MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arts and Science vs. Health Science? ktc11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-18-2010 08:40 AM
Engineering cutoff / btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-06-2010 04:15 PM
Engineering Cutoff/Summerschool question kenvin100 Academics 11 05-07-2009 01:56 PM
Second year science- Cutoff Averages macsci General Discussion 1 04-04-2009 10:32 PM
What is the official cutoff for Radiation Sciences? kenvin100 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 05-02-2008 04:31 PM

wtf is the health science cutoff?

Old 05-10-2011 at 10:27 PM   #16
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Hey ryan, I think you need some FLAME for that pipe in ur android ;D

RyanC likes this.
Old 05-10-2011 at 10:28 PM   #17
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
If that person's school is anything like mine the English teachers mark ridiculously hard for no reason. I got an essay back with "You write REALLY well" on it yet she gave me high 70's/low 80's on it and I know I made no grammar or spelling errors. I was on another forum where people who got in posted their marks and one person got 100 in English. I could see mid to high 90's but 100? That is just weird. It is not like math or science where if you get the facts right or get the right answer you get 100. Sorry, I am just bothered because I normally get 90s but my English teacher is giving me 84. I won't complain too much because the class average is in the sixties.
Lol, yeah, our high school had a similar teacher who I had (but not in gr12, luckily). Most people got 50s-60s in his class, and I'm pretty sure the average on his exams is always < 50% (because everyone I've ever asked in his class pretty much failed the exam or got in the low 50s, max).

Still though, it wasn't impossible to get above 85%, 1 or 2 students per class managed that I think.
Old 05-10-2011 at 10:39 PM   #18
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

English is different....it really depends on the teachers. 20% of my grade is taking it at night school this semester because the teacher from our school this semester who is teaching it didn't give anyone more than an 83%. Only 4 people got over 75% out of her 2 classes she taught. So yea, eff english.
Old 05-10-2011 at 10:56 PM   #19
darklink121

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
This is what life sci people tell themselves to make them feel warm and fuzzy inside.

: )
On Snap! Oh no he didn't!

Old 05-10-2011 at 11:38 PM   #20
destroy

Liked: Liked 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
English is different....it really depends on the teachers. 20% of my grade is taking it at night school this semester because the teacher from our school this semester who is teaching it didn't give anyone more than an 83%. Only 4 people got over 75% out of her 2 classes she taught. So yea, eff english.
Based on my experiences from high school and from helping those who are currently in high school, I find that a lot of students do not read the required books, rely on spark notes, pulled all-nighters and fail to form original and complex thoughts in their English assignments. Yet students still expect mid 80s to 90s ... So, I am skeptical when people say English is ridiculously hard and that there are huge variations in marks based on the teacher. Maybe, it is just that some science-oriented students don't work hard enough at English due to having a huge focus on other subjects.

Old 05-11-2011 at 07:42 AM   #21
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

If you don't make it, don't worry. The regular science programs are better anyways =D

albalks, Little like this.
Old 05-11-2011 at 12:20 PM   #22
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

I didn't get in and I had a 95 lol, biochem is better anyways
Old 05-11-2011 at 01:19 PM   #23
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
If that person's school is anything like mine the English teachers mark ridiculously hard for no reason. I got an essay back with "You write REALLY well" on it yet she gave me high 70's/low 80's on it and I know I made no grammar or spelling errors. I was on another forum where people who got in posted their marks and one person got 100 in English. I could see mid to high 90's but 100? That is just weird. It is not like math or science where if you get the facts right or get the right answer you get 100. Sorry, I am just bothered because I normally get 90s but my English teacher is giving me 84. I won't complain too much because the class average is in the sixties.
any idiot can explain something they just read or watched. i guess the average person has good grammar and spelling when they explain it.. but what most people dont understant is that english is higher level thinking. like you said, math and science you just spit out the facts, but for english - or any other type of arts course, theres a certain degree of autonmy thats expected in your answers - meaning they dont want to know who said what and when - but rather why, or how that affects something.

i dont think english teachers mark hard, i just think people dont know how theyre supposed to answer things

Old 05-11-2011 at 08:18 PM   #24
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
any idiot can explain something they just read or watched. i guess the average person has good grammar and spelling when they explain it.. but what most people dont understant is that english is higher level thinking. like you said, math and science you just spit out the facts, but for english - or any other type of arts course, theres a certain degree of autonmy thats expected in your answers - meaning they dont want to know who said what and when - but rather why, or how that affects something.

i dont think english teachers mark hard, i just think people dont know how theyre supposed to answer things
I am just pissed because I have gotten 90 in English every year but this year. I am not some science student who is trashing English. I actually enjoy English. I am incredibly frustrated because English has always been a no fail good mark but it failed me the year I needed it most. I do actually try in the course. You honestly cannot tell me that 100 in English is plausible.

Last edited by MirandaC : 05-11-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2011 at 08:24 PM   #25
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

English was one of the hardest courses at my high school very few people got over 90....the average is usually low 70s....I have a huge amount of respect for all english majors....its hard to write well

AlexBatt, alh24 like this.
Old 05-11-2011 at 08:25 PM   #26
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

I'm a science student and I got 87 in grade 12 English, you just need to argue properly.
Old 05-11-2011 at 09:26 PM   #27
SydVicious
Account Locked

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
I didn't get in and I had a 95 lol, biochem is better anyways
its probably better this way, I mean someone who comes on here every month to btch about how loud people are in the library and how they want to kill them probably shouldn't be a doctor
Old 05-11-2011 at 09:26 PM   #28
SydVicious
Account Locked

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post

stop boosting

english=unemployed
Old 05-11-2011 at 09:29 PM   #29
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

English or any language level shouldn't mean that one shouldn't/can't be a doctor. I've met a handful of good doctors who aren't the most articulate type but at least, they care.
Old 05-11-2011 at 10:14 PM   #30
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
English or any language level shouldn't mean that one shouldn't/can't be a doctor.
Why's that? Does doing poorly in any subject particularly affect your idea of whether or not someone should be a doctor? If not, then fair enough, I suppose...