. SOLAR is stating I have to pick with the second years on June 12th rather than the third years last night like I thought I would be. I started at Mac in September 2010, this will be my third September here.
Old 06-06-2012 at 08:43 AM   #10
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

for you and whoever has this problem, i spoke to my department's office and they told me i have to fill a request form for those classes that require level 3 or above, since i am still considered a level 2 (you are supposed to have 54 units by the end of second year, i have 51). in my case the form is in the soc. website, you'd have to find out where it is for your specific department. they will only consider waiver forms in august.

for the classes that don't require level 3, we have to pray they aren't full by june 12.
Old 06-06-2012 at 09:26 AM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I'm in second year Anthropology, I already have my Level 1 units, those were finished in Level 1 so I don't really understand what you're saying. SOLAR is stating I have to pick with the second years on June 12th rather than the third years last night like I thought I would be. I started at Mac in September 2010, this will be my third September here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagoeb View Post
for you and whoever has this problem, i spoke to my department's office and they told me i have to fill a request form for those classes that require level 3 or above, since i am still considered a level 2 (you are supposed to have 54 units by the end of second year, i have 51). in my case the form is in the soc. website, you'd have to find out where it is for your specific department. they will only consider waiver forms in august.

for the classes that don't require level 3, we have to pray they aren't full by june 12.
Looks like the Anthro department doesn't work the same way with waiver forms. You'll have to contact the professors:

Quote:
Q. Can I register in an Anthropology course without the necessary prerequisite courses listed in the calendar.

A. The answer is generally no. However, there may be special circumstances, where a student may obtain permission to register without the necessary prerequisites. If you think you can make a solid case, as to why you can take a course without the prerequisite, please email the instructor to request permission.
http://www.anthropology.mcma ster.c...e-program/faqs
Old 06-06-2012 at 09:46 AM   #12
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

I was admitted into a program and didn't have all of the credits. My academic advisor said that you can be short 2 courses (6 units) at any time until you graduate.
Old 06-06-2012 at 12:29 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Oops, that's what I meant, sorry! I mixed up the dates with the one for non-degree students.

sarahsullz says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.